Gps Cell Phones

Its not as good as it sounds. I just received a new phone at work with these capabilities, a Motorola/Nextel I730. It can mark any location but the service to download turn-by-turn instructions run about $100 a year. And get this: your boss can track your whereabouts using this same technology.

It is nothing new... In the most part of the world can you buy cellphones with built-in PDA, GPS, camera, video cam, fax, email, internet connection, flashlight, sensors for altitude/temperature/decibel and so on...

You have wrist clocks with pedometer, GPS, cellphone, pulse sensor, camera and everything...

Actually there is a lot of capability in the GPS phones because you can program your own software. Yes, the major apps for it now are spyware, fleet tracking and street navigation services but how about a Geocaching application?

I am working on some tracking/locating software now. Right now it is simple bearing/range to either a target entered at the keypad or to the current cell tower if you ever want to know where the tower you are using is.

However, with a GPS, J2ME (Java) and network capability how about have your cell phone give you a list of closest caches? Then track them, map them, log them. How about show the real time location of other geocachers while they are tracking caches in the area?

If you have a GPS and Java enabled phone and are interested in helping with this or field testing it get in touch with me. This is a spare time project so it is moving real slow but I have some software now I am fiddling with.

jv

Actually there is a lot of capability in the GPS phones because you can program your own software. Yes, the major apps for it now are spyware, fleet tracking and street navigation services but how about a Geocaching application?

I am working on some tracking/locating software now. Right now it is simple bearing/range to either a target entered at the keypad or to the current cell tower if you ever want to know where the tower you are using is.

However, with a GPS, J2ME (Java) and network capability how about have your cell phone give you a list of closest caches? Then track them, map them, log them. How about show the real time location of other geocachers while they are tracking caches in the area?

If you have a GPS and Java enabled phone and are interested in helping with this or field testing it get in touch with me. This is a spare time project so it is moving real slow but I have some software now I am fiddling with.

jv

This would be really cool. I saw an iQue and was thinking the exact same thing. Too bad I don't know how to write software!

All new cell phones in the US were required to be GPS enabled as of January 1, 2004. The purpose of this is for E911 service, so the operator can tell where you are. The phone has settings so that your location can either be sent to ONLY 911, or to every number you call.

All new cell phones in the US were required to be GPS enabled as of January 1, 2004. The purpose of this is for E911 service, so the operator can tell where you are. The phone has settings so that your location can either be sent to ONLY 911, or to every number you call.

Wait, all new cell phones have to have a GPS? I haven't heard this. I thought the E911 was to get locations from cell phone calls but the cell equipment sends it based on its best guess or something, not that each phone has to have it. Do you have a reference for that?

I haven't seen GPS in many other phones or actually any other phones besides Nextel. It would be neat if they did or kind of sinister if they had GPS that transmitted to the authorities but had no user features.

From this FCC document I find:

Within two years or by December 31, 2004, whichever is later, undertake reasonable efforts to achieve 100 percent penetration of ALI-capable handsets in its total subscriber base.

But I don't see where this mandates GPS. It looks like that is one way to acheive it and other is "network based" or some kind of RDF from the cell tower I imagine. Anyway I only googled for 5 minutes and the FCC document I found is several years old.

jv

I thought the E911 was to get locations from cell phone calls but the cell equipment sends it based on its best guess or something ... I haven't seen GPS in many other phones or actually any other phones besides Nextel. It would be neat if they did or kind of sinister if they had GPS that transmitted to the authorities but had no user features.

The model phone I have is a couple of years old. This is straight from the manual:

The GPS locator allows you to share your location information with network services other than emergency services, (such as 911), in markets where service has been implemented. Sharing your location allows the network to detect your position, which permits your service provider to offer you additional services.

My service provider is Verizon, btw. There's no user access to the GPS functionality, though. There's not even any mention of it in the SDK (software development kit) for the phone.

