Which Software For Pda Use?

nfa

Hi,

The Geo-tech topic in play right now has got me wondering about bringing my old handspring along with me...to date, I've been printing out cache listings, and bringing them into the field, but if the pda software is really workable (and not just fodder for tech-weenies) than I would like to make use of them, and save the paper.

• Which programs have you used?
  • Which do you favor and why?
  • which do you not like and why?
  • When all is said and done, do you like using a pda better than paper, and why?

Thanks, I appreciate any help you can give me.

nfa

I have a handspring visor deluxe and it works perfect for this. Go to www.smittyware.com and spend 7 dollars on the cachemate program. Then download the latest version of GSAK (GeoCaching Swiss Army Knife) for free at www.gsak.net and you are set. GSAK will import both gpx and loc files and allow you to upload them to your gps if you have the cable and to the handspring using the cachemate interface. Sweetest setup I have ever seen. Best 7 dollars I have ever spent.

:lol:

EasyGPS (free) for managing my waypoints on the PC. It's free and easy, with excellent support. Only problem is it saves your Groundspeak files into binary, ratehr than the original format. Thus you need to make a copy for your other programs before popping the file into EasyGPS.

Cachemate ($7 registered) for managing my waypoints on handheld, paperless caching. Works well for what I need.

As for paper/paperless - I'll not go back to paper, especially when I get the .GPX files membership gives.

Why? If I take a different route home from work for whatever reason, I may flip open my Palm 3 and go "HEY! THERE's SOME CACHES NEARBY! SWEEET!". I may also slam my car into a tree for not watching the road, but if I can extricate myself, I'm going caching! I try to leave my caching stuff in the car for just this spontanious outings.

The only problem: .LOC files (unregistered Groundspeak users) only gives the bare minimum of information. No description/hints etc. .GPX files do provide this data, so that alone is worth the membership price.

Edited by New England n00b

Cachemate! Cachemate! Cachemate!

I use a Palm Tungsten E for caching and cachemate is by far the best program for going paperless (in my opinion)!

The price is only 7 bucks!

It's easy to use, the page layout makes getting info a breeze, it's quick and it is just great. Everyone go buy it NOW! :lol:

NFA, there are several threads on this subject, in fact an entire forum dedicated to it. I like Plucker, but I also use Cachemate, although I'm using it less and less as time goes on. GSAK on the PC is a must for me, because it sends the waypoints to the GPS using smart names, generates the html pages for Plucker, and also exports the caches to Cachemate. If Clyde would just do a port so that GSAK ran on Palms also, I'd be really, really happy. :lol:

All these are free except for Cachemate.

tungsten e. cachemate.

i have spinner/plucker and it looks prettier and has some nice search features, but i ran it concurrently with cachemate to see which i liked better and i ended up liking cachemate.

paperless is also great because you can have MUCH more information handy. i used to spend a really long time cutting and pasting the possible cacndidates for the day. and i had to schlepp around a lot of paper.

anyway, what i advise is trying out as many as you can get your hands on. it's even worth paying the $7 for cachemate just to be able to know that you have the best setup for you. that's key. FOR YOU. once you have what you like, you'll be really glad you took the time to examine your alternatives.

I've tried a few. Right now I'm using Cachemate on both palms (7 bucks each, still a steal) and GSAK on the pc's to generate the cachemate files, as well as load the waypoints to the GPS. The smart name ability is great, a whole lot easier to decipher on the display of the GPS'r than some waypoint configuration.

Cachemate also has an export program (free) that allows you to export waypoints directly to your GPS'r (provided you have the proper serial cables, and a null modem adapter). I like that, cuz if I get sent out of town on a moments notice, I've got all the caches in michigan on the palm, and can load what I need to the geko (500 waypoint limit...sigh)

I use an HP iPAQ 4150 with GPX View and GPX Sonar.  I actually find myself prefering GPXView.

Why do you prefer GPXView?

Tks Alan

I only use the GPX software to read the cache description not for the note keeping features so Sonar adds features that I don't really use.

Personally, I like the icons in GPX view better.

RubberHead...

I just installed GpxView 1.3.2 and checked out its icons. While I agree that the icons of GpxSonar are minimalist in the main cache list (12x12 pixels is not that large), I'm not impressed by the icons in GpxView either.

I'll see what I can do to improve the icons in GpxSonar in the future...

I only use the GPX software to read the cache description not for the note keeping features so Sonar adds features that I don't really use.

How do you currently keep track of what you've done at a cache site, especially if you do multiple caches in one day?

RubberHead...

I just installed GpxView 1.3.2 and checked out its icons. While I agree that the icons of GpxSonar are minimalist in the main cache list (12x12 pixels is not that large), I'm not impressed by the icons in GpxView either.

I'll see what I can do to improve the icons in GpxSonar in the future...

How do you currently keep track of what you've done at a cache site, especially if you do multiple caches in one day?

-=(GEO)=-

I'm not complaining. I think they are both wonderful programs and I keep them both loaded in my iPAQ.

As far as remembering - I usually take my two kids and sometimes a niece and nephew and they remember every little detail. However, this is a good point so I may try getting used to GPXSonar so I can take advantage of the additional features.

Thanks so much for these very useful programs.

