The Weekend Trekkers Society

Criminal

I'm kind of glad I didn't do Mt. Townsend this weekend, because coupling it with Shunra's new one sounds promising.

If you go on Sunday, you might run into me on the trail, as I'll be there again, this time with my family, kids, and a friend.

I'll be out of commission this weekend. Wife's family is going to be in town starting Saturday. My mother-in-law griped about walking up the hill to Ghost Fort in Ft. Worden, so I doubt I'll get her out hiking.

That's why I'm trying to find something to do after work one day this week.

Have you done Gold Mountain and Green Mountain in Kitsap backcountry already? That should be a short drive for you.

Have you done Gold Mountain and Green Mountain in Kitsap backcountry already? That should be a short drive for you.

Done Green, saving Gold for moutain bike later this fall. Probably will head east from work.

Anyone done Snakes that Rattle 1 & 2?

Edit: Er, just 2. Looks like 1 has been archived.

Edited by Bull Moose

I thinking of going up to Baldy and Tyler Peak (in the NE Olympics) one or two weekends after Mt. St. Helens and placing a cache on each. I believe that they're the hghest peaks in the Olympics outside the National Park. It's a tough climb with 5000' elevation gain. The hike between the two peaks above the timberline appears to be almost level, though.

Does anyone want to join me?

Or better, beat me to it? :D

Oddly, I have found only one hand-written trail description. If anyone has been there, or has a a link to more trsil inforation, please post!

I thinking of going up to Baldy and Tyler Peak (in the NE Olympics) one or two weekends after Mt. St. Helens and placing a cache on each. I believe that they're the hghest peaks in the Olympics outside the National Park. It's a tough climb with 5000' elevation gain. The hike between the two peaks above the timberline appears to be almost level, though.

Does anyone want to join me?

Or better, beat me to it? :)

Oddly, I have found only one hand-written trail description. If anyone has been there, or has a a link to more trsil inforation, please post!

Hey that sounds like a great hike...when I get back over here I'm gonna go do those caches assuming they get planted.

Ah now Bull, why did you have to go and do that. I was hoping it would sit there and torment the poor souls until the spring. From the looks of it, I got really lucky on the weather. It was 35 degrees at the Lone Fir CG on Sunday morning when we woke up. I doubt it will be open much longer. Peace, Nolenator

Well, I noticed it last night. Haven't worked out travel plans yet, and don't know if this is one I could/should tackle on my own. So don't blame Bull Moose. However, my legs are just a wee bit sore from the "hike" I did on Saturday -- more so than on the Valhalla hike. I can only expect that this is because on the Valhalla hike we rested more frequently, whereas for Saturday's hike we only stopped at pre-defined waypoints.

Edited by NBJPoppa
Ah Marcus, I missed it. You know I didn't look at it after I posted the found log. Guess I should have put a watch on it. Unless somebody is up there today or tommorow, they will likely really have earned the coin. The weather doesn't look to promising. Peace, Nolenator

I just wanted you to know the clues that you were dropping had clicked.

Marcus, funny thing was I thought I passed hydnseek going the other direction when we were headed to our camping spot Saturday afternoon. I said to myself, oh my gosh, I hope she didn't go today and only get great views.

So, who is doing what on Saturday locally. I got the morning free and might be able to push into the early afternoon.

Good luck to those heading out highway 20. I hope the skies clear enough to get great views. A word of advise, know what you are getting into this time of year and have fun.

Peace, Nolenator

Marcus, funny thing was I thought I passed hydnseek going the other direction when we were headed to our camping spot Saturday afternoon. I said to myself, oh my gosh, I hope she didn't go today and only get great views.

So, who is doing what on Saturday locally. I got the morning free and might be able to push into the early afternoon.

Nope, it weren't me. But I'm open for a healthy hike this weekend, if the weather isn't abysmal (see: MA's Bandera hike). Should we stir something up?

In reponse to Criminal:

When I was in the area last fall, I wanted to try the Manganese Mines cache. The weather and family obligations kept me from getting there, but it is still on my list.

It seemed like a real adventure, althought the cache may no longer be there. I think it is in the Sol-Duc area.

I did get to do some caching at another place that looks like your photo- Quinault lake, there were 4 caches on the NF trail system south of the lake that you could do in one day. One of them was called Loop de Quinault, there was also a longish hike to a heritage cedar tree,but I can't recall the name.

Jeremy's log:

Whew! There's a lot to say about this one, so I'll start with recommendations for the next finder. It is far easier to trek in from the PCT and return the way you came, than try to scramble down to Joe Lake and head out via the Gold Creek trail. Also bring a pen. Ours didn't fit in the container.

