When Teaming Up...

I was wondering what the etiquette is on logging a find if you teamed up with another cacher to find the cache. If we decide to go hunting together, can we both log the find? Or can only 1 person/team log the find?

The reason I ask is that I would love to find a hunting partner, but I'd want to log the find for myself, and I'm sure the partner would also.

Thanks for your input.

GeoJono

I think it is pretty much accepted practice for both to log it as a find. The best way is for the actual finder to step away from the find, announce the s/he found it, and let the partner now find it. This way, both parties truly found it on their own.

Of course, if you work as a team, for me at least, it seems to usually balance out as to who actually first finds it. We don't usually do the step away, announce routine, we just both log, although it is an option.

edited to add second paragraph.

Edited by harleycache

When I cache in groups, we have our own little rule...We let everyone find the cache on their own first, no one jumps up and down and screams, "HAHAHAH I found it"! When someone finds it, they just go explore something cool in the woods, or they just sit down and rest while the others finish their hunt.

Then we all sign the book. :mad:

When we group-cache, we usually announce, everyone breathes a sigh of relief, and everyone signs the log. It's faster that way. Count-concious behaviour? You bet!

When we are by ourselves (just the GGGal and I), sometimes we do the above, and sometimes, if it's a clever hide, or if we've been looking for awhile, the finder will step away but will assume the "hint" position- body facing the cache, several feet away, while the head/eyes look innocently around while the other person comes up and says, "oh." or sometimes the odd expletive in place of the "oh".

I am honestly a little surprised that no comments have yet appeared about the sport being compromised when someone is allowed to log a find where they didn't technically complete the seek. But only a little.

My take on it:

My husband and I were going to use the same name in geocaching(McWeb). However, when we first started geocaching, I was stationed in Idaho and he was stationed in Texas (for almost a year), and if we had the same name then we would both get credit for caches that only he found, or caches that only I found. I know some groups/couples who do it this way, but we decided to get different names. (Especially since it could potentially look like we were in Texas and Idaho at the same time; might look a little funny) Anyway, I am still McWeb, and he is Umac13. My husband and I both log the find if we are both there for it, the same as if we were caching under the same name, but now we only both get credit for a find if we are both there participating. Mostly, it's up to the person/people participating. Whatever you feel comfortable with is what you should do.

McWeb :lol:

When I cache in groups, we have our own little rule...We let everyone find the cache on their own first, no one jumps up and down and screams, "HAHAHAH I found it"! When someone finds it, they just go explore something cool in the woods, or they just sit down and rest while the others finish their hunt.

Then we all sign the book. :lol:

This is what we do as well, making sure to continue looking after you've found it so the others don't bee line for where you just were. Sometimes, on particularly tough hides, I'll wait a minute or so, moving to a different spot before finding a nice place to sit and smile.

My wife, who rarely caches, is in the "HAHAHAH!" jump up and down crowd, though. :D

I would say yes it is acceptable to both log it. When I was first introduced to geocaching I was unable to afford a GPS and had to share with a pal, who was more than generous allowing me to share both his GPS and the caches. This maintained my interest in the pursuit and should be encouraged to bring others in.

I went hiking with a neighbor the other day, and of course the destination I chose was a Geocache. :o

He saw it first, but then just sat back enjoying the view, without telling me he had found it. He isn't even a Geocacher, but he did the right thing so I could be the one to find it.

I think that is the way a group or team should do it. ;)

I would say yes it is acceptable to both log it. When I was first introduced to geocaching I was unable to afford a GPS and had to share with a pal, who was more than generous allowing me to share both his GPS and the caches. This maintained my interest in the pursuit and should be encouraged to bring others in.

See? Give 'em an inch............

NO!!!

Theres always got to be one.

I have gone out numerous times with others and everybody logs a find regardless of who finds it. Remember it is a game. One time you find one the next the other finds one who cares have fun. Many times people team up on a very difficult puzzle cache and I don't see anything wrong with that either.

;)

Well if you find it and don't let your partner see it then only you can log it. Or another method is to club your caching partner over the head and when they wake up tell them the cache must have been muggled. If your caching partner is rude enough to get a look at the cache and you have no means of erasing their memory then be the better person and let them log it. :o

Wow! It looks like we need another chapter or two in the book "Geocaching Rules and Regulations" .

If we are attending an Meet and Greet with another couple, can I log it if they drove? If a CITO is scheduled from 9 - 12 and I arrive late or leave early, can I still log it? What if I just drive up and shoot the breeze for a while?

This is a recent log on one of our caches;

Yup, I signed the log today too. Great hide though I was assigned by the group to replace it which presented a great task since I arrived at the scene only moments after it was found. I was informed of the general location but had to locate the exact spot it was hidden myself. Since several of the group had already spent a fair amount of time looking and didn't want to wait several more hours for me to find the hiding spot I was provided with some guidance.

Should I delete the log and prohibit them from ever logging it because they did not "find" it and now, since they know where it is, they never can.

I would think that one should ask the others in the group if they would be offended if you disclosed the location of the cache before they "found" it. If they would take offense then it would be rude of you to reveal the location prematurely.

We have this mental picture of a group of 6 cachers wandering aimlessly, all having spotted the cache but unaware that the others had also.

THERE IS NO RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When we team up or even when we meet other caches at a site it then becomes a team effort and who ever finds it we all just log it. So fare I do not fell guilty because I have been the finder, LOL. But what about when you go out with your 6 yr old and he finds the cache before you do you have to tell him NOT to tell daddy where the cache is so daddy can find the cache. Of the first 10 caches I did I probable only found 2 or 3 before the kids, it took me a long time before I ever saw how a cache was hidden in the woods. It is just a gamr play it by what ever rules you want but .........

Cheers

I am honestly a little surprised that no comments have yet appeared about the sport being compromised when someone is allowed to log a find where they didn't technically complete the seek. But only a little.

Hey, who cares? There are dozens of ways to cheat the system and, at the end of the day, there just numbers.