The Weekend Trekkers Society

Criminal

Hmm the forest service directions take you from Sequim.  TL do you have the sequence of FS road numbers from Quicence?

I just checked a couple trail books and the topo maps, and since the Buckhorn Wilderness is situated between Quilcene and the trailhead, I think going down from Sequim may the best way to go.

Kingston to Sequim via the Hood Canal Bridge is about an hour.

If you find a better way, let me know.

Edited by Bull Moose

You're torturing me asking as late as you did. The best I could do was to locate my trails map, and scan you a copy of the section. MapPoint and Delorme don't show all the roads going in. I suspect NG Topo does.

Bullmoose has it right, going in from Sequim is the best route.

It's large (1.8MB), but that's so the detail will print right. I won't subject this thread to the large file, but you can go to:

http://home.comcast.net/~totemlake/images/GoatLake3.jpg

I'll keep it there until Sunday.

Edited by TotemLake
Where are we talking about going?  I might be game for a hike, but would need to CarPool from the Everett Area...............

Goat lake, see URL above. If I go the ferry route I could meet you at the Edmonds dock. The 7:10AM Kingston ferry sounds good if TL is correct about the times. The other leaves at 5:50 since the 6:30 doesn't run Saturday.

I am sorry I did not get back to you Marcus. I had to work late last night and did not get the chance to check the posts until about noon today. I hope this did not incontinence you or set your back in any way.

Thank you for the offer anyway, I whish I could have made the trip.

Where are we talking about going?  I might be game for a hike, but would need to CarPool from the Everett Area...............

Goat lake, see URL above. If I go the ferry route I could meet you at the Edmonds dock. The 7:10AM Kingston ferry sounds good if TL is correct about the times. The other leaves at 5:50 since the 6:30 doesn't run Saturday.

I am sorry I did not get back to you Marcus. I had to work late last night and did not get the chance to check the posts until about noon today. I hope this did not incontinence you or set your back in any way.

Thank you for the offer anyway, I whish I could have made the trip.

I just talked to Cache Ahead on the cell phone. She's up on Three Fingers! doing the Tin Pan Gap cache. It was 6pm when I talked to her and she still had about six miles of down to go. Three fingers is an awesome place. I 've only done it once. She's doing it solo! More guts than I got.

That's nuts to do that solo! Nuts and impressive. I looked up there when I did Boulder River Cache and shivered.

Hmm, for the big long combined hike I think I'd have to drive over tonight and sleep in the back of the truck (ala Criminal).

Goat Lake sounds like quite the chalenge.  Firsties huh?

What starting time are you thinking of?

9am would be ideal. It's probably going to take me a good 2.5 to 3 hours to get there.

Any earlier and I'd have to be sleeping in the back of _my_ truck at the trail head... I'm not quite up to that level of devotion yet.

Sound good?

Need a map?

A clue? (I may need one of these myself.)

-=-

michelle

So inquiring minds what to know? How was it?

You're gonna have to wait for the log, big boy.

(No? Well, o.k. In a nutshell... I got lost. Was an hour late (would have been helpful to have someone ot help navigate, let me tell you.) Marcus waited a half hour and headed on down the trail w/o me.

The first part of the trail is relatively flat so I made great time (under an hour for 3.5 miles). All the while trying to reach MA on the FRS. Nothing. I did run into a couple of camper hikers who told me they'd seen MA so I picked up the pace a bit - hoping to get close enough to reach him on the radio. After last weekend it was so odd to NOT have anything coming across the radio.

The second part of the trail is some level of hell. Not so great time made, but steady progress (lots of coughing again -yippee!). I was halfway to the cache when it started to pour. Fortunately I had my rain gear, but as soon as the temps dropped and I got wet I started to freeze. Made my way to a tree and sat... and sat... and sat... waiting for the rain to stop.

When I got to thinking about how far I really had to go (it's pretty much straight up just as it says in the description), how long it was going to take me - probably 1.5 hours just to get to the cache with .79 to go), how hard the rain was coming down and how blooming cold I was, I waited a bit to see if MA was on his way back down (more FRS'ing to no avail), ate my lunch and then hauled my butt out of there.

Made fabulous time getting out of there (a necessity) and down to the river crossing and headed out.

Got to breathe some second hand weed smoke... but bypassed the beer before heading out.

Left MA notes in the trail register... hope to hear from him soon!

-=-

m

Well the 7:10 ferry was just about right if you haul @#$. I had studied the maps and directions late the night before so thankfully I didn't miss any turns. Two are critical. I'll put my directions in the log.

Got there about 9:10 to find several cars but no CG. Silly me forgot to ask what she drove so I checked all the cars looking for any sign of Olympia in case she had gone ahead already. The logbook didn't indicate that she had been there but there was an entry the day before that said GEO in the comments. Hmm did they decide to camp? Waited for 30 minutes and figured we must have crossed signals so I left to hike solo (with no FRS).

