Geocaching Books Now Available

When I started Geocaching about 2 years ago I did a bookstore search for books on GPS or Geocaching. I found about 3 books on GPSs and none on Caching. Yesterday I was in a Border's and for the heck of it typed both searches into thier in store search system. I got 152 hits on GPS books and 4 on Geocaching.

Turns out three of the 4 caching books aren't out yet. (Geocaching for Dummies - I kid you not!, Idiot's guide to Geocaching - again I'm not kidding!, one I can't remember, AND Geocaching - technical advisor Kelly Markwell!) The last book was in the store. I leafed through it and it's a good intro to Geocaching book.

Jeremy, any thoughts on carrying these in the store? Maybe discounted for cachers?

Edited by Crusso

Pardon me for playing "Devil's Advocate," but what is there about geocaching that can't be learned from visiting the main website and then browsing the forums for half an hour? I mean, from reading the forums here, it's pretty clear that people don't even read the manual that came with their gps device.

I can imagine some of the chapters to be found in the various books: "How to create an unnatural rock pile," "Techniques for placing sticks parallel to each other," "The most often misspelled words used in geocaching," [i think they are 'cemetery' and 'weird,' with 'discrete' coming in a close third.] and "How to get your Vacation Cache, Virtual Cache, or Locationless Cache Approved." An appendix to the book will list a website where one can download "the latest secrets for getting those non-conforming caches approved." [The Swiss Bank Account #s of the approvers accepting "gratuities."]

I suppose books like that will prove to be more interesting to read in a few years, when the game has "matured" and 99% of the examples and links are no longer good ... sort of a "Nostalgic Look Back at Geocaching 2004."

BP: I think it's less for the seasoned geocacher and hiker and more for someone interested in getting involved. I know for me, "reading" a web site isn't the easiest thing to do. I'd rather read a book and do something to learn it.

Also, the book talks about other areas of the sport besides physically hiding and seeking a cache. It discusses, at a high level, hiking, being properly dressed/equipped, compasses, map reading, etc.

Now if you were an experienced hiker to start with, obviously you'd be aware of all these things, but for someone with a GPS that neither hiked nor geocached, I think it's a very well written intro to those areas. I haven't finished reading my copy, but I think a lot of folks will get value from it.

I guess I'll have to look it over the next time I'm in the bookstore for the sake of amusement. I've learned a few things from Markwell and his website, but I've also seen some misinformation and short answers that weren't very helpful in the forums. Hopefully he did a good job since there was obviously some preparation time in putting this together.

Having found double the caches in my first year than Markwell found in two years, I'm doubtful that there is anything more I can learn from him. However, this might have been something I would have bought as a newbie, had it been available at the time. So what took you so long? :D I wish him luck, it's nice to see others turning something they love into a profitable venture. :)

Just for the record, and also so the Author gets due credit, Erik Sherman wrote the book and is an avid geocacher. I believe his geocaching name is “the Writer”. I have seen his posts here before.

Erik Sherman is a widely published journalist and author. He is the author of three books, and his work has appeared in Newsweek, Continental, Technology Review, US News, Men’s Journal, CIO Insight, Computerworld, the New York Times Syndicate, and many other places. Before his writing career took precedence, Erik was a business and marketing consultant to companies ranging in size from start-up to Fortune 500. Prior to that, Erik was head of product marketing at a direct marketer of hardware and software for technical professionals. Erik is an avid outdoor enthusiast, is a certified scuba diver, and counts himself lucky to live near woods and a conservation area.

Having found double the caches in my first year than Markwell found in two years, I'm doubtful that there is anything more I can learn from him.

That's pretty arrogant, don't ya think?

I've got about 40 finds more then you once I finish logging. In those last 40 finds, I've seen 2 totally new to me hiding techniques. I've learned at least 2-3 things to enhance my safety and comfort while hiking/caching, even though I've regularly done 8-10 mile hikes most of my life. I've learned how to use features on my GPS that I had never bothered much with. And ya know what? All that info came from people with hundreds of finds less then me.

First: I did not write the book. I was asked by Erik Sherman (the author) to be a technical editor. I had fun reading the book and researching some of the technical stuff by talking with the people at Garmin and Magellan as well as discussing three-dimensional geometry with Erik. The book can be found here.

