Travel Bug "dropped Off" At Virtual?

Blaylockgang

Our newest TB, which has been out only about a month has made it from Michigan to Utah already. Today I get a note that it was dropped off at "A Dam Scenic View" cache. When I checked out the cache page to see where it was, it says it's a Virtual. Not only that, but it has a list of TBs seen there a mile long. What's the deal? My husband said that maybe people just take pics with the TBs there, but I was just reading about the Travel Bug prison thing a couple of days ago, and that there was one somewhere in Utah, and I'm wondering, is this one of those? If not, what's up? I'm really curious about this. Thanks for the help! :lol:

Perhaps a group was caching together, and handed the bug from one cacher to another, and used that cache as a "handoff", to record mileage on the bug.

EDIT: I just went to the cache page, and read a cachers note, it looks like they're having an informal event in the area. From the cache page:

Just adding to the traveller's convention at Flaming Gorge...if you are there in the area (6p.m. to 7p.m. on 5/9/04), come and join us and bring your bugs for trading, but if you should miss the action, please don't come looking for the bugs because they will be long gone heading for other caches and cachers...
Edited by IV_Warrior

I'm originally from a town about a 45 minute drive from this cache. I haven't been to this cache, but I know my uncle often takes travel bugs by this cache to take a picture of them with the view. He usually meets a few people from Rocksprings, WY up there and they trade TBs. From reading the post it looks like there are a couple of people meeting there tonight. In fact the posts that mention this from WagonWheel (lives in Utah) and TH&G (lives in Wyoming), so they are probably exchanging TBs. I've met both of these geocachers and they are not the types to leave your bug in limbo. My guess is that one of them made it home to log the bugs first. That person probably dropped off the bugs that they were exchanging so the other could pick them up when they got home. Just wait till tomorrow to make sure and if your bug is still there, try e-mailing the person who dropped it there and politely ask what's up. To ease your mind in the mean time, I know for a fact that "A Dam Scenic View" is not a TB prison. I hope this helps.

McWeb :lol:

P.S. I'm going up to Utah in a few weeks and if your bug is still there I'll personally ask them what's up. Just e-mail me (around the 24th of May) if you need me to find out.

Thanks, All! I got an email this morning saying that our TB had been picked up by somebody else and was on it's way again. The virtual thing had me a little confused, but I see now, thanks to you guys, that it's a unique way to hand off bugs and take pics. Thanks, again!