Proper Reporting Of A Destroyed Benchmark

TheCatHerder

I went looking for a Benchmark yesterday and discovered that I could not find it. In this case it is a AM Radio Tower. Because I grew up in this area I do remember having seen the tower. I decided to do a little research on this particular Benchmark and discovered a web page for the Radio Station that chronicled the dismantling of the tower.

My question is how do I properly record this? I have access to what has to be the last picture of the tower before it came down as well as pictures of the dismantling process. Because of this I feel no problem in recording this one as being destroyed because I have proof of the destruction of the benchmark.

Since I have a dated picture however would it be proper to record a find back on 2/20/2000 when the structure came down or not.

Please Help me with reporting this one.

Kevin G. the Cat Herder

I recently looked for a fire tower and a radio tower in Eastford, Ct. Neither of them was there but the benchmark nearby was located. I then went to the Eastford highway dept. to check on them and was told that they had been taken down a number of years ago so I logged them in as destroyed. I then notified the NGS.

Edited by ddnutzy
I went looking for a Benchmark yesterday and discovered that I could not find it. ... I decided to do a little research on this particular Benchmark and discovered a web page for the Radio Station that chronicled the dismantling of the tower. 

Since I have a dated picture however would it be proper to record a find back on 2/20/2000 when the structure came down or not.

Since it is destroyed, log it as destroyed. I would include all the information in your log to support that it is destroyed. The "before" photo along with a current photo of the area (gps in view) should be sufficient to log this as destroyed.

If you really want, you can send this info to the NGS, so they can clean up their database.

I went looking for a Benchmark yesterday and discovered that I could not find it.  I decided to do a little research on this particular Benchmark and discovered a web page for the Radio Station that chronicled the dismantling of the tower. 

My question is how do I properly record this? 

I have proof of the destruction of the benchmark.

See the March 30th message posted by Deb Brown for proper reporting to NGS who would be very interested.