Gps Vs. Gpsr

kone

It's the functional equivalent of calling your TV a TVr.

:( Well put.

When speaking, why would you want an added syllable? I just use GPS.

I disagree. TV isn't short form for an entire system. That'd be more like TVBS (TeleVision Broadcast System).

Thorin

IMHO

• Upvote 2

I think anyone who can figure out geocaching, can figure out the if you do not use the "r", they will not be think you are carrying the satellite around.  As in " I dropped my GPS on the ground when I was signing the log sheet".  Or I use a Garmin 64st GPS.  Pretty sure nobody will confuse it with a satellite.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Calcows said:

I think anyone who can figure out geocaching, can figure out the if you do not use the "r", they will not be think you are carrying the satellite around.  As in " I dropped my GPS on the ground when I was signing the log sheet".  Or I use a Garmin 64st GPS.  Pretty sure nobody will confuse it with a satellite.

And if you refer to "the GPS system", people will know what you're talking about, even though "GPS" means "Global Positioning System", so technically, what you're referring to is "the Global Positioning System system". Still, some people like using words correctly...

15 hours ago, Calcows said:

You resurrected a 13-year-old thread to say this? LOL! :laughing:

On 12/31/2017 at 6:41 PM, Calcows said:

Welcome back to 2004!

LOL

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, VegasScotty said:

Welcome back to 2004!

LOL

Smart phones with a geocaching app came along later than that.  I started in 2007 with a handheld GPS.  There were a few people that were using palm pilots for "paper free" geocaching but they didn't use it for finding the cache.  I had a Motorola Razr and an app that would convert geocache listings into PDFs so that i could view them on the phone but it didn't have a GPS.  The first iPhone came out in 2007 which did not have an integrated GPS.  The 3G was the first model to have one and came out in 2008.  I had one and the accuracy left a lot to be desired.   I have a Samsung 8 now and use it for geocaching often, except when I'm traveling abroad.  Then I still use a handheld GPS.  

Not what I meant...  check the dates of these posts...   someone revived a topic from 13 YEARS AGO.  LOL

On 1/2/2018 at 4:02 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

Smart phones with a geocaching app came along later than that.  I started in 2007 with a handheld GPS.  There were a few people that were using palm pilots for "paper free" geocaching but they didn't use it for finding the cache.  I had a Motorola Razr and an app that would convert geocache listings into PDFs so that i could view them on the phone but it didn't have a GPS.  The first iPhone came out in 2007 which did not have an integrated GPS.  The 3G was the first model to have one and came out in 2008.  I had one and the accuracy left a lot to be desired.   I have a Samsung 8 now and use it for geocaching often, except when I'm traveling abroad.  Then I still use a handheld GPS.  

On 5/10/2004 at 1:06 AM, aPeacefulWarrior said:

Calling a GPS receiver just a GPS would be incorrect since GPS referes to the entire system, hence the name Global Positioning System. A GPS receiver receives signals from the GPS... thus it's name.

So on an even MORE technical note, you don't receive a signal from a GPS, rather you would receive it from a GPSs(atellite).

For the wordy folks out there, you shouldn't say "I used my GPS..." since the [my] implies you have a private system. However, you can say "I used the GPS..." because that implies you used the public system.

I tend not to care and can extrapolate what people mean in their logs.

11 hours ago, TriciaG said:

Would it be a GPSs, or a GPSt(ransmitter)? Are there GPS transmitters that aren't satellites? :drama:

I suppose that the satellites could be considered GPS transmitters but they're not actually transmitting coordinates.  Each satellite is basically just transmitting it's position and the current time.  A GPS receiver, by reading signals from four (at least) satellites can tell how long it took to receive those signals, and using the distance to each satellite, can determine it's location represented as lat/long coordinates through the use of a transliteration algorithm. 

A GPS transmitter is a bit of a misnomer.  Consider an application such as "Find my phone".  It  uses the GPS receiver chip to determine it's location and stores it in the app, but it's not transmitting it back to GPS satellites. It's working as a GPS receiver to calculate it's position than transmitting that data to some other location (e.g. a server on the internet) where it can be viewed using a browser or client/server application.  

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Wow, that's quite the thread resurrection :laughing:

I tend to say "GPSr" as a quick way to refere explicitly to a handheld/dedicated GPS device, and use GPS referring to any gps-capable device. Smartphone for smartphones, obv (even though a smartphone is also handheld). So I use "GPSr" as a subset of "GPS" most often; but that's just me.

• Helpful 1