Travel Bugs

:mad: Hi, we are finding that the papers that accompany TRAVEL BUGS are in tough shape, some are laminated and most are NOT....I would like to suggest that anyone putting in a TRAVEL BUG laminate their papers to keep them continuing in good shape, we have taken the liberty to laminate the ones that we find to ensure their safe travel.......maybe everyone can pass this suggestion on.

thanks, JoAnne and Fred, Stratham, NH

Devil's advocate response: Unless you have complicated instructions about your TB, why attach anything other than the tag? One but I came across marked the tag in permanent ink, "Take me to NYC". This seems simple and effective enough; yes, the ink might fade, but this seems less cumbersome and complicated than printing out instructions and laminating it.

A few reasons WHY a tag ALWAYS shall be attached to the bug:

1) If the bug is moved from one cache to an another, without the cacher has logged the move on the website, it will be problem. You find a cache, inside that cache do you find a bug. It has nothing attached to it, except the TB dog tag. You cannot log it, until you know the NAME of the bug, or which cache it came from.

But if there was a note saying: "This is TB Hedberg", then you atleast know a name, and can search for it!

2) If the bug have a specific goal, such as "I want to stay in this town", and you find the bug in a cache, you take it with you across the Atlantic Ocean. Because, it had no note attached saying it, and you might not have internet access where you are at the moment.

3) If a non-cacher finds the bug, can you write on the laminated note: "Hi, this is a travel bug. It is a part of a game called "Geocaching" and it wants to travel around the whole world..." and so on.. It might help the bug from go MIA.

There is of course a number of more reasons, but above is a few important ones...

Fun story - - - Mostly unrelated to the topic but close.....

I work at the Indianapolis Speedrome (a small asphalt race track on the east side of Indy) where i handle the PR and website.

I picked up the Sunshine's Racer TB and have twice got its picture posted on the Speedrome website.

Here's Today's

You can search back and look at the site's frontpage where I got the bug with a shot of Indy Car driver Dario Franchiti. Cool. (don't tell the boss.)

Devil's advocate response: Unless you have complicated instructions about your TB, why attach anything other than the tag?

I thought that too, but it seems some people have no clue what they are, so I now attach a short, laminated note explaining what a TB is...and a little about the goal if it has one. Since people often don't know what the goal is until they go to log it (and then sometimes find they took it 300 miles the wrong way), the tag is a good idea.

I attach tags to mine so I can clearly (and in bold letters) say that this is not an ordinary cache item, so don't take it unless you intend to follow instructions.

However, despite my clear goal instructions, one of my bugs was only 300 miles from it's target city, but someone took it 3000 MILES in the other direction!!! :mad:

*shakes head*

Also, a note to geocachers who "borrow" office supplies to make bug tags: don't show your travel bugs to coworkers - they may recognize the materials! Found this one out first hand! B)

Edited by SnowLeopard

I work at the Indianapolis Speedrome (a small asphalt race track on the east side of Indy) where i handle the PR and website.

I picked up the Sunshine's Racer TB and have twice got its picture posted on the Speedrome website.

Here's Today's

You can search back and look at the site's frontpage where I got the bug with a shot of Indy Car driver Dario Franchiti. Cool. (don't tell the boss.)

Dario Franchiti?!?!?!?!? Isn't he the one married to Fran Drescher? Cool......

I use clear packaging tape that comes on rolls...the 2 inch wide kind... :mad:

That's what I use too, it's cheap and works great! B)

My ex-wife was cheap, but didn't work at all......

I use luggage tag laminating kits from WallyWorld....5 for about $3. They're 2 1/2 by about 4 inches, and work great. Here's an example of one with a TB, so you can see it's not too bulky:

1226c1cb-df6f-4df2-877e-03434b8c5dca.jpg

1) It has nothing attached to it, except the TB dog tag. You cannot log it, until you know the NAME of the bug, or which cache it came from.

You dont need to know the name of the TB to log it. You can go to the travel bug page and enter the serial number found on the tag into the box in the top right. That will bring up the TB page.

1) It has nothing attached to it, except the TB dog tag. You cannot log it, until you know the NAME of the bug, or which cache it came from.

You dont need to know the name of the TB to log it. You can go to the travel bug page and enter the serial number found on the tag into the box in the top right. That will bring up the TB page.

I think what he meant was if he wanted to put in the cache log which TB he picked up, he'd want to know the name. At least, that's the case with me. I usually write my log, then grab the bug from the page, so I never know the bug's name when I'm writing my log.

