Wet And Wild

I want to try the Canoe Cache sometime this summer. My problem is I have never done a lot of water travel on rivers. Most of my boating experience has been power boats on large lakes.

Lets say I get could ahold of a canoe, kayak, or raft.

Which is safest for a novice?

How much instruction would be necessary for each?

I know somebody out there has the experience to help me out with this one.

YES FIRST TO REPLY!!!!!

Now on with buisness. If you plan to go with a group, I say with a raft. It would probably be the safestas there will be people ther who can help you. A canoe is good for two or three people, but you have to know how to balance your strokes so you dont go all curvy. Another advantage a canoe offers is the ability to tip yourself and other. This is fun, if you know how to safely unflip a canoe. I WOULD NOT GO OUT IN A KAYAK ALONE IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN IN ONE BEFORE. Most flip very easily and you can be hurt (Or worse) if you fall out and hit something underwater. whoever you get your watercraft from, have them teach you things like the J-stroke, T-rescue, Hand of God (for Kayaks), and other tips on maneuvering. The cache descriptionseems to be like the river is very calm, so you don't really have to worry too much about emergency maneuvers, however if you are going to hit a lager rock, you want to "High-Side" or move to the side of the craft to avoid flipping. But you probably will not have to do this because the river doesn't appear to be fast. Wear a helmet if in a kayak, and ALWAYS keep it on. If you have any more questions please e-mail me.

Happy hunting and be safe

BT

It looks like the raft wins. We rented a raft once on the upper Truckee and had a gas.

I did the same on the Truckee, except I was too cheap to rent a raft for class I/II water - inflatable matress it was. All was good, except I got sunstroke for the only time in my life.

I would recommend finding a canoe rental shop. They will set you up with a boat, all necessary equipment and advice on good locations to paddle. Inflatable rafts are hard to paddle very far in.

Wear a PFD (personal floation device) or life jacket if you are inexperienced or don't know the route you will be paddling. Other important times to wear a PFD, during bad weather, while on cold water, if you won't be able to right your boat or swim to shore, or if you insist on drinking. Skip the helmet if you are flat water paddling in a kayack, it is not necessary. Bring extra water. Use sun screen. Also, I have found a good boat trip is one where you make it back just before you are tired of it.

A grim story. The 14 year old who lived was wearing a life jacket. The three who died were not. http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/05/08/boat.capsizes.ap/

Skip the helmet if you are flat water paddling in a kayack, it is not necessary.

I do not agree with you on this one. If for some reason you flip, and there are many (even on flatwater), you could hit your head, and be rendered unconcious. I have been caught in a strainer before, and without my buddies to pull me out i probably would have drown, PFD and all. My boat got sucked in and turned sideways and the force of the water rushing in pushed me out. I amlost hit my head on a rock, and like I said if my buddies werent there i could have died. Just because water is flat does not mean that it is slow or safe.

*Edited just to say that PFDs dont always save you.*

Edited by Beta Test
I want to try the Canoe Cache sometime this summer. My problem is I have never done a lot of water travel on rivers. Most of my boating experience has been power boats on large lakes.

Lets say I get could ahold of a canoe, kayak, or raft.

Which is safest for a novice?

How much instruction would be necessary for each?

I know somebody out there has the experience to help me out with this one.

You could always put pontoons on your camper .. :)

I do not agree with you on this one.  If for some reason you flip, and there are many (even on flatwater), you could hit your head, and be rendered unconcious.

Naturally, you can take safety measures to the extreme. There are many ways you can hit your head, even when not on the water. In the north east, I have never read a newspaper story on anyone dying from a head injury on flat water or even class I water. I have read several stories of people who slip on ice, hit their head, are knocked unconcious and then freeze to death. I guess we should all wear our winter helmets.

I have been caught in a strainer before, and without my buddies to pull me out i probably would have drown, PFD and all.  My boat got sucked in and turned sideways and the force of the water rushing in pushed me out.

I think you may have been caught in class I water or worse by your description of events because the definition of flatwater is slow moving water with no ripples.

Naturally, you can take safety measures to the extreme. There are many ways you can hit your head, even when not on the water

Very true. I am not saying that you need to have the class V approved helmets here, but something light to protect yourself in case there is unexpected change like a huge storm(for those who don't watch the weather), or a large fast boat going by. There are plenty of uncordinated people out there that....errr.....need to be cautious. I've seen people tip a canoe just inches from the shore, which by the way was quite funny.

Ps Are you serious about the people falling and freesing to death?