My First Hide... Questions

Well this is my first post on here. :lol: I have probably read for 12 hours on here in the last 2 days.. :D I made my first 3 finds and 1 DNF on Saturday and sunday. This is a lot of fun... I got my Meridian GPSr on friday. I mainly got it for motorcycle trips. But so far i am having a blast caching....

Anyway...I Know I have only been to 4 cache sites ... But i want to make my first attempt at hiding. The only reason i want to do this is because i know of 3 really cool spots that I would like to hide one. Places that some people might not have seen in this area. Hiding apeals to me more in some ways.

Here are my questions...

How do you hide in tree cover and try to get accurate as possible? I don't want to throw anyone off when i don't have a strong signal. What is the best method for hiding in tree cover?

How do people view multi-caches? As in level of enjoyment. There are 2 places where a multi-cache would be perfect for me to hide them.

thanks for any input...

beau

In tree cover, make sure you have a good sat lock. If you have to move a few fet to get a better lock, do it. If I can get a good lock standing 15 feet from a cache and a lousy one standing right over it, I will move to the better spot to obtain my reading. If you can't get a lock, maybe you'll want to move to a place where you can get a good lock. Personally, I've yet to find a place where I can't get a decent lock if I move around the area a bit.

Multis are great. I love going for them. And as a cache owner I use them for my caches when I want to bring people over a certain route to the cache, or in smaller parks, to make the hunt a little more challenging.

Edited by briansnat

Adding to Briansnat's first reply, I have found success with good and bad locks.

If you are unsure if your coordinates are correct, leave the cache site and walk a good distance away and come back with your eyeballs on your GPSr. Approaching it from several different directions does well, too.

If your unit proves true on two or more trys, leave it there. :(

Edited by opey one

I would agree with the others here. If you get a good lock, you'll know it because of consistent readings. If your readings are 100' off of each other, it might even be necessary to come back at a later time when the satellites are lined up more favorably. Bummer, yes, but sometimes necessary.