Etrex Auto Off With Power Adapter

Does anyone know if there is a way with the Etrex Legend to disable the auto power off feature when the external power source is disconnected? I am using a mini solar panel to power the GPS, and when the sun goes behind a cloud, the power drops out. The unit then pops up a window that says something like "Auto power off in 30 seconds - press any button to cancel". I would rather that the unit just ignore that the power has gone out, and use that battery, because if I'm not watching, it will power off when I don't want it to.

I couldn't find anything in the manual or by pushing buttons on the unit, but it seems like it should be an option. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is a way with the Etrex Legend to disable the auto power off feature when the external power source is disconnected? I am using a mini solar panel to power the GPS, and when the sun goes behind a cloud, the power drops out. The unit then pops up a window that says something like "Auto power off in 30 seconds - press any button to cancel". I would rather that the unit just ignore that the power has gone out, and use that battery, because if I'm not watching, it will power off when I don't want it to.

I couldn't find anything in the manual or by pushing buttons on the unit, but it seems like it should be an option. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Can't help you with the power off issue though I would like to know the answer myself. What I'm really interested in is what solar panel are you using and are you happy with it's performance?

Does anyone know if there is a way with the Etrex Legend to disable the auto power off feature when the external power source is disconnected?

If it's not somewhere in the setup menu, the answer is no. Could you do something like add a super-cap or rechargable battery so the GPS sees external power while the sun is behind a cloud?

AFAIK, there is no way to disable the auto off feature. Someone in one of the GPS newsgroups was complaining ad nauseum about it, but I like it. I use my Legend in the car with Mapopolis for driving directions, and when I kill the engine, I don't have to remember to turn off the GPS to save the batteries. It does it automatically. I just wish my reradiating antenna would do that - I sometimes leave the antenna on for hours while I'm away from the car. Fortunately, the battery drain is so low it doesn't seem to matter very much.

The panel I'm using is the Brunton Solarport 2.2. I is fairly small - about 7"x8" when open. It has various plugs for output. The easiest method I could find to connect it to my Venture was to buy the car adapter for the venture, and use the female car socket on the Brunton.

The panel I'm using is the Brunton Solarport 2.2. I is fairly small - about 7"x8" when open. It has various plugs for output. The easiest method I could find to connect it to my Venture was to buy the car adapter for the venture, and use the female car socket on the Brunton.

Very nice. Never thought of powering the GPS with Solar but I can see that it's very viable. They certainly don't draw very much power.

Wire it into the battery terminals, instead of using the external plug.