Foretrex

Who out there is using a foretrex for geocaching? Whats wrong with it? I'm looking at the 201 but might hold out for the 101 as long as the only difference is the battery. I'd rather have AAA's then a rechargeable that I can't carry with spares.

Its supposed to be based on the gecko 201 and I've heard more good than bad about that unit.

I, too, am interested in hearing how this works. If it truly is based on the Geko 201, it could be an interesting prospect. The only thing I find a little, hm, questionable, is that you've got it strapped to your wrist and will have to keep it your arm up and twisted kinda funny to get satellite reception.

Can't wait until you get yours and can tell us all about it!

-=-

michelle

I, too, am interested in hearing how this works.  If it truly is based on the Geko 201, it could be an interesting prospect.  The only thing I find a little, hm, questionable, is that you've got it strapped to your wrist and will have to keep it your arm up and twisted kinda funny to get satellite reception.

Can't wait until you get yours and can tell us all about it!

I don't think I'll have to hold my arm any different. It should work while walking. It also includes a bigger strap so you could strap it higher up your arm if you want. Then it would be less likely to be blocked during normal walking motions. It shouldn't be different than other GPS's though, for optimum reception you have to hold it where it can get a clear view.

I should have it tomorrow, that will give me 2 nights to play with it before the weekend gets here.

Guys, why don't you search the forums for "forerunner"? It's almost the same as the Foretrex, and several people have already reported good results using the Forerunner for geocaching.

The forerunner is very different than the foretrex. Its shares its size and shape with the forerunner but its firmware is very different. Garmin dropped all the running and training stuff from the foretrex. The firmware is based on the geko 201.

I've read less than rave reviews about the forerunner for geocaching. I've read lots of good stuff about the geko 201.

The forerunner is good for geocaching according to the reports I read in this forum. Consequently, the foretrex should be at least as good as the forerunner, but probably even better. So in my opinion, there is no big mystery here.

The forerunner is good for geocaching according to the reports I read in this forum. Consequently, the foretrex should be at least as good as the forerunner, but probably even better. So in my opinion, there is no big mystery here.

What are you searching on to find these reports? I can find only a few posts and nothing that goes into detail on the performance of the forerunner. Also a geko 201 is probably a better comparison.

According to Garmin's website-

the Foretrex 201 is similar in design to the Forerunner 201, yet is chocked full of GPS navigation features found in Garmin's popular Geko 201 unit.

JeepCachr,

I just searched for "forerunner", any date, all forums, search in posts, show results as posts. I get four pages of posts. About 2-3 people specifically said that they had used the Forerunner for geocaching for some time and it had performed great. There is also a more detailed review with a similar conclusion (appropriate for basic geocaching usage). I only read one negative comment: someone complained that the forerunner had lost the fix easily in the woods.

Given that the Foretrex has more features in the firmware, I think it must be more than adequate for geocaching. But I'm also looking forward to your review if you decide to write one.

I don't think we are getting the same search results because I don't get a positive feeling. I think Jeff summed up the limitations the best.

Once your waypoint is stored as a location, the "Go To" command will place you and the waypoint on a small, scalable, onscreen map, and display the distance and a directional arrow. It also shows the time-to-waypoint, based on your current speed. No degrees-type headings or bearings are ever displayed, nor can you view your current lat/long as it changes. And, of course, you can't set up a chain of waypoints to navigate a set course, as far as I know.

The forerunner has a some unique features and Yes it will work for geocaching but it was designed for running and training. The foretrex on the other hand appears to have been designed for hiking and as such should be much more suitable for geocaching.

I still don't understand what the source of your uncertainty is. As far as the gps receiver part is concerned, the forerunner and the foretrex must be essentially the same (same size and type of antenna, etc.). In addition, the foretrex has waas capability. That means that the reception with the foretrex must be the same as with the forerunner (or even better if waas is available), and that is good and adequate according to the reports on the forerunner. Software-wise, you know that the forerunner is identical to the Geko 201. Then what is it that you still don't know? I see no unknown variable in this equation. Of course it is good for geocaching, no doubt about that.

I still don't understand what the source of your uncertainty is. As far as the gps receiver part is concerned, the forerunner and the foretrex must be essentially the same (same size and type of antenna, etc.). In addition, the foretrex has waas capability. That means that the reception with the foretrex must be the same as with the forerunner (or even better if waas is available), and that is good and adequate according to the reports on the forerunner. Software-wise, you know that the forerunner is identical to the Geko 201. Then what is it that you still don't know? I see no unknown variable in this equation. Of course it is good for geocaching, no doubt about that.

Why must they essentially be the same?

The foretrex is not identical software wise to the geko 201.

Most people want certain core features in a GPS for geocaching. IMO the bearing to your goto point would be one of them.

