The Weekend Trekkers Society

Criminal

I'm thinking of doing something Saturday, but I might just stay on my home side of the moat and go to the Olympics.

Maybe Mt. Townsend coupled with Dirty Face.

Or a FTF bid on Mt. Jupiter.

Mt. Jupiter.....that one would be tough. Belleterre and I have been arguing about whether we can hike 20 miles with well over 4,000 foot elevation gain. I say yes, but I haven't the sense of a rabbit. We'd been planning to do it earlier in the summer, but were stopped by that closed gate. The gate adds 6 miles to what would ordinarily be a tough 14 miler.

Ruck's a tough guy. Belleterre says she'll do it Nov 11, but is praying for snow so that we don't have to. :o

(Bull Moose @ Oct 14 2004, 12:19 PM)

I'm thinking of doing something Saturday, but I might just stay on my home side of the moat and go to the Olympics.

Oh wait! I know what you could do, Bull Moose!

Mt. Ellinor!

:o:P;):P

Edited by TotemLake

Mt. Jupiter.....that one would be tough. Belleterre and I have been arguing about whether we can hike 20 miles with well over 4,000 foot elevation gain. I say yes, but I haven't the sense of a rabbit. We'd been planning to do it earlier in the summer, but were stopped by that closed gate. The gate adds 6 miles to what would ordinarily be a tough 14 miler.

Ruck's a tough guy. Belleterre says she'll do it Nov 11, but is praying for snow so that we don't have to. :o

Although it can be done in one day, Mt. Jupiter hike sounds more like an overnighter than a single day's march.

Hmm... Well if I don't end up hiking tomorrow, I may be convinced to come out to the Olympics if the hike is particularly challenging.

Well, you could wear yourself out doing Mt. Townsend and Dirty Face, especially if you added whatever other local caches were needed to complete your day. The first two caches mentioned are on well-groomed trails. Add Mt Zion? Or do you dare go to the Sasquatch Lair? <insert inhuman screeches and laughter>

~the Almost Bride of Sasquatch

KB

Well King5's weather report has it as:

Friday-Tuesday Long range models indicate a series of disturbances moving through the region for rain at times with some periods of clearing. Highs in the 50s. Lows in the upper 30s and 40s.

NOAA says:

WEDNESDAY NIGHT

becoming mostly cloudy. areas of fog after  midnight. lows in the upper 30s. 

THURSDAY

mostly cloudy. areas of morning fog. highs in the mid 50s. 

THURSDAY NIGHT

rain likely. lows near 40. 

FRIDAY

mostly cloudy. a chance of showers. highs in the lower  50s. 

FRIDAY NIGHT

mostly cloudy. a chance of showers. lows in the upper 30s. 

SATURDAY

mostly cloudy. a chance of showers. highs in the lower  50s. 

SATURDAY NIGHT

mostly cloudy. a chance of showers. lows in the  upper 30s. 

SUNDAY

mostly cloudy. a chance of showers. highs in the mid 50s. 

Further, the chances of precipitation is 73% through the weekend.

I could be wrong but it sounds like rain to me. I'm not one to wuss out, but it's probably best to plan something close in so we can make our great escape and duck in some shelter and enjoy a quaff of beer or two.

Is there a plan for this weekend?

Marcus Aurelius and I went to Mt. Pilchuck last Friday to find Purgatory. I haven't written my log yet but Marcus has. Foggy, so no views but a great hike nonetheless.

Purgatory is on the table for this coming weekend.

I suspect any suggestions for a moderate difficulty, mid-range kind of a hike would be appreciated. I hear tell something along the lines of Melakwa may be too difficult. Since I haven't done that one, I don't know where it falls under difficulty.

I was thinking something like Goat Lake would be out...

Since Marcus (and Shunra?) have done both, I'd be interested in knowing how they compare to one another, and then toss thoughts out for something toned down a bit from either of those!

-=-

michelle

I hear tell something along the lines of Melakwa may be too difficult. Since I haven't done that one, I don't know where it falls under difficulty.

I was thinking something like Goat Lake would be out...

Since Marcus (and Shunra?) have done both, I'd be interested in knowing how they compare to one another, and then toss thoughts out for something toned down a bit from either of those!

-=-

michelle

Goat lake is way up there on difficulty.

I think Purgatory was a bit easier than Melakwa. Without looking at the descriptions Purgatory seemed somewhat shorter.

... something along the lines of Melakwa ... something like Goat Lake...

I'd say: save Melakwa Lake until you can do Melakwa Heaven as well - probably not this year, though.

The difficulty level of GL is somewhere between those two, I think.

After a 6 week break, I look forward to doing a mountain hike again next Saturday. Is anyone interested in doing the 20 mile hike to a shared FTF on Mt. Jupiter with me? Or are there other suggestions on the table?

Oh, and I bought a used Land Rover this weekend, so I gots me 4x4 now. The Jetta was giving me some trouble on the logging trails.

