Given these choices, which would you buy?

Rigour

I am a newbie, just getting strted. Here are the prices in Canadian dollars at the local (haha) Canadian Tire.

I would especially appreciate it if people could add comments as to why they voted as they did. A lot of these features I am just beginning to understand, and have very little idea how useful they'd actually be on a real hike.

Not exactly a fair poll. It really depends on what you want to use your GPS for. Just Geocaching? Driving directions? Hiking/boating/etc?

Best recommendation is pick the eTrex or 315 as choices. 315 has a better antenna.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Garmin 12 for $276 ?????? I wouldnt pay that, I got a factory reconditioned 3+ for $200. I couldnt even tell it wasnt new, had a full warrenty and has worked flawlessly.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

jeepsmiliedesertcamo.gif

JeepNAz@aol.com

First off, check around for better prices, what you listed are even higher than what Cnadian Tire shows in their 2002 catalogue. Have a look at http://www.gpscentral.ca/ for Garmin units and they list the basic 12 for $225C and the basic Etrex for $185C including batteries.

I have the GPS12 which I bought before the Etrex was avaialable and it has been an excellent unit. That said you should consider that the newer units are smaller, lighter and generally use 2 instead of 4 batteries.

315 hands down any day. I think a mistake your making is choosing based on price. Look at what ypu want to do with the GPSR and what you want it to do for you if other other then just Geocaching. I have a 315 and logged somewhere around 175 finds with it without any troubles. I went to a 330 just because I found a heck of a deal or I would still be using the 315.

JMHO, logscaler

Thanks for your commentsso far, keep them coming please!

I think my boss is making a mistake not paying me 100 Gs a year, too, but until he does, price is definitely a factor. : )

The unit would be used exclusively for geocaching on foot.

The prices are Canadian dollars and include applicable local taxes.

I'd have to agree with Jeremy, the 315 and eTrex are the most reasonable choices.

The eTrex is smaller, lighter, waterproof, and has about twice the battery life.

The GPS 315 has a better ant. and is, I think, easier to operate - though the averaging drove me crazy (I haven't tried a 315 with new firmware).

-jjf

...with the conversion of the prices he has listed to USA dollars each one would fall somewhere between 2-5 tic tacs and a roll of toilet paper (varying rolls before two ply commercial to 8 ply charmin deluxe scented).

I love my Garmin 12. A big plus for me is that it will run on 5 volts, so I can power it from the PS/2 port on a laptop. One disadvantage is that, when using its GOTO feature it displays only to the nearest 0.01 km.

Have you checked the product comparison feature on Garmin's website? It's useful.

I use mine strictly for geocaching on foot as well. Originally had a 310, but within two weeks of geocaching upgraded to the etrex and have been very pleased with it's performance. It's led me right to every cache I've found with it, and I've used it to plant caches that other geocachers (with fancier models) have said the coords were dead on. So, I really don't see the point in any of the fancier models if it's strictly for geocaching, unless that is, you have money to burn.

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

I have the 315 with the v 3.15 (if you don't have it yet, get it). My brother has the next up from the e trex (Venture), mine locks on much better than his under trees but his batteries seem to last longer

than mine although I would,t say twice as long, no way maybe two hours more than mine, I carry plenty of spare rechargables.. icon_wink.gif

I have the 315 with the v 3.15 (if you don't have it yet, get it). My brother has the next up from the e trex (Venture), mine locks on much better than his under trees but his batteries seem to last longer

than mine although I would,t say twice as long, no way maybe two hours more than mine, I carry plenty of spare rechargables.. icon_wink.gif

Well here we go with the Apple/PC debate again hehe

my two cents:

I bought the basic etrex from yes, Canadian Tire lol and it has led me to all 5 caches I've hunted so far and only lost satellite cover once (in extremely tall dense tree canopy cover...it was dark in there at high noon)

all the firmware upgrades have worked like a charm the first time and it connected well with my laptop and talked to Microsoft Streets & Trips first time...

A word of warning: yellow etrexs sold in Canada are the multilingual european version (at least they are here in Quebec) and use different firmware upgrades than the base model sold in the states so be sure to download the right ones from the garmin Site

-happy geocaching icon_biggrin.gif

Everywhere you go, there ya be..."

Well here we go with the Apple/PC debate again hehe

my two cents:

I bought the basic etrex from yes, Canadian Tire lol and it has led me to all 5 caches I've hunted so far and only lost satellite cover once (in extremely tall dense tree canopy cover...it was dark in there at high noon)

all the firmware upgrades have worked like a charm the first time and it connected well with my laptop and talked to Microsoft Streets & Trips first time...

A word of warning: yellow etrexs sold in Canada are the multilingual european version (at least they are here in Quebec) and use different firmware upgrades than the base model sold in the states so be sure to download the right ones from the garmin Site

-happy geocaching icon_biggrin.gif

Go to the garmin website and check out the new Garmin Rhino 110 and 120.

They are not only 2-way radios but also GPS receivers with EXTERNAL antennas (for better satellite lock) so that the chief complaint about the Etrex by the Magellan fans is no longer there...come over to the dark side Luke lol Im certainly going to have one of each when they become available. icon_wink.gif

Go to the garmin website and check out the new Garmin Rhino 110 and 120.

They are not only 2-way radios but also GPS receivers with EXTERNAL antennas (for better satellite lock) so that the chief complaint about the Etrex by the Magellan fans is no longer there...come over to the dark side Luke lol Im certainly going to have one of each when they become available. icon_wink.gif

This was posted for another subject but may apply:

I have a GPS III+ that I bought about three years ago. I have used it geocaching, hiking, driving, and even flying. (I’m a USAF C-141B Flight Engineer) Some of the features I had to have when I was looking for a GPS are, waterproof, detachable antenna, and the trackback function. I wanted waterproof because it rains here in Washington (state) a lot. I personally believe that the best day to go geocaching is when the weather is the worst. It just adds to the adventure. I had to have a detachable antenna to connect it to the aircraft antenna. I have no reception in the cockpit of the plane, even with the antenna pointing out the window. (However, on a commercial airline I have gotten great reception pointing the antenna that came with the unit out the side windows in the cabin. I have a suction-cup RAM mount and fasten it right to the window, I get all the satellites on that side of the plane. I do get funny looks from the cabin crew though and have had to put it away due to a particularly ignorant stewardess.) I may upgrade to the GPS V soon to get WAAS. Just my two cents……..

I already have two FRS and two GMRS radios. i can see no reason to combine the GPS with the radio. Put that money towards a better GPS.

I got my etrex from Amazon.com for $99, no shipping, no taxes. I am extremely satisfied with it. I had it with me on a jetski and I ended up falling in the water. Thank God it is waterproof. Plus, and this is really a tangent, it looks cool, I can't tell you how many conversations I have struck up with people who were like 'wow, what is that'. Just my two cents.

John

Rino's the screen is so small, even smaller than the etrex. THis will make it almost impossible to use while driving, and a stugle to read for people with bad eyes.(there is a always a new complaint).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.