"how To" Question: Get Waypoints From Gps To Pda

Got my 60CS and love it. I have searched around a bit and can't seem to find a direct how-to for what I would like to do. Apoligies if this has been covered, I did a search and didn't find an answer.

I have a GPS-III that I am selling to a friend. Before I do, I would like to download all my waypoints that I have set over the years to my PDA, then upload them to my 60CS. I have the cable, I have CetusGPS and I am going to buy Cachemate if I need to. I am also looking at this software here:

GPilotS

I was just wondering if there was a step by step somewhere. I can probably figure it out on my own if pointed in the right direction.

TIA

Sgt D

Thanks for your reply.

Wish I did. That of course would be the easy way to do it. I do not have the cable for the PC to Garmin Round connector. I do have the cable to connect to my PDA.

As an update, I have been still trying on my own to do this. The program GPilotS does not seem to find my GPS-III. However Cetus and CacheMate (with a plugin) do. Unfortunately I don't see how Cetus or CacheMate download waypoints, it appears to me that they do not.

GPilotS says it can, but I cannot make it connect to the GPS.

So, any advive?

Sgt D

I know the latest beta of Cetus will do this but GPilotS should do it too. Do you have your GPS set to "Garmin" for the interface? None of these programs will transfer waypoints if your GPSr is set to NEMA (they will show your current position)

Edit: Are you trying to do this with USB? I don't thinK either of the programs you mention support USB.

Edited by PDOP's

Thanks for your reply. I have let the new owner take the GPS-III, so I cannot try it again, but I think I tried it with both NMEA and Garmin set. I can't be sure so I will try again when I can pry his new GPS-III from his hands.

It is not a USB cable as far as I know, it is just using the universal connector on my T|3 and round garmin connector to the GPS. I don't think either of those connectors nor the cable itself is USB. I could be wrong...

The confusing thing about GPilotS is that new serial port choices drop down box in the preferences. It had odd names for the selections and a big white space where it appeared that there should have been choices, only there was not...

I can't fault the developer of GPilotS too much though, they do not specifically say that the software supports the GPS60CS, although it does say they support the GPS-III....

Big Sigh, I will try again in a few days...

The thing is that I don't want to lose all these way points that I have built up over the years. I have travelled extensively with my trusty GPS-III marking waypoints as I travelled. It would be a shame to lose them all.

Cheers.

Sgt D

You can get a PC cable for the GPSIII from pfranc.com pretty cheaply. Perhaps you can convince the new owner to buy one, because he'll need it eventually anyway. There are a number of ways to get the waypoints from the GPS to the PC, including GSAK, EasyGPS, and many, many more. This is much more common than downloading to a PDA. The latest version of Cetus, v1.2b6, will download the waypoints from a Garmin, but it's not obvious how to do it. You have to be on the Position page, then access the menus, then the List menu, then select "Receive from Garmin". You can put them in a separate database if you like, and export to a HanDBase database, or to a text file by changing to the Pos menu. The Cetus menu system is a little quirky, but the price is right.

The confusing thing about GPilotS is that new serial port choices drop down box in the preferences. It had odd names for the selections and a big white space where it appeared that there should have been choices, only there was not...

What version of GPilotS did you try? The only choices I see on the drop down list for "Serial Port" are "Serial" and "IrCOMM" . I'm using version 6.4b4

Thanks for the tip about the beta of Cetus, I will have a go with it if I get a chance.

Sgt D

Just a warning that Cetus does not support all the different Garmin models either. I cannot transfer data to my GPS 76. You should be safe with the III+ as it's a little older unit but your new 60 may be a problem.

The 60cs, with a USB interface, is going to be a problem with almost any software. The NMEA protocol specifies serial, not USB, and most software is written to use the serial interface. Does the 60 even allow NMEA in/out? If so, then you may be able to build a custom cable to connect to the PDA and get things to work. If not, then almost nothing will work, because almost everything uses NMEA, except for waypoint transfer.

The serial cable for the III+ works just fine for the 60C. The 60C can use either serial or usb to upload/download. I use the serial cable quite often to send waypoints from GSAK to my 60C. It just seems easier than swapping cables all the time.

Brian