I agreed to help out with the book because I've never done anything like this before. I knew full well at the onset that I was not an expert, but I was willing to help by researching. If at any point I felt that the book was going to go down the tubes and not be worth my effort, I was going to bail and ask Erik to remove my name from the project, even though he never knew that. Luckily that never happened, and (IMPO) the book turned out pretty well. The Kudos go to Erik, not me.

======================

Sidebar:

Many cachers have more finds than I do. I also have a life outside of Geocaching. I'm a very involved father of two young boys, Assistant Cubmaster to our local BSA back, Handbell Choir director, sing in church choir, technical support for a major annual conference of our church's youth - which eats up about 2 months of my year's free time-, help out on our church's mission trips, and many, many, many other activities. I also participate in two other forms of GPS activities: Geodashing and Geodashing Golf.

I love caching. I cache when I can. But I also have my priorities for how I spend my time, and I'm happy with the balance in life I've reached. At this point in my life, I go caching about once or twice every other weekend unless other priorities come up. Throughout my entire caching career, I have tried to maintain the rate of finding one or two caches per week. My current lifetime rate is 1.55/week. I have a rather obsessive personality at times, and I learned a couple years ago with another hobby that I always need to keep my hobbies in check, or they take over my life. There have been many other cacher - including one local to us - that have an extremely high rate of finds, and then get out of the sport because "they're tired of finding tupperware in the woods." I don't ever want to get to that point.

For those of you that have a very high number of finds: I'm actually very impressed. I'm happy that you have the leisure time to devote to such a wonderful activity. My above post is not meant as a slam to you - just an explanation as to why I only have 256 finds over the last 3+ years.

Having found double the caches in my first year than Markwell found in two years, I'm doubtful that there is anything more I can learn from him.

I've got about 40 finds more then you once I finish logging. In those last 40 finds, I've seen 2 totally new to me hiding techniques. I've learned at least 2-3 things to enhance my safety and comfort while hiking/caching, even though I've regularly done 8-10 mile hikes most of my life. I've learned how to use features on my GPS that I had never bothered much with. And ya know what? All that info came from people with hundreds of finds less then me.

Very well said. :)

The day I wake-up knowing everything, is the day I die of boredom. IMHO

I will probably buy a few of these books. Certainly I'll buy the one Markwell was involved with. I remember when I first started, just about every question I had was answered by him in some way. E.g. through forum posts, his FAQ etc. Truly a very knowledgable and helpful person! Maybe I can learn something new from a book or two also? Even if I don't, I like the idea of having a geocaching book on my shelf and I am happy to see some being published. I simply love books. I think for many newcomers a book would be easier to use than the fourms for information as well. Now I'll have to hunt down Markwell sometime for an autograph! :)

Edited by carleenp

How so? It's not any more arrogant than some of your replies in the forums. I've learned a lot from Markwell and admit it freely more than once. I've even directed people to his FAQ's.

We might not see eye to eye on some issues but we agree on others. Ok, maybe that was a bit arrogant, I should explain further. When I started geocaching, Markwell was considered an expert because of his early start in the game. Sometimes he gives his expert opinion and I disagree. Early in the game he gave such an opinion that I didn't agree with and that's when I decided I would learn as much, if not more, about the game, and that is when I decided to double his experience in my first year, seing how he started a year before me.

Not that it mattered to him, I never challenged him, but it was a goal for me. Sigh, I guess it used to be more competetive back then with the Leaderboard and all. So anyway, I moved on beyond asking him for advice, I found the answers myself. But that doesn't mean that I couldn't learn from him because you see, it was because of him that I learned what I did. We still might not see eye to eye on issues like parking coordinates and code word micros etc., but all in all there's a lot to learn from Markwell, I just don't always consider his opinions to be the final word. To his credit, I don't think he ever considered his words to be the final word either, he's just a helpful kind of guy. As I said, the book would have been a great thing to have as a newbie and I do wish him success with it.

Edit: typo

Edited by cachew nut
Now I'll have to hunt down Markwell sometime for an autograph! :)

Eric's agreed to autograph a copy for me as a prize at my upcoming event. I guess I can forge Markwell's signature too.

Markwell, please send me something with your signature on it so I can practice...maybe a blank check would work.

Bret

I think they are 'cemetery' and 'weird,' with 'discrete' coming in a close third.

"Discrete" refers to unconnected, distinct parts.

