"muggles?" Come On, People!!

i don't use it, but i'm just not happy with not using it unless i can carp about WHY i don't use it. how will people notice that i'm purposely not using it if i don't make a big fuss? i tried that for a while, and all that happened was it became a prevalent term while i was quietly ignoring it.

i cannot allow this to happen ever again. ever vigilant i go, guardian of speech as i prefer it.

everyone is entitled to my opinion.

bow before me, puny mortals. be afraid, for my nose is quite large.

i don't use it, but i'm just not happy with not using it unless i can carp about WHY i don't use it. how will people notice that i'm purposely not using it if i don't make a big fuss? i tried that for a while, and all that happened was it became a prevalent term while i was quietly ignoring it.

i cannot allow this to happen ever again. ever vigilant i go, guardian of speech as i prefer it.

everyone is entitled to my opinion.

ROFL--oh, wait, you're talking about me, aren't you? That's not funny.

ROFL

I'll be plagerizing you in the near future. I'll give due credit of where I got it from until I have used it 3 times. B)

you can go ahead an plagiarize me, but i've only paraphrased someone else's work. it took me a while to find it but here's the way it really goes:

we are so great

we are magnificent

bow down to us all puny and mortal

for we are your sovereigns.

beware of our powers

for we have huge noses.

we make good muffins.

the muffins taste yummy

we are so special

very, very special

we are smart and shiny

we shimmer like stars

or goldfish.

or muffins.

we are mighty

we have issues

and we just don't care.

we love them

and we love muffins.

muffins are good.

tremble in our presence

everyone should bow before our greater glory

we sit in chairs.

i knew you'd want to know.

Edited by flask
This is the thread that has no end

It just goes on and on my friend

Some people started posting here not knowing what it was

Now they'll continue posting here forever just because...

Repeat, ad nauseum...

Yeah, and the really sad thing is I can't help but open this thread and read each new post. I need therapy ...

i have not yet today scoffed at people who use teh word "muggle" in non-HP contexts.

i have not yet today sneered nor have i looked down my nose at them.

i have not yet today made fun at their expense.

i was at a barbecue last weekend and referred to anyone unfamiliar with the sponsoring organization as "muggles", with mixed results. my geocaching friends laughed. the mentally ill homeless guy smiled knowingly. and i'm now missing three teeth.

ok, now i have scoffed. i feel better now.

i have not yet today scoffed at people who use teh word "muggle" in non-HP contexts.

i have not yet today sneered nor have i looked down my nose at them.

i have not yet today made fun at their expense.

i was at a barbecue last weekend and referred to anyone unfamiliar with the sponsoring organization as "muggles", with mixed results. my geocaching friends laughed. the mentally ill homeless guy smiled knowingly. and i'm now missing three teeth.

ok, now i have scoffed. i feel better now.

:tongue:

is "nauseum" a place where collections of vomitus are kept for viewing? or is it restricted to displays about queasiness?

Nah...your thinking of a nausaleum.... ;)

I thought a nausaleum was a place where vomitus was laid to rest. :lol:

is "nauseum" a place where collections of vomitus are kept for viewing? or is it restricted to displays about queasiness?

Nah...your thinking of a nausaleum.... ;)

Wouldn't that be a nausetorium?

:lol: depends on if it is past or present...

So if I'm in the process it's ? And after it's?

Nah...your thinking of a nausaleum.... :lol:

;) depends on if it is past or present...

You guys are nauseating. ;)

And this discussion begs the question, "Is it appropriate to eat food recovered from an autopsy?"

And this discussion begs the question, "Is it appropriate to eat food recovered from an autopsy?"

Oh boy. Let the vomutis fly ... ;)

Now I'm nauseated.icon8.gif

Hi,

Nothing to add, I just like looking at the nested quote boxes ;)

nfa

Hi,

nfa

Very pyramidal isn't it?

Hi,

nfa

Very pyramidal isn't it?

It's very Egyptian...

:P depends on if it is past or present...

Hi,

nfa

Very pyramidal isn't it?

It's very Egyptian...

Walk like an...... ;)

Nah...your thinking of a nausaleum.... :)

Hi,

nfa

Very pyramidal isn't it?

It's very Egyptian...

Walk like an...... :P

Another thread to get closed and people redirected to Sibject Alliness. :lol:

Nauseturition!

Nah...your thinking of a nausaleum.... :P

Hi,

Nothing to add, I just like looking at the nested quote boxes :)

nfa

Very pyramidal isn't it?

It's very Egyptian...

Walk like an...... :lol:

Another thread to get closed and people redirected to Sibject Alliness. ;)

Nauseturition!

Don't look at me it was broken when I got here! :P

I certainly agree with the general consensus that this topic has been pretty much played out, and that most of the recent posts would be better directed toward that mighty steamship, Abject Silliness.

Closing this thread would save a lot of good people from having to mutter, tsk, and heave great Al Gore-like sighs over being forced to read its contents, thus dissipating the energies they would otherwise be utilizing for cancer cures and famine remediation and other weighty issues. Such a move might immeasurably enhance the quality of life on this troubled planet.

Since I was the originator of the topic, does anyone know if I can close it? Or is that a moderator decision?

To cut it short, IMHO this is just the way our language evolves. 'Muggle' is borrowed from Harry potter for now but the term is VERY likely to be applied to ANY circumstance where it's the enlightened (in our case the GC community) vs the unaware. A LOT of words now common start as insider terms or esoteric references. Take any person from the 60s and use a term begining with the over used: Extereme-, Cyber-, Mega- anything and they'd have no clue what you were talking about but over time these things take on their own lives and eventually integrate into common language. I still prefer to think of things with low density or little weight as being LIGHT but thanks to Miller brewing and the diet craze everything lo-cal or even simple is now LITE and as Barnstable pointed out early on in this thread 'McJob' is a common term and can even be found in Merrian Webster (see m-w.com).

So you say Lite, and I say light; I say muggle you say (insert term here) but as appropiate as the term is I think it's going stick, like it or not. Just my first $0.02

I certainly agree with the general consensus that this topic has been pretty much played out, and that most of the recent posts would be better directed toward that mighty steamship, Abject Silliness.

Closing this thread would save a lot of good people from having to mutter, tsk, and heave great Al Gore-like sighs over being forced to read its contents, thus dissipating the energies they would otherwise be utilizing for cancer cures and famine remediation and other weighty issues. Such a move might immeasurably enhance the quality of life on this troubled planet.

Since I was the originator of the topic, does anyone know if I can close it? Or is that a moderator decision?

Look in the lower left hand corner.

Edit: Our avatars look cute together.

03a9dd6f-c97c-4bbc-85e1-e9a44e57a821.jpg

Man, now that's funny.

Barnstable, there is a box at the bottom left of the page. You should be able to close if from there. If you post a message you have an option to close it also right above the add reply buttons. It is courteous to give a "Goodnight Gracie" post letting others know that you closed the topic.