1) If the bug is moved from one cache to an another, without the cacher has logged the move on the website, it will be problem. You find a cache, inside that cache do you find a bug. It has nothing attached to it, except the TB dog tag. You cannot log it, until you know the NAME of the bug, or which cache it came from.

But if there was a note saying: "This is TB Hedberg", then you atleast know a name, and can search for it!

:lol: Actually all you need is the tag # to find a bug. Once at the web page you can read the TB's mission and see what it is called. I still put a laminated TB passport with each one.

I think what he meant was if he wanted to put in the cache log which TB he picked up, he'd want to know the name. At least, that's the case with me. I usually write my log, then grab the bug from the page, so I never know the bug's name when I'm writing my log.

:lol: I always log my bugz first.

I bought a laminator at Costco a while ago for a project I was working on so I laminated the travel bugs I started so far. I made a 2 sided sign with a picture of the TB on one side and a story with the mission of the TB on the other.

Yana Likes to Run

Little Buddy Likes to Lfy

I also made a custom "What is a Geocache" sheet for the caches I have hidden which I have also laminated. I figured that it would make them last longer.

With my Travel Bugs, I print out the TB info sheet, reduce it down and laminate it and my bugs have actually been left at caches due to the cachers realizing they won't be helping the bug along if they take it. I have specific goals for my bugs and sending them 3000 miles out of the way would really irk me. I shake my head when I see that others do that with TB's--then I realize that they may not know the goals for the bug.

I've also grabbed bugs and have no idea what they're goal is until I get it home and look it up on the website. A couple of times I've taken a bug out of its way and I don't like doing that.

The extra info really helps, and is seemingly helping my bugs get closer to meeting their goals faster.

And lamination is a very good thing. Please consider using it--it's not that expensive, esp. considering how long it lasts.

You find a cache, inside that cache do you find a bug. It has nothing attached to it, except the TB dog tag. You cannot log it, until you know the NAME of the bug, or which cache it came from.

I just logged a bug with the number on the tag.

:lol:

:D

:D

Edited by OurWoods

Here's Today's

Dario Franchiti?!?!?!?!? Isn't he the one married to Fran Drescher? Cool......

..Ashley Judd. She's okay. catless.

Got the bug on Friday's webpage too. Woo-woo!

Here's Today's

jeez Torry, I wish you'd told me you handle the website...I wouldn't have to stay up late race nights doing it...... :(

Site Designed & maintained by WEB REBEL

I have specific goals for my bugs and sending them 3000 miles out of the way would really irk me. I shake my head when I see that others do that with TB's--then I realize that they may not know the goals for the bug.

I've also grabbed bugs and have no idea what they're goal is until I get it home and look it up on the website. A couple of times I've taken a bug out of its way and I don't like doing that.

I've had the unfortunate result of having a Bug Owner get really pissed at me for picking up their Bug while on vacation, upon arriving home and loging my find I find out that I took it 200 mi. in the wrong direction.

I immediately sent the owner an E-Mail letting them know I had no idea of the Bugs goal at the time I picked it up. Then I suggested they attach a note to their Bugs so people would know if they could help the Bug reach its goal, "Man did they get pissed at that".

I wish I'd saved the E-Mail.

I guess from now on, if a Bug doesn't have a tag on it stating it's goal, I'll let it rot in the cache it's in, so I dont get myself in that situation again.

I thought people liked TB's to see where they go, but they will go alot less if they don't have the goal listed as far as I'm concerned.

I guess from now on, if a Bug doesn't have a tag on it stating it's goal, I'll let it rot in the cache it's in, so I dont get myself in that situation again.

That's what I do. If I find a bug with no mission tag and I don't already know what its mission is (from maybe having looked it up before heading out to do some caching) then I just leave it there.

I was just in Las Vegas for a meeting and found a number of bugs. One was in a TB Race and had a tag, but the tag had the destination wrong. Luckily I was able to access the bug's page before taking it home (1600 miles out of the way). I put it in another LV cache the next day.

That's what I do. If I find a bug with no mission tag and I don't already know what its mission is (from maybe having looked it up before heading out to do some caching) then I just leave it there.

If'n it ain't listed on the page when I leave, but is in the cache when I gets there, an' if'n it gots no tag I'm a-gonna take it anyways......not my fault if;n da bug owner gets bent outta shape!

I am wondering... Jeremy posted some statistics on the top number of caches found, and how a user would ranked based on their total. I am wondering if there are any stats for the TB's. Namely, I would like to know which TB travelled the furthest and what the average travel distance is (if you throw out all the ones that have never moved). I would appreciate any insights you can offer.

-FreedomRider

Edited by FreedomRider