Need I-80 Caches

Al'sDad

In a couple of weeks, my wife, son and I will be driving I-80 through Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. We'll also be driving up I-94 through Wisconsin.

I'd like to find some caches that are either at rest areas, or easy off/on from the freeway. Preferably rather quick caches I can find while my wife and son take a break and stretch their legs. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

OK - I'll bite for Illinois.

Going east to west:

GC976A - Erin's Cache*

GCB743 - Cross Roads

GCGH6C - The Griffen

GC3958 - In the Woods

GCA521 - Travelin' Man (Eastbound I80 Only)

GCGMVK - Hennepin Canal Kids Cache

The blue ones I've found and thoroughly enjoyed.

*Erin's cache is in Pilcher Park and there's quite a few other caches in that area to. This one is a single stage traditional cache however, and more suited to passing through.

The Griffen is one that I helped place with Pack13. Very cool little cache and a nice walk in the woods.

I can't vouch for the other caches on this list, but they look pretty darn close to I-80 (if not right on it). I have another cache just south of Utica, Illinois, but that's a LONG walk. It's gorgeous country though.

I'm sure there are many that I'm missing - especially in the Orland Park area. It's also a matter of how close to the interstate you want to stay.

Edited by Markwell

You might need to check into the NW OH and NE OH forums on their regional sites to get answers up there. We Ohioians seem to be checking out here and talking more amoungst ourselves. But you're still talking Toll Road Plazas and not rest stops from Cleveland to Exit 1 before the IN border.

A few thoughts for Ohio.

There are a number of caches near exit 187 southeast of Cleveland. Use this cache as your center. There is also another nice cluster near exit 59 in Toledo. Use this cache as your center. In both cases you'll need to exit the turnpike.

The only rest area cache I'm aware of is this one in western Ohio.

EDIT - I had one other thought after I hit the submit button. If you are passing through Ohio on the weekend and have a little more time, you could follow I-480 which roughly parallels 80 but gets a little closer to Cleveland. I-480 meets the turnpike at exits 151/152 and 187. There are many more choices for some easy caching. However, if you are passing through on a weekday, especially at rush hour, I'd take a pass on the 480 option. Some locals joke that 480 is actually the speed you'll travel during rush hour measured in feet per minute.

If you want some choices for 480, let me know.

Edited by Runaround

In Illinois on 294 at Willow Road. Easy off and easy on. Just make sure you have 50 cents to pay the toll you can only use change at this one. there is a McDonald's just west of the exit N42 06.567 W87 53.436. I have not done these yet but here are a few. GCH4DQ, GCH4DV, GCH4DT Not sure but i think the first one is about a 1000' north of the McDs. the other two are a little harder only becuse of the lack of parking in that area. Hope this helps! there are more in this area just do a search but not sure how much time you have.

Good Luck!