Planning Possible Trip To Co, Ut, Nm, Az

DavidMac

I should be able to make a trip through several western states sometime around the end of the month. I plan to take as many as 7-8 days to enjoy the area and find a number of caches along the way. The following map is just a general idea of the route I want to take. I won't necessarily stick to the roads highlighted, but it's just a rough sketch of the route:

0eec1b77-03ff-4763-9f5e-3f013433ac40.jpg

Does anybody have any suggestions for must-see places, must-visit caches, etc along the way? Or are there any sites that are definitely worth going out of my way for (or that I should go out of my way to avoid)?

Also, during a flight from Minneapolis to San Francisco last year, we passed over these flat-topped mountains. I didn't mark any waypoints, but I want to say that they are the Uinta Mountains near the Utah/Wyoming border. Does anybody happen to recognize them and are they worth stopping by for a visit and maybe a few cache finds?

b21fa5b0-a6b9-4d75-a6e6-88ed186e49ad.jpg

It looks like your trip is taking you through Vernal, UT. I'm originally from there and my family still lives there. I haven't done much caching the area, but my dad and uncle are avid cachers. I think that a cache by either of them would be a great cache find. Especially my uncle, who is retired and puts a lot of time and effort into caching. There geocaching IDs are Spidertracks (uncle) and Candlemand (dad). Hope this helps a little.

McWeb :lol:

If you are going to have high clearance, A REAL HANG-UP would be an interesting diversion.

For a new way to hide a cache try Candid Cache

& you might be taking an idea home with you for one of your own.

If you want to try an easy 1/2 mile canyon hike, try ALL CHOKED UP. For a cache that is hidden in plain sight, you have to read the logs for this cache.

For a geological formation that is not very common, you could try Pillars of the Community. Take a look at the cache page for pictures & read the log for this to see if you would be interested.

Several of our other caches have special qualities that you might consider, like benchmarks, views, a neat arch, & a rockhounders paradise. If any of the these sound interesting, check our profile for our other caches.

7-8 days is actually a rather short time frame for that many miles. & we are only 2 1/2 hours away from the Grand Canyon if you have not seen it. The north rim is the best. Other interesting caches close to that area are caches by Puz-Zel.

Hope you have a blast!

Shirley & John--from Page, AZ.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. Because of restrictions on car rental I cannot drive into AZ from either Denver or Salt Lake City (your options are a little limited when you try to rent at 21 years old :ph34r: ). I originally hoped to fly into Denver, but there apparently is a $100+ per week underage rental fee in Colorado :) . I should have 8 days to complete this loop, and will try to find as many caches as I can along the way. Is anybody familiar enough with the Gunnison, CO and Rifle, CO areas to recommend a good cheap place to set up a tent for the night, and are we deep enough into tourist season yet that I have to worry about making reservations anywhere? I'm also open to any more suggestions for "must do" caches along the way.

my revised route:

4b344cc4-5cac-4c2e-826d-f1893f18d0c6.jpg

Edited by DavidMac

Awesome! We visited 4 states I've never been to, visited 7 national parks, and found 52 caches :D . Thanks everybody for the advice. Lots of great scenery and some very good caches out there. It did rain on us and was very cold the last two days outside of Salt Lake (I'm guessing that wasn't normal weather for the area...), but otherwise we had perfect weather for camping.