The Weekend Trekkers Society

Criminal

Sorry, I did leave a signature coin in it's place.

Any suggestions where the Moun10Bike Madness USA geocoin should go?

Perhaps a cache with a Moun10Bike signature coin in it?

MA,

Maybe it is time to do the ride we discussed? I am sure we can plunk it in a suitable location :rolleyes:

Yeah there is this little cache called phatboyz alpha cache that is about 600 feet from my house :D I can walk there and grab it HAHAHAHA!

Ok seriously...a cache that I could grab a USA coin and a MT Bike Coin would be great :lol:

Ok seriously...any cache would be great...maybe a little advance notice that it is going to be placed would be cool :D maybe a post here to let us "hikers" know so we can plan ahead for a trip?!!?!? just a thought :D

Actually I was kind of looking forward to the other signature coin in the cache but the weather just sucked too much to make the attempt this time. But I will get a coin sooner or later...mark my words!!! ;)

Hey guys.......please don't do the Banana this week-end. I have to go to a dern wedding shower and can't do any long hikes. That one sure looks like a doozie! I'd love to do it later. So, I guess what I'm saying is, "Go ahead and do either ones I've done or ones I don't want to do." :)

And the next time you're making any decisions, first ask yourself, "How will this affect Og's Outfit?" :ph34r:

Place it in " little Bit Of Everett History " I think it is a worth while cache for a Moun10Bike coin!

:grin:

It is one of mine

The Banana looks like fun.

39197_4700.gif

I have a question...some of you more experienced hikers may have the answer too. We were looking to do a long hike later this summer and we were looking up the banana ridge cache and saw some others near it. So my question is: Can you take the mason lake trailhead and head to the summit of mt. defiance, hike up to grab "mt. defiance cache"...continue along the ridge and grab the "banana ridge cache"...and continue on and then come down the back side of "do you feel lucky...well do ya punk" and grab that one and head out below that cache and leave the mountain from there???

I hope that made sense B) looking at topo software it looks like it is doable but still trying to get used to reading it so I thought I would check with you all B) thanks for any thoughts!!!

That's right Miss Goody Two Shoes, I figured maybe someone would recognize it and tell me what it is from.

02e7500d-6d66-47e0-9896-a877dfa24cb9.jpg

It's a surveyor's tool as noted by the pictographs. I did a quick search on the web and although I wasn't able to find anything directly related, it looks very similar to the reflective target holders.

So my guess is it is a target plate that would hold something light reflective in the four corners with the known height post holding the plate in the center as indicated by the rust mark.

Be careful goijng up Granite this time of the year...prone to avalanches. Several people have died up there...thinkign because the snow is gone on south slopes, but forgetting the mass of it higher up waiting to slide.

I think the danger has passed. Yes, there is still some on the ridge, and a fair amount over the back of the ridge, but not enough to be a threat. I've been up there when it was a threat. Definately a dangerous place! I've also seen the results of an anvalanche up there. Went up one week and saw creep in the gully and turned around. Went up the next week and the gully was filled with a mass of snow and severly snapped, smashed, broken trees. I was also up there once when there was a lot of sloughing going on (yikes). And once in a snow and ice storm (we stuck to the ridge all the way down). I am very cautious about any avalanche danger these days. They're kinda like bears, you just never know.

Anyone know of a easyish trail that ends at a lake, preferably with a decent camping area that has or needs a cache?

I'm thinking of something like Packwood Lake trail or Lower Lena Lake.

We might get visitors that want to go camping, but aren't too hardcore. I want to try to go somewhere I haven't been yet and do something productive cachewise.

Edited by Bull Moose
Anyone know of a easyish trail that ends at a lake, preferably with a decent camping area that has or needs a cache?

We might get visitors that want to go camping, but aren't too hardcore. I want to try to go somewhere I haven't been yet and do something productive cachewise.

My own Barclay Lake Trail. It's about a 2.2 mile hike to the lake with very little in the way of elevation gain. The cache is about 2/3 of the way in.

The trail is in good shape, and there is camping at the lake.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

My own Barclay Lake Trail. It's about a 2.5 mile hike to the lake with very little in the way of elevation gain. The cache is about 2/3 of the way in.

The trail is in good shape.

wehn I do finally go do that one, I think I'm gonna put anohter box up higher...where...don't know....not necessarily Eagle Lake. Maybe a summit.

You just mentioned Lower Lena lake yourself. You haven't done the cache up there yet, I believe, and it's absolutely stunningly beautiful. Also, don't miss out on Hamma Hamma Vista on the way in.

There is neither a lake not a suitable camping at Tull's Canyon.

I know you have an eye on my Iceberg Lake cache, which is also really beautiful. There are some camping places nearby, if I remember correctly, but I'm sure. I updated the page of that cache and linked to some trail descriptions. They might have the info.

Iceberg Lake cache is probably too tough for this particular group I am shepherding, especially if there is any snow.

I'm a little dubious about Lena Lake, too, even though I remember the roughest part about that hike being the part between the Lower and Upper lakes.

I think RWW's cache is the leader so far if I can convince them that they want to do the drive first.

Edited by Bull Moose
Iceberg Lake cache is probably too tough for this particular group I shepherding, especially if there is any snow.

I'm a little dubious about Lena Lake, too, even though I remember the roughest part about that hike being the part between the Lower and Upper lakes.

I think RWW's cache is the leader so far if I can convince them that they want to do the drive first.

I don't know about the hiking abilities of your party, but my 5 year old daughter did the hike to the Iceberg cache just fine, and my 12 year old son did most of the trail running. But *do* check out about snow, and about camping places.

And yes, RWW's sounds fine, too.

I don't know about the hiking abilities of your party, but my 5 year old daughter did the hike to the Iceberg cache just fine, and my 12 year old son did most of the trail running. But *do* check out about snow, and about camping places.

I'm going with some out-of-shape adults that I'm sure your kids could run circles around.

I'm almost thinking about car-camping despite their insistance that they want to do something more "hard core."

I'm going with some out-of-shape adults that I'm sure your kids could run circles around.

I'm almost thinking about car-camping despite their insistance that they want to do something more "hard core."

Gotcha. Hiking with adults is a different thing B)

I am heading to Bend, OR for a week of mountain biking and hiking. Any must do cache there? Peace, Nolenator

I've only done one in that area,Ogden

It would be an easy one on the way to Bend. It is at a rest stop at the crooked river gorge. You can stand just inches from a 200 to 300 foot cliffthere (I don't mean from the old highway bridge either).

This cache is of special interest to my family as the log will tell.

I am heading to Bend, OR for a week of mountain biking and hiking.  Any must do cache there?  Peace, Nolenator

I did several caches around Bend last summer, including several in the Mt Bachelor area. My personal favorite was Oregon Alpine Library (GC7D61). Stunning views of the Cascades from the first waypoint! (And if you read the logs from my visit, you'll see we discovered the location of the vandalized benchmark - uprooted from solid rock!). Another fun one in that area was Snafflehound Cavern at the ski resort - ice can be in the cave even in mid-summer.

I heard on Q13 News at 10 (Motto: It's on at 10!) that the Boulder River trail is closed due to fire and related falling debris.

I wonder if it was caused by lightening?

I hope it was something natural. There were a lot of campers out there this past weekend including a group of boy scouts.

Edited by TotemLake