Attention Geocachers Be Careful!!!!!

Motorized Recreation in Oregon

This is IMPORTANT:

information from the BLM on a pipe bomb that was found at a gate. We have gotten more details. It was an 8-inch long, 2-inch diameter heavy-schedule PVC pipe. It was attached to a Swanson gate in Douglas County. When the bomb squad sprayed it with a water canon, it exploded. It had a mercury switch inside that denotated with movement.

In addition, a small, gunpowder-filled bomb with a fuse was found in Clackamas County. It was made out of PVC also, with two caps threaded onto a double-ended female connector.

If you see something that doesn't look right, leave it alone. Nothing more then terrorism being used to push a very radical agenda. Don't become a victim. Be alert. Pass on to your riding buddies.

This was posted by a friend on a 4x4 site I hang out on. Here is another I found :

Springtime in the West is cleanup time along highways, and volunteers who have adopted areas know to come hatted and gloved. Often, there’s an informal competition: Who can come up with the weirdest, yuckiest or most spectacular find? Near Joshua Tree National Park in California, Cub Scouts of Pack 67 from Desert Hot Springs stumbled on something no one could have anticipated - five pipe bombs ready to explode. The Cubs and Boy Scout Troop 36 secured the area, so no one would step on the bombs, says the Palm Springs Desert Sun, then waited for BLM officials and police. The pipe bombs were gingerly removed and detonated elsewhere, and Bomb Squad officer Frank Anderson said, "Man, did they explode." He said the boys did everything right. Justin De Lora, 10, thought it was all in a day’s work: "I already have a crime prevention award." But he said it was good they found the bombs, since somebody could have easily gotten hurt. A police officer said the bombs had lain on the ground for some months.

Link

Please be careful out there!

I haven't seen an epidemic yet in this country. But there was one reported in a nature preserve in NJ last year in an area where there are a number of caches. The bomb was in the middle of nowhere and spotted by a "dogwalker". It made the news, but last I heard, the "dogwalker" who "found it" is the prime suspect.

The police thought it was fishy that someone would place a pipe bomb in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by briansnat

The first one I quoted was on an access gate on the famous Moab trail system in Utah etc It is an area that is traveled legally each year by thousands of off road enthusiasts and hikers etc.. It wasn't just out in the middle of the woods. It is also an area of conflict between eco terrorists and the general ohv users. Here is a link to the police blotter mentioning the incident:

link

Edited by beyondhelp
The High Country News article was published May 27, 2002. Hmmmm. Breaking news, eh?

I couldn't find any references to the reported pipe bombs in Oregon. I suspect that this is old news too.

As I said, its hardly an epidemic. The OP should worry more about getting hit by lightning

Edited by briansnat

this type of stuff happens all the time. teens and fringe people make homemade bombs all the time, kids in my high school did it, kids in the neighborhood did it. it wasn't that big a deal until the times changed.

i'll go on living with my eyes open like i always do.

this type of stuff happens all the time. teens and fringe people make homemade bombs all the time, kids in my high school did it, kids in the neighborhood did it. it wasn't that big a deal until the times changed.

i'll go on living with my eyes open like i always do.

I even got extra credit in high school chemistry for making a Thermite bomb :) !

We always need to be on our guard when out and about. Between ticks and rattlesnakes, we are probably more likely to be attacked by zoologic threats than terroristic ones. Nevertheless, always keep your eyes open and your cell phone handy (though be sure to be at least 100 yards from the suspicious device when you call 911, never know when your RF signal will trip an igniter).