Sorry CG I wish I had waited a little longer since you couldn’t have been far behind. I stopped the couple headed back to see if you were in front of me, and hoping that if you where behind me they could tell you how far.

It was a beautiful walk along the creek with moss and wild rhododendrons everywhere. Once I crossed the creek I dutifully followed the cache instructions and kept the creek on my left as I bushwhacked several hundred yards upstream. Finding only game trails I turned back and found Ruck had meant the dry stream and washout area. That blew about 30 minutes so CG must have been right behind me unless she made the same mistake.

This is where the walk ended and the hike began. Ok I’ll call it like it is the “mountain climbing” began. The first part of the trail follows a ridge with a creek on one side and the washout (and cliffs) on the other. To be continued in the log…

CG I did exchange some whistling after this, was that you?

Sorry CG I wish I had waited a little longer since you couldn’t have been far behind.  I stopped the couple headed back to see if you were in front of me, and hoping that if you where behind me they could tell you how far.

It was a beautiful walk along the creek with moss and wild rhododendrons everywhere.  Once I crossed the creek I dutifully followed the cache instructions and kept the creek on my left as I bushwhacked several hundred yards upstream.  Finding only game trails I turned back and found Ruck had meant the dry stream and washout area.  That blew about 30 minutes so CG must have been right behind me unless she made the same mistake.

This is where the walk ended and the hike began.  Ok I’ll call it like it is the “mountain climbing” began.  The first part of the trail follows a ridge with a creek on one side and the washout (and cliffs) on the other.  To be continued in the log…

CG I did exchange some whistling after this, was that you?

Mark:

I'm SO sad we didn't manage to hook up. We couldn't have possibly been more than 10 to 15 minutes apart at the most. Your lost half hour, my breakneck pace to make it to Camp Handy...

Aaargh!

My only hope is that you made it... Once I hit the upper 'meadow' where you walk up the dry creek bed and it started to pour and didn't let up... I was sunk. Had I known you were that close, I probably would have continued on. I just wasn't willing to get stuck up there, and risk a wee bit of hypothermia (my hands go downhill extremely fast, gloved or not) while I was alone.

I was REALLY hoping you'd had the opportunity to hit the cache before it started to rain.

Question for you - right side of the creek for the trail? Or did you go left? Did you see the back half of the dead rabbit on your way down? It only took me a couple of minutes to find the trail - I crossed the river bed to the left, and saw it on the right up a few hundred feet where it ran right next to the bank - thankfully.

So sorry I was late (yes, I missed the critical first turn and it took me a long time to fix that mistake), and so sorry we weren't able to hike together. I could have used the extra encouragement having someone just being there would have provided!

If you heard noise up there, I'm sure it was me. Once I hit Camp Handy and started up the mountain, there wasn't another soul. It was amazing.

Did you happen to notice someone cut off a LOT of the branches on the cross-over trees while we were gone? I ran into him on my way out. "It's easier now." Um, no, really it's not!

-=-

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

I just posted my log pictures to follow. I also am bummed to have missed you... soooo close! I was at the top when it was raining the hardest. You kinda didn't hike alone. I would have found you on the way down if you ran into any trouble.

I did see the trail toward the camp but the cache sheet said keep the creek on my left... Oh well I see Pcakes made the same mistake. I did see the rabbit had been moved on the way back down. Hope it was you and not predators.

I didn't see the guys on the way in but I did see the cut branches on the log. Thanks guys :blink: .

It was a wee bit disappointing to not have hooked up, but in all, even though I will log a DNF (complete with the signature hellaciously long story AND photos!) it was a great hike (about 8.5 miles) and I'm not at all sorry I went.

Don't be asking me if I'll go back tho.

:blink:

-=-

michelle

Awwww even if I went? :blink: j/k When I saw the "log" bridge, I thought I would've had to turn back. I don't think I could've expected Snickers to cross it. Anyway, that was an awesome log MA put up. Can't wait to see yours!

Edited by TotemLake
Awwww even if I went? :blink: j/k When I saw the "log" bridge, I thought I would've had to turn back. I don't think I could've expected Snickers to cross it. Anyway, that was an awesome log MA put up. Can't wait to see yours!

I thought about you and Snicker! doing this cache - and even if you could manage to get over the log bridge, the trail is just something else - right on the edge of the ravine in parts, down some really slick shale, across a slide area...

I wouldn't have been happy if it had been MY 9yo on that Boy Scout trip. Aaagh! I figured as long as I didn't have to worry about anyone else, I was o.k..

It was quite character building (and here y'all thought I had enough of that anyway, eh?)