But it's actually "discreet" if you're talking about being cautious while seeking or rehiding the cache ("marked by, exercising, or showing prudence and wise self-restraint in speech and behavior; circumspect. Free from ostentation or pretension; modest.") That means not shouting, "EUREKA! I FOUND THE TREASURE!" at the cache site and refraining from the victory dance at the crowded park. :)

But to get back on topic, another form of geocaching discretion is refraining from posturing in the forums. You quickly reach a point of diminishing returns in geocaching. The number of finds doesn't relate to experience unless one allows himself to continue to learn. When a new resource is discounted out of hand, unread, it's more revealing about the banty rooster doing the crowing than the resource being discussed.

I'd buy it if I saw it on the stands.

Some people have excellent vocabulary; they have and buy dictionaries.

Others are very good at golf or chess; I'm sure they read about their hobbies on all levels.

As an avid geocacher, I would enjoy having any books in my library about geocaching. If it were in paperback, I would probably carry one with me just so I could better explain or hobby to anyone interested. :):D

Pardon me for playing "Devil's Advocate," but what is there about geocaching that can't be learned from visiting the main website and then browsing the forums for half an hour? I mean, from reading the forums here, it's pretty clear that people don't even read the manual that came with their gps device.

I can imagine some of the chapters to be found in the various books: "How to create an unnatural rock pile," "Techniques for placing sticks parallel to each other," "The most often misspelled words used in geocaching," [i think they are 'cemetery' and 'weird,' with 'discrete' coming in a close third.] and "How to get your Vacation Cache, Virtual Cache, or Locationless Cache Approved." An appendix to the book will list a website where one can download "the latest secrets for getting those non-conforming caches approved." [The Swiss Bank Account #s of the approvers accepting "gratuities."]

I suppose books like that will prove to be more interesting to read in a few years, when the game has "matured" and 99% of the examples and links are no longer good ... sort of a "Nostalgic Look Back at Geocaching 2004."

A quick look in this forum should answer your incredulity. :)

There are still a lot of people uncomfortable with getting on a computer and chatting in the forums, particularly with the "dire warnings" out there now about stalkers, hackers, etc. So... cracking open a book is a preferable way of doing things.

I personally know someone who absolutely refuses to get on a computer if he can do things by book or typewriter instead. If he hears about something that interests him, he is straight off to the library or bookstore to pick up the reference material on it.

I am sure many would summarize Geocaching in a few words, but then how many "hiking" books are out there, and how many STILL get published years after the original publication. WHY? because Hiking is more than walking. and Geocaching is more than walking with a GPS in hand.

There are always new things in "the game" and the rules are general enough to be sensable, yet specific enough to be consistantly applicable.

Having a "game" avocation or hobby that evolves, has variety, a change in scene and always something interesting to see along the way is reason enough to write about it, and there hasn't been much written in hard or soft back forms. You seem to "forget" that not everyone has the internet, a computer, or the required GPS.

Putting a book out puts the hobby in view of an audience outside the clique. It brings fresh personalities, ideas and activity to the hobby.

It can also bring MONEY to the participants, in the form of prizes offered to the community, like recent GPS hunts sponsored by Garmin and Jeep.

My personal experience is this. When I first came to this forum, I was using a Meridian 300, a very basic GPS, and was looking for a way to map cemeteries for my Genealogy projects.

It was 9 months before I went on my first cache hunt. The members of this forum were very helpful in explaining the limitations of the unit I owned, and guiding me to the proper unit, the mapping software, and generally answering 1001 novice questions. NONE about geocaching.

In the subsequent year I have FOUND 26 caches, but I have HID almost as many.

I found when I started looking that almost all the caches in my area, (southern california) were on Mountain tops, and not easily accessable to my three mobility hampered children. This is one of the most densely cache populated regions in the world, but the nearest cache was (at that time) 16 miles away, and on top of a fire trail.

I set out to enjoy the experience AND to hide some easily found caches in my area "on the flats" and to make the experience accessable, and concentrate on "different" containers to keep the hunt fresh.

I think my meager contributions are significant for my locality, there are caches in areas that were devoid of caches.

There are also several new cachers from my efforts who would not climb a mountain to find out about caching. Several are just acquaintences who wanted to know what I was doing, others became active participants, "maintaining" caches in their office, ("ask the Manager") or helping build and deploy new "original" containers.