:)

I use:

GPX sonar for *everything* that I used to do with paper. I request a pocket query, which is opened flawlessly in GPX Sonar... then we have all the caches nearby in my pda for those spur-of-the-moment caching side-trips in the area...

Mapopolis so that I do not need to go onto the computer to get maps to the site

And another program (I think it is cachemate) that I just tried this weekend allows me to import all the cache information directly onto the mapopolis maps...

These programs, along with the GPSr that my family gave me for mother's day, and I am a very happy, organized, unfrustrated, and blessed cacher!

aka scienceteacher&fam

Edited by wife&mom

wife&mom...

And another program (I think it is cachemate) that I just tried this weekend allows me to import all the cache information directly onto the mapopolis maps...

It's not CacheMate. It's Gpx2Maplet which does the export of the cache info to Mapopolis.

wife&mom...

It's not CacheMate. It's Gpx2Maplet which does the export of the cache info to Mapopolis.

Yep indeed... not cachemate.... thanks for jogging my memory inasmsuch as I was in a classroom full of high school earth science students and my brain was drained for the day.... B)

I'm also using Cachemate on my Sony Clie SJ22. So far, I love GSAK and sending waypoints to the PDA is a breeze.

Does anyone know -- can you get past finds in Cachemate when you transfer the .gpx files from GSAK to PDA? I'm able to get descriptions and hints, but no finds. And the only thing I don't have yet is the cable to send waypoints from PDA to GPS (Garmin Venture)

I'm also using USAPhotoMaps to plot the caches, saving as .jpg file and transferring to PDA. I haven't quite figured out how to view my progress on my PDA with the points on the map. If anyone has suggestions on how to do that with this program or a different one, I'd be super happy. B)

Now all I need is to actually start looking for caches. B)

Edited by Crazy Janey and her mission man

Indeed Cachemate does export to Mapopolis. GPX2Maplet is useless on OS5 Palms, because the Navigator app does not support maplets. Cachemate exports the caches to the address book, where Mapopolis finds them. You need a plugin, which is available on the Smittyware site. You probably want to export the caches to a unique category, perhaps 'Geocaching', because that's the only way to delete them enmasse, via the desktop, if you need to. It does clutter up the address book, but that's the only was Mapopolis can find them.

I'm also using USAPhotoMaps to plot the caches, saving as .jpg file and transferring to PDA. I haven't quite figured out how to view my progress on my PDA with the points on the map. If anyone has suggestions on how to do that with this program or a different one, I'd be super happy. B)

GPS Tuner can take any picture and use it as a map. You just need 2 known coordinates on the map to calibrate it then your GPS will show where you are on the picture as you move.

I'm also using USAPhotoMaps to plot the caches, saving as .jpg file and transferring to PDA. I haven't quite figured out how to view my progress on my PDA with the points on the map. If anyone has suggestions on how to do that with this program or a different one, I'd be super happy.  :unsure:

GPS Tuner can take any picture and use it as a map. You just need 2 known coordinates on the map to calibrate it then your GPS will show where you are on the picture as you move.

Cool. Thanks, I'll try it out!

Does anyone know -- can you get past finds in Cachemate when you transfer the .gpx files from GSAK to PDA? I'm able to get descriptions and hints, but no finds. And the only thing I don't have yet is the cable to send waypoints from PDA to GPS (Garmin Venture)

There's a setting in GSAK (just as there is in CMConvert) in the CacheMate file export dialog box that controls the max. number of past logs to put into the PDB file. In CMConvert, this defaults to 0... it might be the same in GSAK. You just need to set it to something more than that.

Does anyone know -- can  you get past finds in Cachemate when you transfer the .gpx files from GSAK to PDA? I'm able to get descriptions and hints, but no finds. And the only thing I don't have yet is the cable to send waypoints from PDA to GPS (Garmin Venture)

There's a setting in GSAK (just as there is in CMConvert) in the CacheMate file export dialog box that controls the max. number of past logs to put into the PDB file. In CMConvert, this defaults to 0... it might be the same in GSAK. You just need to set it to something more than that.

Thanks! That was it. I found the settings in the CMConverter.exe application. It worked! It's amazing what can be done with these programs. Kudos to everyone involved in creating software for this hobby.

Greetings!

I'm a new geocacher (just broke 10 the other day...) and having a blast. I'm currently using an IPAQ HP5555 and have purchased the NAVMAN add-on for $150 (watch for rebates on Staples.com).

The unit works well for me, especially since I'm not a back woods guy. The whole rig is a bit too expensive to be getting smashed on rocks, but overall it's a good fit for me. The software that comes with the NAVMAN has impressive maps and road driving instructions with voice commands, etc. That software is not all that great for geocaching, but it can get you there and has a nice interface for coordinates. I've recently added CACHEDRAGON software to the mix, and like the location database alot. Also find the trace function very useful. Best of all is the combination with activesync software so that GPX files downloaded from geocaching.com automatically get imported in the background to my IPAQ and are ready to go! Files include descriptions, logs, and it even has picture capability (which I have not used).

Up till now I have been using GSAK on my PC (program of the year) and Cachemate on my Sony Clie'. That combination has worked great but Libby is the one that uses the PDA when we cache and she doesn't like the Sony. So I have a new IPAQ coming today and we are looking forward to experimenting with all the PPC choices out there. GPXSonar sounds like the favorite from what I read.

Rusty...