76s Or 60cs

hi has anyone had good luck geocaching with 76s I have one but it looks like it dose not lock onto satellites very well compared to my legend id like to send it into garmin for fixing hopefully they will if not im thinking of getting 60cs

hoping it will work better

thanks

Jason

I use a GPSmap76s alot. It seems to work well for geocaching. As far as I know ,the unit is effected more by atmosphere/obstacles. Any unit I read about has this limitation. I find it helpful to include a pointer and distance to next info field on my map page. I also leave the audible message alert on, normally the sat signal is reaquired in a few seconds.

I hope this helps, but have never used 60cs. :mad:B)

I recently upgraded my from my 76s and bought the 60cs. Most of my driving around is done in the foresty service roads of North Georgia as well as 95% of geocaching. I have found that that the 60cs appears to lock in better that the 76s did, but it will still loose the sats in heavy tree cover, especially now that the leaves are back on the trees. One thing that seems to make a difference in my opinion is the built-in antenna on the 60cs. It picks up when you are holding the unit vertically or horizonally and I always had to hold the 76s upright when it lost the signal. The 76s seems to be designed more for use in an automobile, sitting on the dash in a vertical postition and the 60cs is made more for outdoor use. The same external antenna with a MCX connector fits either unit so I had bought an aftermarket unit from ebayandhave it mounted next to the windshield wipers on my Pathfinder. The wire is ran inside and laying next to the GPS bracket on the dash so I can easily connect it if the signal gets lost in the woods. I did this yesterday and locked back into the sats in just a few seconds and worked like a charm. I am very glad I bought the 60cs as it has given me a lot more things that I was missing in the 76s such as more memory and the active compass. I bought the mapping software from Garmin and I can just get the entire state of Georgia loaded into the unit. So in my opinion, I would recommend it over the 76s, but I have not looked at the new 76cs yet.

Edited by EagleMtnHigh
:( I was out using my new cs down in a creek bed covered with heavy trees and folage this weekend and never lost coverage. On the drive up to the cache (86) miles I had the unit on in the car with no external anttena and it got traded back and forth in the back of the van so the kids could see it and it never lost coverage.I am very happy with the cs

I have a new 60CS and I'm liking it.. except for one place on a trail recently.

Everytime I passed by one spot I lost reception.

- It was a bright blue-sky day

- No leaves on the trees yet

- I was on top of the escarpment (rock faces cause havoc)

- Newly recharged batteries

- No powerlines or other interference around

I passed this spot 3 times and each time I lost satellite reception. :( That was the only time all day I had trouble.

I am going back (with my Sportrak Magellan too) to check this out. Maybe drag some others along. Weird.