To help this hobby stay fresh, we need new people, new Caches, and an environment of "welcome" that will stop the activity from stagnating. :)

I can’t believe what I am reading here, one trying to play Devil's Advocate and another one or two are plain stupid, this is a great time for geocaching. With major sponsorships now coming on board and books being written about this fantastic hobby and good folks giving there support and knowledge for books that helped make this what it is today.

If you have a opinion that’s great, but sometimes you need to sit down and shut up, does every thread have to have malcontents…………… JOE

It's because it doesn't cost anything to type and offer your opinion.

As someone that got the book (for reasons mentioned by at least 1 other person above), I can see the value in. Just because you can get this info on your own, elsewhere, from multiple sources, doesn't make it any less useful to have it in 1 place.

I've played golf for 30 years... I still read about it and always look to find more insight into the game. Same here with geocaching. If I get 1 or 2 things (though I've already gotten more) from reading it then it was worth it to me. If you know it all, that's great. Don't buy the book.

I can’t believe what I am reading here, one trying to play Devil's Advocate and another one or two are plain stupid, this is a great time for geocaching.

You didn't mention any names, but I wish you wouldn't label people as stupid just because they don't feel the need to buy the book. The name calling thing is kind of childish, don't you think so? The book sure would have helped me when I was starting out though. I will surely eat my words if I find something new in there that I haven't learned through the forums, experience, or FAQ's.

Also, the book talks about other areas of the sport besides physically hiding and seeking a cache. It discusses, at a high level, hiking, being properly dressed/equipped, compasses, map reading, etc.

Good point; perhaps these books will "turn on" some people to the wonderful world of hiking and outdoorsmanship. Your post also gave me an amusing thought ... I wonder if anyone who had gone into a library looking for a hiking/outdoors book has been exposed to geocaching accidently via a geocache/logbook disguised as a hiking manual?

Edited by Bassoon Pilot

I doubt I would ever buy a book on geocaching, even if I were just starting out. It has been a fun three years of learning by experience for me. The game is pretty simple, not a lot that can't be picked up OJT. I hope there is a section that explains pocketqueers in simple terms, even Markwell’s FAQ couldn’t get it to gel for me. :)

I think it's great that somebody jumped on it though; it can only advance the game.

I am sure many would summarize Geocaching  in a few words, but then how many "hiking" books are out there, and  how many STILL get published years after the original publication. WHY? because Hiking is more than walking. and Geocaching is more than walking with a GPS in hand.

This is true, but printed material like books (or weekly magazines; even newspapers) are often "stale" even before they reach the checkout stand. One textbook I was a contributor to went through 5 editions in 7 years (mostly because of reformating to include more and more graphical information), and the topic was hardly "new" or "emerging." The core information hadn't changed much in a century.

Geocaching today is quite different than it was 4 years ago. I can't imagine what it will be like even 1 year from now, with the introduction of "major sponsorships" and the resulting influx of new cachers.

You seem to "forget" that not everyone has the internet, a computer,  or the required GPS.

But if they discover geocaching through one of these books, they will need to develop an attachment to all of those things.

Edited by Bassoon Pilot

I recently received a copy of the book from Erik to review for an upcoming issue of Today's Cacher and I must say that I'm impressed. I wish this book had been around when I started three years ago.

It's very informative about caching, and more importantly about the things that go with it. Erik covers a lot of aspects of caching that you may not have even thought about.

I was disapointed in the hiking staff section that mine wasn't mentioned. :) Although in all fairness to Erik, he did ask me to send a photo so he could publish it, but I couldn't do one with the resolutions needed.

Look for a indepth review in June or July's edition of Today's Cacher.

El Diablo

Jeremy, any thoughts on carrying these in the store? Maybe discounted for cachers?

I'm afraid I didn't know that Markwell was the technical editor of the book before it was published. We were also working on the Idiot's Guide to Geocaching with Jack Peters last year. That book will be available on June 4th.

I was disapointed in the hiking staff section that mine wasn't mentioned. B)  Although in all fairness to Erik, he did ask me to send a photo so he could publish it, but I couldn't do one with the resolutions needed.

I must apologize - I thought I at least had you in the resources section. I'll see what I can do about getting your site in at some point (though I have to depend on the publisher letting me know when it would be possible to do such a thing).

Kelly was great to work with and my thanks for his watchful eye.

Also, thanks for the kind words from those who have read it - I certainly had fun writing it. And if anyone notices mistakes or has suggestions, please feel free to email me.

Edited by writer