Wait, all new cell phones have to have a GPS? I haven't heard this. I thought the E911 was to get locations from cell phone calls but the cell equipment sends it based on its best guess or something, not that each phone has to have it. Do you have a reference for that?

I haven't seen GPS in many other phones or actually any other phones besides Nextel. It would be neat if they did or kind of sinister if they had GPS that transmitted to the authorities but had no user features.

From this FCC document I find:

Within two years or by December 31, 2004, whichever is later, undertake reasonable efforts to achieve 100 percent penetration of ALI-capable handsets in its total subscriber base.

But I don't see where this mandates GPS. It looks like that is one way to acheive it and other is "network based" or some kind of RDF from the cell tower I imagine. Anyway I only googled for 5 minutes and the FCC document I found is several years old.

jv

Creepy, I don't like that!

Do those GPS phones only transmit my location while I'm calling, or whenever they're on?

Do those GPS phones only transmit my location while I'm calling, or whenever they're on?

How to tell may vary by phone and provider, but my Verizon Kyocera SE47 has a crosshairs icon on the top bar by the battery. Generally it only transmits your location if you are dialing 911.

Check your documentation to see how your phone works, or if you have an SE47: Menu, Settings, Network, Location, 911 Only or Location On.

Must.....Buy......More.....Tinfoil!!!! :D

This public service message brought to you by MOSH. Makers Of Shiny Hats.

:(

Actually, that is not exactly accurate. E911 requires operators (the carriers) to be able to locate a phone within (I think) 100 feet. The technology to do so is not specified and can be done using GPS or network triangulation. GPS technology is more palatable to the carriers because it requires the least amount of modification to their networks. However, because of the number of variables that affect GPS accuracy, particularly indoors or in an urban environment, a combination of technologies is required. I believe the term is "network assisted GPS", where both network triangulation and GPS technology are used to pinpoint the phone's location.

The carriers and phone vendors are leveraging the new E911 requirements to create "location based services" that can be marketed in many different ways. Examples of LBS's are targetted advertising, tourist information, tracking your kids/employees, city guides, etc. In the not too distant future, as you walk into a shopping mall, your phone will ring and you will recieve an Instant Message or a recorded call offering merchant advertising, maps of the mall, etc. Obviously, there are going to be a lot of privacy concerns as all of this plays out.

That answers my question. . . my brother just purchased a new cell phone for his wife and the salesperson pointed out the GPS feature. I knew it wasn't something they'd opt for but I can understand it being part of new phones.

Well, I don't think we are talking about GPS! We are talking about triangling the phone, not the use of a GPS built-in in all phones.

Virtually all new phones being designed for the Americas will contain a GPS receiver. DAMHIKT :(

In the book for my new phone it actually points to the GPS antenna... and it ain't the one you pull out to get a clearer signal. Looks like a patch antenna.

Excerpt from my phone's manual...

The GPS feature allows the phone to share position information over the network. For calls to emergency numbers, this position information may be used by the emergency operator to determine the position of the phone. The functionality of this feature is dependant on the network, satellite systems and the agency receiving the information. It may not function in all areas or at all times. The user can enable or disable the GPS feature for non-emergency calls by accessing the Location privacy feature in the phone.

Select either Emergency or Share location.

The profile selected in the Location privacy menu, is shown on the lower right part of the sreen. The default profile is Emergency. When Emergency is selected, then the location information is shared only during an emergency call to the official emergency number programmed into your phone. Depending on which network provides your phone service, the phone screen displays [graphic]or[graphic]in the upper left hand corner. When Share location is selected, the location information is shared with the network whenever the phone is powered on and activated. Depending on which network provides your phone service, the screen displays [graphic]or[graphic] in the upper left hand corner.

Note: Location information will always be shared with the network during emergency calls to the official emergency number programmed into the phone, regardless of which setting is selected. After placing an emergency call the phone remains in emergency mode for five minutes. During this time, the location information will be shared with the network. For more information, see “Emergency calls” on page 70.

I've got mine off.

Edited by CoyoteRed