-=-

michelle

I did see the trail toward the camp but the cache sheet said keep the creek on my left... Oh well I see Pcakes made the same mistake. I did see the rabbit had been moved on the way back down. Hope it was you and not predators.

I moved the rabbit parts. I figured if you were coming down that same side, you'd see it and I could say...

Bunny?

No predators visible, thankfully.

-=-

michelle

And I was so looking forward to getting all hot and sweaty with CG :blink:

And wet. Don't forget that.

Let me know the next time the fam runs you out on a rail Mark - I'd really like to hit the trail with you sometime... and take full responsibility for not making sure my driving directions were SUPER good (the road I intended to take was closed). My prep time was extremely limited on Friday.

-=-

michelle

I'm kind of looking at Saturday for a hike, since it will probably be my last chance before St. Helens.

My knee is killing me (injured the day before Col Bob - reinjured yesterday) so I'm... doing some, er, less strenuous hills, if you may,

Well, I'm going to hit Seth's on Sunday if I can arrange going alone...

-=-

michelle

Well... who's on deck for this weekend?

It's Friday afternoon and no one's going anywhere this weekend (other than the party, that is)?

I think we have plans to hit Mt. Ellinor tomorrow as it's been confirmed as being in situ. We'll be at the trail head by 9 and hopefully hitting the trail by 9:30 if we don't...um... get lost. (This seems to be a bit of a problem lately.)

-=-

michelle

Well... who's on deck for this weekend?

It's Friday afternoon and no one's going anywhere this weekend (other than the party, that is)?

I think we have plans to hit Mt. Ellinor tomorrow as it's been confirmed as being in situ. We'll be at the trail head by 9 and hopefully hitting the trail by 9:30 if we don't...um... get lost. (This seems to be a bit of a problem lately.)

-=-

michelle

I can't decide what to do tomorrow. Mt. Ellinor is tempting if folks are going.

I'll prod Ironman into making a return trip later this evening.

-=-

m

It didn't take too much prodding, as I was thinking of doig this one after work. Which meant that I would probably be doing it solo, and would be the last one off the mountain. I also would be hiking down in the dark.All of which didn't thrill me.

So Bullmoose are you still banging your head against the desk. Because we found it!

So Bullmoose are you still banging your head against the desk. Because we found it!

Nah, I figured it would be found with a fresh set of eyes and you knowing where it wasn't.

I'd like a detailed description of where it is, though. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to decide if I ever want to go up there again.

Edited by Bull Moose
Nah, I figured it would be found with a fresh set of eyes and you knowing where it wasn't.

We didn't even have to get into the 'knowing where it was not' because the arrow pointed straight to it.

:lol:

Pictures are up on the cache page. You should be able to print the one out of Ironman, and SoSavvy and if you align the rocks up properly, the cache should be just slightly uphill to your left. Yeah, that tree.

m

Well Seth's event is Sunday.

I'm kind of looking at Saturday for a hike, since it will probably be my last chance before St. Helens.

Well, you could have come with us. It's not a hard hike, but there's a new cache on Mt Zion. Did I mention that Belleterre is a triathlete, and she makes me look like a slug? Plus, I can't hardly stand up in my kitchen, much less on a rock, I'm so uncoordinated, and she made me go places I never wanted to go.

KB....the ~almost~ bride of Sasquatch......

We didn't even have to get into the 'knowing where it was not' because the arrow pointed straight to it.

There's some kind of conspiracy against me on that hill. Twice I've been up there and twice it has pointed me to the same spot, which I gather from Ironman is a fair distance from where the cache is. When I was there with Ironman his GPS pointed us to the area it wasn't until I left.

I don't think I'll be up there again anytime soon.

Edit: Stupid spacebar.

Edited by Bull Moose
Well, you could have come with us.

Would've been better than what I did, which was sleep until the nattering voices of the politicians I was with Friday night left my head.

Doing nothing was the exact wrong thing to do 2 weeks before St. Helens. Thank goodness I did 6 miles - an easy 6 miles, but still 6 miles - with Runhills and Nolenator on Thursday or I'd be very mad at myself.

My in-laws are coming Saturday, so this weekend is out, too.

I may have to find something to do after work this week.

Thanks for another Olympic cache, bumblingbs. It's on my list. I'm kind of glad I didn't do Mt. Townsend this weekend, because coupling it with Shunra's new one sounds promising.

Edited by Bull Moose
I'm kind of glad I didn't do Mt. Townsend this weekend, because coupling it with Shunra's new one sounds promising.

If you go on Sunday, you might run into me on the trail, as I'll be there again, this time with my family, kids, and a friend.

I'll be out of commission this weekend. Wife's family is going to be in town starting Saturday. My mother-in-law griped about walking up the hill to Ghost Fort in Ft. Worden, so I doubt I'll get her out hiking.

That's why I'm trying to find something to do after work one day this week.

Edited by Bull Moose