How Far Do You Have To Travel To Find A Cache?

Milbank

We started with the closest ones we could find around our home town.

Just a few day' after we starting geocaching we are having to travel 30-40 miles to go caching.

I would be willing to make a weekend trip out of having to find a cache.

If it took a good part of a day to drive to the location and a day to get back I would not mind if it was a good cache.

How about you?

How far will you go to find a new cache?

Edited by Milbank

I've gotten most of the ones closest to my home (the closest, NFA-2, Backwoods, is 550 feet from my back door, on my property), and am now planning day trips for clusters of caches in various directions further and further from my base of operations...most of the clusters are within 50 miles (crow miles :mad: ) of my home.

nfa

I fortunate not to have travel too far. There are several hundred caches within a 100 mile range of our house. I do not have a problem traveling a little ways, but I usually find caches when I'm in that area. Example: visiting inlaws or attending a meeting. It works for me.

I think it would be cool to take an entire weekend for the purpose of geocaching only.

:mad:

I live in a pretty low-population area (compared to, say, Seattle which is about 2.5 hours away).

Right now I have:

1 within 10 miles

3 within 20 miles

9 within 30 miles

60 within 50 miles

In those there are a few that need 'special equipment' (at least 4 are terrain 5's: two need boats; two just need death wishes)

All of those over 20 miles involve at least 45 minutes to an hours drive on paved roads, and then logging road travel after that.

Those within 50 miles are, more often than not a couple hours away.

With the weather picking up we'll be hitting more of the logging-road accessible caches on the weekends and maybe going after a couple of those 5/5's that require the death wishes. I usually don't have a hard time finding people to suffer through that kind of thing with me.

Have fun as you head out. One of the most important things for us when we're driving far and away to cache is to be well prepared and to have something of an idea of what caches we want to hit and in what order. It makes everything go so much more smoothly, and is a more productive way to spend your caching day!

edit: grammar, of course

-=-

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

I live in SE Massachusetts which, luckily for me, is VERY cache dense.

As of right now, the closest un-found cache to my house is 10.4 miles away.

117 within 20 miles

317 within 30 miles

612 within 40 miles

800 within 50 miles

1024 within 60 miles

1228 within 70 miles

1455 within 80 miles

1597 within 90 miles

1726 within 100 miles

00-10 miles: Found 1/1

10-20 miles: Found 1/1

20-30 miles: Found 0/1 (Recommends Boat, or ATV/Snowmobile in Winter)

30-40 miles: Found 0/1

40-50 miles: Found 0/1 (Recommends ATV/Snowmobile)

50-60 miles: Found 0/1

60-70 miles: Found 2/6

70-80 miles: Found 0/30

80-90 miles: Found 3/56

90-100 miles: Found 0/9

So 107 within 100 miles, 7 of which I have already found. Only 6 within 60 miles, 2 of which I have already found and 2 that require equipment I don't have. The one not found that is kind of close and doesn't require special equipment is kind of out of the way, it is more worth my time to head toward the more cache rich 70-90 mile range (almost all of which are south of me) and try to do at least 2, and enjoy the other benefits of the big city while I am there.

When I started out caching there were only 56 in 100miles of me. Now we are up to 86. I have placed 21 in my area, so hopefully that will spark and interest. As far as FTF go out here, you can go months without anyone finding one of your caches. :lol: I placed 6 for an dinner event and they were unfound for 3wks. If I go caching now it is a weekend event. :D

Same here... I told the doctor that all those voices in my head were caches calling me. :(

5 miles - 82

10 miles - 371

20 miles - 909 <-- above this number half the search diameter is the Pacific Ocean!

50 miles - 1866

100 miles - 3335

0 - 10 miles 94

10.1 - 20 miles 70

20.1 - 30 miles 139

30.1 - 40 miles 248

Only 57 finds so far. Got a lot to find before I have to go far. I think I'm lucky.

And with the ocean nearby. I could only imagine if I could go east 40 miles how many I might have. And there are some quality caches in these too.

:(

I am now beyond the point where I can just sort of go on the spur of the moment and find one or two, unless some new ones crop up. There are a couple within a reasonable distance from me, but I guess I'm sort of saving them for out-of-town company.

The nearest unfound cluster is a 45 minute drive, and one more trip will take care of that. Then I'm up to an hour. Somebody above said a whole weekend devoted to caching would be interesting. I agree. I have half-days, at best.

Same here... I told the doctor that all those voices in my head were caches calling me.  :(

5 miles - 82

10 miles - 371

20 miles - 909 <-- above this number half the search diameter is the Pacific Ocean!

50 miles - 1866

100 miles - 3335

Yeah yeah...show-off. :D

Show-off? Just a lazy armchair convenient fact which required very little effort on my part utilizing the search button. Showing-off would be brandishing your stats which are 4X+ mine in the same time frame. THAT takes some doin'. Hats off to you! Your logs and posts are interesting.

It's kind of true about the caches calling, isn't it?... Oh no, here they come again. Give me strength... looking up Cacheholics Anonymous... :D I thought 12 steps was a multi-cache!

I'm doing good doctor, aren't I? ... My numbers where they should be, right?

The DC Metro/No. Virginia area is very cache dense...I think there are just over 2,100 within 20 or so miles from my house. Many are Virtuals in DC on Natl. Park Svs property, but there are still 100's of traditionals, multis, etc. What I've found though...is that most hunting trips are putting 35 to 45 miles on the odometer, not complaining though...we feel fortunate to have such a wide variety of choice.

Regards,

Bill

Showing-off would be brandishing your stats which are 4X+ mine in the same time frame. THAT takes some doin'. Hats off to you! Your logs and posts are interesting.

It's kind of true about the caches calling, isn't it?... Oh no, here they come again. Give me strength... looking up Cacheholics Anonymous...  :D  I thought 12 steps was a multi-cache!

I'm doing good doctor, aren't I? ... My numbers where they should be, right?

Thanks for the kind words, but...Oh man, I don't know that having a high find count is something to brag about. It's a fact we hide from our non-cacher friends so they'll think we're normal. :D And heck, what else is there to do in Lancaster?

Talk about obsession...We've actually said to ourselves "Gee, if we moved from the Antelope Valley to Thousand Oaks, just THINK how many more we could grab!"

We did the Cachaholic's Anonymous program, but it didn't help us at all. Oh oh, we're sunk. :(

It is my greatest fear that I will someday run out of caches tha are within a reasonable distance from my house. To counter this I make sure not to hit too many caches at once and to not hit them in order of how far away they are. I'm sure to space them out and only hit one or two per week. Also, say I go hiking up one of the near by canyons, and that canyon has, say, five caches in it, I will only hit one (maybe two), and save the rest for later.

In this way I am trying to maximize my available caches.

I'm sure to space them out and only hit one or two per week. Also, say I go hiking up one of the near by canyons, and that canyon has, say, five caches in it, I will only hit one (maybe two), and save the rest for later.

In this way I am trying to maximize my available caches.

This is the first reported instance of cache rationing that I have seen.