Hepl Please! Gps60cs Not Picking Up Sats

My 60cs suddenly lost its ability to pick up sats. One outline-box will get indicated for a satellite for a second or two, then it will lose even that.

I have tried taking the batteries out and have downloaded the new firmware to no avail.

I have tried but not found how to do soft and hard resets on the 60cs.

Any advice? Want to run out the possibilities before sending it back to Garmin.

Thanks in advance,

Make sure that you're not in battery saver mode then put it outside with a clear view of the sky and don't watch the screen.

Remember a watched pot never boils.

Seriously, I've had a couple of occassions when I just needed to let one sit in the open for a while.

Note that these features are not documented by Garmin for a reason. They are generally for testing the device and are not intended for end users. The modes are not supported by Garmin and may cause you to lose data in your machines. Try this at your own risk!

GPS 60/60CS

The standard secret keys apply.

After a reset

If you have to perform a full reset using one of the sequences shown above you will need to allow the unit to collect a full almanac before normal can be resumed. First a fix will need to be obtained which can take from 5 to 10 minutes of leaving your unit outdoors, stationary, with a good sky view. After the first lock you will need another 12.5 to 15 minutes to get the almanac reloaded. Check the date to insure that the information was reloaded properly. Time will be shown as UTC time since your local time offset was lost in the reset.

Re-establish all of your preferences such as time zone, daylight savings flag, etc. Reload all your waypoints and saved routes from your backup. I do hope you have a backup. WAAS capable receivers will have to re-establish the WAAS almanac as well.

ME: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Note that these features are not documented by Garmin for a reason. They are generally for testing the device and are not intended for end users. The modes are not supported by Garmin and may cause you to lose data in your machines. Try this at your own risk!

GPS 60/60CS

The standard secret keys apply.

After a reset

If you have to perform a full reset using one of the sequences shown above you will need to allow the unit to collect a full almanac before normal can be resumed. First a fix will need to be obtained which can take from 5 to 10 minutes of leaving your unit outdoors, stationary, with a good sky view. After the first lock you will need another 12.5 to 15 minutes to get the almanac reloaded. Check the date to insure that the information was reloaded properly. Time will be shown as UTC time since your local time offset was lost in the reset.

Re-establish all of your preferences such as time zone, daylight savings flag, etc. Reload all your waypoints and saved routes from your backup. I do hope you have a backup. WAAS capable receivers will have to re-establish the WAAS almanac as well.

ME: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Thanks - can you share with me the standard secret keys?

I am also heeding your warnings.

Check this review, you can find more useful information, but this is the part you're looking for:

NOTES: This review is based on G-60C firmware version 3.00, and current version number can be seen by holding ENTER while turning the unit ON. This also gives the diagnostics page. Press PAGE multiple times brings up additional diagnostic screens. ON+PAGE clears the almanac, and ON+MENU is an erase of stored GPS calibration and waypoint information!