As77 its pointless to argue this. I'm hoping all the foretrex shares with the forerunner is its size and shape. According to my tracking number my foretrex will be here today and I plan to report back my opinion of it after I get a chance to give it a workout.

Once your waypoint is stored as a location, the "Go To" command will place you and the waypoint on a small, scalable, onscreen map, and display the distance and a directional arrow. It also shows the time-to-waypoint, based on your current speed. No degrees-type headings or bearings are ever displayed, nor can you view your current lat/long as it changes. And, of course, you can't set up a chain of waypoints to navigate a set course, as far as I know.

Well speaking as someone who owns a Forerunner, a Geko 201 and a 60C, I love the Forerunner for caching.

I really do not see why this point was brought up. Why the heck looks at the Lat/Lon as you search for a cache? I certainly don't. I always just follow the cute little arrow, no matter which GPS I'm using. The Forerunner works fine for caching as long as the woods are not too thick. It will lose the signal lock, mind you the exact same way the Geko does. There are only 2 small things I don't like about the Forerunner. The first is the rechargeable battery. I don't like the fact that I can't change the batteries in the field. The second is that it only starts recording tracks when you start the timer. Since I use the FR mostly as a backup unit when I'm out in the boonies, there are times I have forgotten to press the buttion. If my 60C died, I would have no way to get back to the car. I wonder if the Foretrex is different like this? I also wonder if the Foretrex firmware can be installed in the FOrerunner????

JeepCachr,

come on. You can download the manuals for both the Geko and the Foretrex from Garmin's web site. Compare them. Like I said, the software is essentially the same. Of course you have the bearing to the goto point displayed (as an arrow), what makes you think that there is even a remote possibility that Garmin omitted this feature from the Foretrex? Are they that stupid?

Like I said, we know everything about the Foretrex, your review is of course welcome but I'm positive that it will bring no surprises.

There are  only 2 small things I don't like about the Forerunner. The first is the rechargeable battery. I don't like the fact that I can't change the batteries in the field.

I was also hesitant about the lack of backup in the field until I found a battery extender to work with it. PC Mobile Foretrex cables With a way for battery backup I prefer the thinner unit with the rechargeable in it. I'm waiting to get it before I order any cables but I'll probably order the battery extender and a cable to attach it to my ipaq. I was planning to get the battery extender for my ipaq and bluetooth GPS anyway. Then I could use it for all 3.

Like I said, the software is essentially the same. Of course you have the bearing to the goto point displayed (as an arrow), what makes you think that there is even a remote possibility that Garmin omitted this feature from the Foretrex? Are they that stupid?

They left it out of the forerunner.

Like I said, the software is essentially the same. Of course you have the bearing to the goto point displayed (as an arrow), what makes you think that there is even a remote possibility that Garmin omitted this feature from the Foretrex? Are they that stupid?

Left out what? the arrow? It's on mine....

Left out what? the arrow? It's on mine....

No the bearing to the waypoint. The arrow is only accurate if your moving. You don't need to be moving for it to tell you what your bearing is. If you don't carry a compass you won't care that it doesn't give you the bearing. This feature is on every current GPS I know of except the forerunner.

Also if the forerunner can't display your current coordinates it would be difficult to use it for hiding a cache.

My tracking information now says that the foretrex has been delivered, I'm counting the minutes till I can get out of work.

Well so far I like it LOTS! I used it last night and found the first stage of a multi-stage. We searched for the second stage but didn't find it. The sun was going down and it started to rain so I logged my first DNF. My GPS and my brothers Yellow Etrex were in agreement most of the time. I'll need to use it more though before I can form an opinion on its performance especially under different conditions.

What I like so far is the ability to customize almost all the views. It has a nice card file type index for the waypoints so that the alphabet is broken into 4 chunks. I dropped the GC from the waypoints when I uploaded them to it so I don't have to scroll through the whole 500 list to find one. The display is very easy to read under normal conditions. I'll have to wait for some sunny days and some night time viewing to report how it works in those conditions. Overall the interface is intuitive and easy to use with major features and functions easy to access and view.

It can show your bearing and your current Lat/Long so Garmin did not leave out those features like on the forerunner.

I don't like its charging/data cradle. It seems that they could have done something better with that. One nice thing about that design is that replacement cables are reasonably priced direct from Garmin. I've never understood why they charge so much for their other cables. These don't even seem to be Propietary Garmin cables which might be why they are cheaper.

The wrist strap is comfortable and the buttons are located so that I think it would be equally easy for a right or left handed person to wear it and use it.

I'll try to write up something organized after I've used it some.

