Geocaching Vacation

cakefrog

Hello to all,

I have a few caches under my belt, what I would like to know is instead of putting in the zip to where I will be, is there a way to put in a start point and an end point and the website will show how many caches are inbetween? We are going from one side of MI to the other and I can get the cashes here and the ones over there but can't figure out how to do the inbetween ones.

Thank You,

Cake Frog :(

You could also plan your route, check the lat/lon coordinates of places you will be, or even various spots along the roads you'll be taking, and then see what caches are around them. The problem of listing a starting and end point is that there's no guarantee that your actual route will be a straight line.

Another possibility would be to use some mapping software and import all the cache waypoints in the state. Then look along the route you'll take for waypoints that seem to be close enough.

Can't think of an easy way.

If you were a premium member maybe you could get Pocket queires for every cache in areas you'll be going threw. Then use something like clayjar's Watcher to filter the caches to display only those in certain directions and distances. Of course this would only would for a straight path. If the road curves a lot you would still have to do it several times. And getting all the caches in the first place might be difficult if they are lots of them.

Just looking at the maps would be much simplier buxley's, GC.com proper

when i'm travelling along a route i construct four or five pq's from cities on the way. it gives me pretty good coverage. the more pq's i generate, the smaller a range i have to use, so i end up getting a pretty good corridor.

from burlington VT (where i live) to ithaca NY (where i sometimes go) i can get my whole trip taken care of in five pq's. i ask for the 30 closest to ithaca, syracuse, utica, albany. that takes care of it, and i don't have to go too far off my route. 3 days of geodaching. it's bliss.

This requires a little more work, but if you use GSAK, you can filter caches along an arc or within a polygon that you configure by entering waypoints. It's not to hard to copy the waypoints from your mapping software for this purpose. Once you have entered the coordinates, you can specify how far on either side of the arc that you want to include. Like I said, it's a little more work, but I have found this to be very helpful for trips. There is also a way to do it using MS Streets and Trips. There are several other threads that discuss how to query along a route.

I recently posted about caching on a route such as on a trip also.

I find it very hard to use GSAK to filter along an arc as suggested. Some people have had much success, it seems, with MS Streets and Trips, but that is not compatible with the Palm OS.

Presently I use Pocket Queries>GSAK>Cachemate on PDA>Magellan GPS.

Yesterday I returned from a weeklong trip into NM, AZ, UT, and CO. What I did was to go to the maps of those states and pick a city along where I was going and run a PQ with that as a centerpoint. I used varying radius of 20 to 100 miles.

The only limitation was that my GPS only goes to 500 waypoints.

A lot of the waypoints were WAY out of where I might be going but I had to get them in order to get others. I just ignored those and didn't worry about filtering them out. I HAD worried before, but it was too hard to do so.

The BEST feature of all, is on my GPS whereby I can go to DATABASE and create a list of waypoints (caches) NEAR POSITION. That is, the position the GPS is in at the moment. Of course, I could see them also on my GPS map as I was traveling also.

Then I would look them up in my PQs on my PDA and see if they were worth going to. GSAK has downloaded my PQs in a cachename (not cache number like GCH147) so that I only have to scroll down alphabetically to find the cache.

What I found during this trip was that there are a lot of caches to go to enroute, but that after a few of them, you get tired of stopping every few miles and doing these little hikes, walks. You never get anywhere on your trip.