That is funny, our Mini-Van does logging roads just fine. (if you don't mind stopping to change the tires now and then) ;)

To answer Bull Moose, Mopar and Geo Ho are going to be here this weekend.

If anyone can't make the Saturday hike, Sunday we are thinking of hitting some of our favorite caches on Whidbey: Ebey Bluffs & Light House Point for sure. If anyone has any other suggestions for caches on the island let us know.

Oh, and I bought a used Land Rover this weekend, so I gots me 4x4 now. The Jetta was giving me some trouble on the logging trails.

That is funny, our Mini-Van does logging roads just fine. (if you don't mind stopping to change the tires now and then) ;)

To answer Bull Moose, Mopar and Geo Ho are going to be here this weekend.

If anyone can't make the Saturday hike, Sunday we are thinking of hitting some of our favorite caches on Whidbey: Ebey Bluffs & Light House Point for sure. If anyone has any other suggestions for caches on the island let us know.

I liked alpac'd up (may have screwed up the name) near Greenbank.

If anyone can't make the Saturday hike, Sunday we are thinking of hitting some of our favorite caches on Whidbey:  Ebey Bluffs & Light House Point for sure.  If anyone has any other suggestions for caches on the island let us know.

Saturday? Don't forget the WSGA meeting you scheduled for Satuday in Kent! ;)

That being said, I would love to meet Mopar and Geoho. Where is this hike again and who's brining the Medivac Helecopter to get me back down?

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

That being said, I would love to meet Mopar and Geoho.  Where is this hike again and who's brining the Medivac Helecopter to get me back down?

RWW, you did the scary ladder cache once, the second time will be easier. Do it enough times, it'll be like climbing into bed. (not falling out of bed, OK?)

Give a hey! to Mopar and Geoho for me. I'm a Jersey girl, born and bred. Montclair...well, actually (getting all snooty) Upper Montclair. (Darned thankful to not be living there still, but you don't have to mention that!)

KB

Edited by bumblingbs
After a 6 week break, I look forward to doing a mountain hike again next Saturday. Is anyone interested in doing the 20 mile hike to a shared FTF on Mt. Jupiter with me? Or are there other suggestions on the table?

Hmm... I'd consider it, but I'll be out of town this weekend.

I haven't done any hiking since St. Helens, either.

Jeremy, from Bellevue I would go to Bothell, to Edmonds and take the ferry to Kingston, across the Hood Canal Bridge to Quilcene. Less traffic and the ferry runs every half hour and only takes a half hour to cross. In my younger days, I use to cross country ski in that area. Have fun. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT
Is anyone interested in doing the 20 mile hike to a shared FTF on Mt. Jupiter with me?

I'm seriously considering it. If I'm coming from Bellevue, is the ferry the best way to go, or just go around from the South of the Sound? That way is 2 1/2 hours (so say Mapquest).

Mappoint says 2 hours 4 minutes from Bellevue to Duckabush (which is where Mt. Jupiter Road begins) via the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry and Hood Canal Bridge. Of course, you'd have to add ferry (and waiting) time. Driving via Olympia and up 101 might be a leeetle bit faster, but not much, and you'd miss the relaxing ferry bit.

I'm at least glad SOMEONE is interested... :ph34r:

Does anyone feel like a hike in the mountains on Sunday, weather permitting?

I thought of going to Mt. Pilchuk the normal way, thaw up in the lookout tower, and then descent towards the Bathtub Lakes, from where we would return via Pinnacle Lake. We would leave some cars at the Pinnacle Lake TH before starting out, to get us back to the Mt. Pilchuk TH at the end.

This would involve 4 caches: Pilchuk North, Purgatory, Bathtub Cache, and Pinnacle Lake. Cache Ahead, who might join us, says that snow shoes would be helpful.

Anybody interested?

Or does anybody have an alternative plan?

Got a mileage estimate on that trek? I could figure it out but, ya know, I'm lazy.

:blink:

Can't have lazy people on THAT trek, you know :-)

Mileage isn't much - terrain might be an issue. It took me about two hours to get from the TH to the summit of Mount Pilchuk, which included some time searching for Pilchuk North (on which I DNF'ed). The descent from the summit to Bathtub Lakes is about 1 mile as the crwo flies, and I have no idea about the trail. Elevation difference should be less than 1000 feet. From there, my guess is that it's another 3 or 4 miles via Pinnacle Lake to the other TH.

Another idea is to do Heather Lake in addition to Pilchuck. That one is just 4 miles RT. Anyway, I'll see if I can find some details regarding Pil to Bath.

I've already been to Heather Lake, and to Pilchuk this year, and for me the Pilchuk-Bathtub bit is the incentive for the trip. Cache-Ahead (whose idea it is) is ready to go, but I'd rather do this kind of thing with a slightly larger group. Alternatively, I'll just do a return trip to Bathtub Lakes (where I haven't been yet) via the conventional route, or do something different altogether.