My mother's day present was a foretrex 201. I tried it out last weekend on my first geocache hunt--a 3-part virtual (the only thing where I was). It was spot on. The goto feature works _great_, the compass updates quickly, arm movement does not seem to be an issue. So far I love it. We will be using it while hiking (haven't tried it yet), geocaching, training runs (works great), and cycling. That's why he picked it--the wrist strap is my favorite part, pitiful though that is (see below!).

We (OK, he) even figured out how to download the tracks to Topo California (Mac). This goes Foretrex--PC serial cable it came with--PC serial to Mac serial cable that came with husband's Palm--Keyspan mac serial to Mac USB converter--Keyspan 4-slot Mac USB--ibook. Sounds crazy, but it imports right into Topo perfectly. We didn't even have to buy anything new.

Our only issues so far:

--I hate the fact that when entering names or whatever you can only scroll forward through letters, not backward (if you're at A and heading to Z you have to go through everything). Need to see if there is a better way.

--Most of our training runs and bikes go from the house, and we can't figure out how to separate the routes when they import. This may be a Topo issue,and we might just have to download and delete after each time.

--I am female. I have a small wrist. This thing is nearly as wide as my arm (I am not exaggerating here). It is unwieldy and weird, I haven't gotten entirely used to it yet. The band does not, thank goodness, overlap on the other side when I put it on though. I have the same problem with my heartrate monitor, but this thing is even wider.

--I have had a horrible time with the booklet. Coming fromour ancient GPS, this thing has a gazillion features, and they seem to assume I know what they all are and what they are called and how they work. I don't. I'm not entirely sure what all I can do just yet.

--Our 18-month old keeps getting his hands on the charging cradle and sucking on it--it's a perfect baby chew toy,and the 4yo keeps getting it for him. Need to find a better hiding spot...

For reference, our (us...his) GPS is a Garmin GPSII plus. We're not sure how old it is, but it tends to lead us in circles and it's huge.

Audrey

I know when I end up getting a Foretrex soon, it's going to be a 101, not a 201. I hate the idea of knowing I can't replace the batteries on the go, and that I'd have to send the thing in for service after about a year or so use to get the battery replaced.

You have to decide what is important to you. I decided that it being .3 inches thinner was more important to me.

You can charge it on the go, I just ordered a AA battery extender and a car charger for mine.

I compared the four fore* devices for a long time in the shop and finally decided to grab the foretrex 201.

Why the foretrex and not the forerunner? I mostly do Geocaching and I enjoyed all the features the foretrex has and the forerunner lacks.

Why the 201 instead of the 101? First I have to make clear that I am the die-hard-AA-rechargeable-batteries-in-every-device-user. f*** all the Li-Ion stuff, I want to be able to throw in some batteries and go on. Digital Camera, PDA, electric toothbrush, Maglite etc. everything AAs including my old 12Map. Always had four AAs with me and when one of the devices broke down => who cares, throw in new batteries and go fot it. BUT: The 101 is not only thicker than the 201, the centre of gravity is too far away from my relatively thin arm and therefore it bounces around like mad when doing sports. The 201 doesn´t, even if the weight is the same. I have to buy a car charger when going out with the 201 and it requires far more discipline in charging, I can not just stock my equipment with a big pack of AAAs and then forget about the power. Always charge it before going out. It´s a bit annoying, but that´s the price I pay for not having the device bouncing around when I´m running or biking.

Schnüffelstück

I compared the four fore* devices for a long time in the shop and finally decided to grab the foretrex 201.

Why the foretrex and not the forerunner? I mostly do Geocaching and I enjoyed all the features the foretrex has and the forerunner lacks.

Why the 201 instead of the 101? First I have to make clear that I am the die-hard-AA-rechargeable-batteries-in-every-device-user. f*** all the Li-Ion stuff, I want to be able to throw in some batteries and go on. Digital Camera, PDA, electric toothbrush, Maglite etc. everything AAs including my old 12Map. Always had four AAs with me and when one of the devices broke down => who cares, throw in new batteries and go fot it. BUT: The 101 is not only thicker than the 201, the centre of gravity is too far away from my relatively thin arm and therefore it bounces around like mad when doing sports. The 201 doesn´t, even if the weight is the same. I have to buy a car charger when going out with the 201 and it requires far more discipline in charging, I can not just stock my equipment with a big pack of AAAs and then forget about the power. Always charge it before going out. It´s a bit annoying, but that´s the price I pay for not having the device bouncing around when I´m running or biking.

Schnüffelstück

You can buy a battery extender pack (under $10) that takes AA's and recharge your foretrex on the run with it. Thats similar to what I did for mine. Just so that I always have a backup.