For this one we did the two-car plan, parking one car at the Gold Creek Pond trailhead since the road closer had been closed. We then drove to PCT North off Exit 152. For future reference, there is no exit 152 heading westbound, so make sure to get off exit 153 or you have a long drive before you can turn around.

The PCT North trailhead to the cache was a spectacular walk. The day was beautiful with clear, blue skies and cool mountain air. It was a bit cold at the start but our exertion heated us up pretty soon. There were a few thru-hikers on the trail and a bunch of day hikers, but they stopped around the ridgeline where the rock had been blasted to create the trail.

When we arrived at the area of Joe lake we were still about 3/10 of a mile away from the location, so we started looking for a way down to the lake. There was no evidence of a trail when we arrived at the cache location (which is in great shape. First finders!), so we continued on until the trail looked like it would wrap around away from the lake. So we considered our options.

After some attempts farther down to make the descent, and speaking with a thru-hiker familiar with the trail (but unfamiliar with reaching Joe Lake), we decided to attempt a scramble directly down the mountain directly above Joe Lake. This was more than sketchy; It was downright dangerous. We're on a steep incline walking on loose piles of rocks and clinging to various bushes to keep ourselves from sliding head-first down the side. We did eventually make it, but it took us 45 minutes or so to manage the descent.

When we arrived near Joe Lake, we got a taste of foreshadowing for our hike out. A group of campers fishing the lake shouted out when we got near and begged us for an alternate route to get back to Gold Creek pond (assuming, incorrectly, we were knowledgeable hikers). They had hiked in the dark the night before and had some real trouble, but they were enjoying their catch for the day. We shook it off as out of shape hikers and headed down from the lake in the general direction of our car.

The hike out was more like a game trail than a footpath. There's a massive descent from the lake that mirrors a nearby impressive waterfall. A meandering trail with bewildering switchbacks continued along the creek and we were both out of breath at every turn. We eventually ran out of water and had to refill with my water purifier. By this time we were worried that it would get too dark for us, so we picked up the pace. With no flashlights it could get sketchy.

Finally the path opened up and became level, and we started passing other hikers along the trail, a definite good sign. Still, we had to navigate several wide creeks and got our feet wet on more than one occasion. We trudged on until we eventually arrived at the cabins, and using my GPS (of which I had the forethought to mark our parking location) we were able to navigate ourselves to Gold creek pond and follow the well paved trail around it to the parking lot. We were very tired and very glad to make it back before the sun slipped behind the hills.

[view this log on a separate page]

Nate's log:

It's hard to say much after Jeremy without being redundant, but I will add this: If you are interested in doing the two-car shuttle dealy, you might consider starting at Gold Creek Pond and then coming out at the PCT trailhead on 90 (this is opposite what we did). This way you can tackle the overgrown Gold Creek trail and STEEP ascent at the relative beginning of your hike (while you're still fresh). Coming down as we did, having already hiked around 8 or so miles was pretty rough.

The last 3 miles of the hike were the funniest (mostly for Jer). I was so exhausted that every step became a challenge. I think I tripped on every stone in the path and dunked one or both feet in each little stream we crossed. Anyone who didn't know would suspect I was drunk, I'm sure of it.

I took the TB in the cache and left a Jeep TB. Many thanks for the cache, Dayvi.

NtG

Geocaching.com is on the AF's S list.  Hopefully someone can come up with a workaround soon...

:P

This is weird. We changed to two new servers (and two fresh new IP addresses) so in theory you should be able to get there. They must be actually blocking the DNS location of http://www.geocaching.com then.

Yes:

Error: Access Denied by SmartFilter

Problem Description: The content or subject matter of this site has been identified as: Sports.

Possible Solution: Contact your squadron Work Group Manager if this site is needed for official use.

Yeah a lot of place filter by URL (not IP). Most don't have the manpower to maintain the URL lists though so they farm it out.

Even if you could find out the source of the URL filter nothing much could be done unless you could convince them that Geocaching is not a sport. Even so they would probably just re-categorize it which may not do any good since the AF probably blocks a lot a URL categories.

They are probably too smart for this one but try this URL http://63.251.163.180/my/

Good deal! I went shopping for some good rain gear just in case, but it looks like it may be a nice day tomorrow. FYI for anyone else who decides to go, we'll be at the trailhead around 9:30 tomorrow morning. I'll check email before I take off so if you let me know, we'll stay at the trailhead for you.

That's ok. Turned out that everybody bailed out on me, so I decided to go after Kamikaze as a solo hike instead. Then, like a nutcase I went ahead and hiked to the Top of Teneriffe.

I actually left around 11am to the trailhead. Next time just send me your info and I'll let you know the plans in the morning.

I'm definitely planning to do another hike this weekend, rain or shine. I have raingear now so there's nothing stopping me.