I ordered a USB charging cord for it for $9 from Pc--Mobile then I ordered a universal battery extender with USB port, $17, from Semsons.com. I can then use the USB cable to charge off any computer or plug it into my car adapter and charge it off the cig lighter or plug it into my USB 110v adapter, or plug it into the battery pack and charge it. I ordered the battery pack with the USB plug because I have several devices that can charge off it. If all you want is a battery pack for your fortrex PC-mobile has one for $10.

I hate the fact that when entering names or whatever you can only scroll forward through letters, not backward (if you're at A and heading to Z you have to go through everything). Need to see if there is a better way.

Hi Audrey, there is a solution. When you scroll backwards, you get to the top of the list. Release the scroll button, and press it again. Voila, you're at the bottom of the list.

FWIW, I bought a Forerunner 201 and Foretrex 201 last week! Woo hoo! I wanted both because I'm a runner and the training pace/distance features of the Forerunner 201 were important to me. But for general hiking or geocaching, the Foretrex is much better, allowing you to see much more detailed information such as compass bearing to the waypoint. The Foretrex also has more memory for waypoints, and the Forerunner does not do routing. While I have done some urban orientiering via GPS for about a year, I am new to geocaching. I just switched from a Meridian GPS to the Foretrex 201 for urban orientiering, and I am very happy with the small form factor.

As I have posted elsewhere, if I had to own just one, I would own the Foretrex. The Foretrex feels like a GPS, and the Forerunner feels like a running watch.

Now, if Garmin ever develops a Foretrex 301 with mapping capabilities, I will definitely buy it.

(Edited for spelling)

Edited by gglockner

:lol: I have been using the Foretrex 101 for about two weeks now for urban geocaching. I have not been disappointed. I've had a Garmin GPS-12 for several years and had no issues with that unit either except I wanted something smaller and lighter for backpacking. I picked the 101 over the 201 because I felt more comfortable with just having to carry an extra pair of AAA batteries rather than worry about the unit running out of power or of having to carry charging equipment in my pack. I have been experimenting with the Ray-o-Vac 15 minute rechargeables and have not been disappointed thus far.

As far as for the unit itself, I find the quality everything I expected from a Garmin unit. It gets locks very quickly and so far I have only lost locks on campus when I am surrounded by tall buildings. As noted by another user, the screens are very user friendly and customizable. The only screen missing from the 101 as compared to the G-12 was the comment screen where you could note a specific comment about each waypoint.

I usually take the unit off the wristband for urban caching rather than wearing it on my wrist (I hate things on my wrist anyway, even watches). This past weekend, though, I did wear it on my wrist while bicycling to various caches in town and had no problems. I did not lose signals when the unit was at the side of my body. Again, this was in town, not in deep forest cover. So, your mileage may vary. All in all I am very happy with this unit. I plan to keep my G-12 for auto use (I have a cig lighther adapter for it) and use the 101 for field use.

Happy Geocaching!

I'm thinking of getting a ForeTrex 101.

It does not come with a serial cable, so anyone know what plug is used (and the pinouts) so I can make my own? From the pics it looks like a standard 3.5mm stereo phono plug?

Also, anyone know of the best web site to get cheapest delivery to Australia? Ebay looks to be the go so far...

Thanks

EcoDave :D

Edited by EcoTeam

It does not come with a serial cable, so anyone know what plug is used (and the pinouts) so I can make my own? From the pics it looks like a standard 3.5mm stereo phono plug?

Also, anyone know of the best web site to get cheapest delivery to Australia? Ebay looks to be the go so far...

The data cable is $15 direct from Garmin and you may find it cheaper elsewhere. It hardly seems worth hacking your own cable together for that much. The best price I've seen on the foretrex was from GPS City and Amazon was about $5 more. I don't know what either site charges for shipping to Australia.

Edit: You may want to consider the 201. It comes with the data cable, an integrated rechargeable battery(+ charger), and is .3 inches thinner than the 101. Its only $20 more than the 101.

Edited by JeepCachr

The data cable is $15 direct from Garmin and you may find it cheaper elsewhere. It hardly seems worth hacking your own cable together for that much. The best price I've seen on the foretrex was from GPS City and Amazon was about $5 more. I don't know what either site charges for shipping to Australia.

Edit: You may want to consider the 201. It comes with the data cable, an integrated rechargeable battery(+ charger), and is .3 inches thinner than the 101. Its only $20 more than the 101.

$15US translates into about $30AU delivered. Not cheap at all, esp when it only costs a few tens of cents to manufacture in volume. I refuse to pay it on principle :unsure:

I wouldn't touch the 201, anything that doesn't have a battery you can replace in the field get the thumbs down in my book. The "battery eliminator" options aren't viable either, I always carry spare AAA's for other gear.

I can't seem to find the connector type or pinouts anywhere, I'm Googled to death. Anyone?

EcoDave :)