"muggles?" Come On, People!!

How's about we call them Barnstables?  Almost ranks up there with ringbone, don't ya think?

Said the guy (gal?) who's posted twelve messages on this trivial topic... :D

Hey, you're the one who called it trivial, not me. Maybe we could coin a phrase for trivial topic starters and call them Barnstables..........but, ya know, I don't like the phrase "coin a phrase", so maybe we should lobby to change that, too......hmmm....I don't think I like the phrase "phrase" either......heck, as a matter of fact, as long as we're wasting our time trying to change an accepted word for geocaching, let's just change the name geocaching too.....and instead of using GPSr's, let use, ummmm......rocks...yeah, rocks! And instead of having a website where we could post coordinates to our caches, let's just hide them and not even tell anyone...yeah, change is good, now that I think about it! Why stop there? Let's not even hide caches. Let's just change that part of the game, too! Let's just all sit around, not using any words that have ever been used for anything ever before and invent a totally new language of unused words, and have rules that once you use a word for one thing, it can never, ever be used again...not even for that one thing!!! Man, I like this! Why don't we.......aw, forget it. Muggles works for 99.99% of the geocaching community, so let's just keep it. Nobody ever said you had to use the word anyway, so why start a thread trying to change it? Heck, nobody said you even had to start geocaching, either. If the word "muggle" bothers you so much, why don't you just quit? You could go play Charades, if words mean that much to you........

Well, I'll be danged, I'm Norm!!!! Or is that Muggle? Or was it subigo? Oh, PILTY, I think I just ringboned a subigo in this barnstable! :(

Edited by Sparky-Watts
I'm thinking we might want to have a poll.  I'll email the admin about it.

Just you go ahead and poll all you want to. I will still say 'muggles' what ever. And I have no reason to think that anyone on here will suddenly fail to understand what I mean by it.

Vizzini : Muggles!

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Let me just say...

1) It's obvious that the first mention of "NORM" in this thread wasn't intended as an alternative to "muggle," but (who was it, mtn-man??) someone noticed that "NORM" does work perfectly, and I have to agree. You can yell out "NORM" while searching in the woods and the passers-by will simply think you're calling someone's name and not wonder why you just reffered to them as a "muggle." Also, most importantly, perhaps if the term "NORM" were given another usage, the forum insiders will stop with the all-too-hilarious current usage of the term at every available opportunity. :( Is it really still funny???

2) He didn't necessarily count the number of posts made by Sparky-Watts. The reply stats are given by clicking on the number of replies for the thread on the main page.

3) What has barnstable done, exactly, to be mentioned in the same company as subigo, Pilty, or ringbone??

4) Is there anything more ironic than when someone posts to a thread just to label it a "dead horse??" I've got a tip... you don't like it?? Quit reading it.

I guess that's it...

4) Is there anything more ironic than when someone posts to a thread just to label it a "dead horse??" I've got a tip... you don't like it?? Quit reading it.

THANK YOU for saying that! I wholeheartedly agree. Everytime I see someone bring up the dead horse subject, I immediately start thinking that person is acting more like the smelly end of a horse.

Remember, not everyone was here when you first discussed these topics and there's no harm in bringing them up in a new thread. If you wouldn't like to read about it again, then stay out of it and let other people contribute to it. There's nothing I hate more than getting email notification of a new post in a thread only to go back to it and find that someone has contributed nothing more than an insult or the dead horse beating and didn't contribute anything to the topic of the thread itself.

OK...Muggles/shmuggles...who cares. I just call them Non-cachers. What's the big deal. Call them whatever...But you don't have to call them Johnson. I just want to cache!

Cache On People!

I believe the correct grammar is, "But you doesn't has to call them Johnson."

LOL....you are correct. I forgot exactly how he said that. !!

I leave geocaching for six months while moving and taking care of an infant, then get back into it and find that the whole place is stinking with references to "Muggles." Meaning people who don't geocache.

Ugh.

I beg of you all to forcibly reject this too-precious word choice. Let's find our own word--here's some suggestions to start us off:

--Igbys (short for Ignorant Bystanders)

--Plastics (cache or plastic--get it?)

--Encods (NCOD's--non caching outdoor dwellers)

Well, am I alone here?

You are not alone. Hate "muggle", too cute by far. Don't like your words either.

Prefer just "non-cachers".

I leave geocaching for six months while moving and taking care of an infant, then get back into it and find that the whole place is stinking with references to "Muggles."  Meaning people who don't geocache.

Ugh.

I beg of you all to forcibly reject this too-precious word choice.  Let's find our own word--here's some suggestions to start us off:

Well, am I alone here?

You are not alone. Hate "muggle", too cute by far. Don't like your words either.

Prefer just "non-cachers".

Then go ahead and use "non-cachers" if that's the word that makes you happy. The rest of us will use Muggles, or Norms, or whatever else we choose to.

Hormel wasn't very happy about Spam being used to reference something other than luncheon meat, but there wasn't anything they could do about it.

Speaking of Spam, is this horse dead yet? :(

How's about we call them Barnstables?  Almost ranks up there with ringbone, don't ya think?

Said the guy (gal?) who's posted twelve messages on this trivial topic... :(

Hey, you're the one who called it trivial, not me. Maybe we could coin a phrase for trivial topic starters and call them Barnstables..........but, ya know, I don't like the phrase "coin a phrase", so maybe we should lobby to change that, too......hmmm....I don't think I like the phrase "phrase" either......heck, as a matter of fact, as long as we're wasting our time trying to change an accepted word for geocaching, let's just change the name geocaching too.....and instead of using GPSr's, let use, ummmm......rocks...yeah, rocks! And instead of having a website where we could post coordinates to our caches, let's just hide them and not even tell anyone...yeah, change is good, now that I think about it! Why stop there? Let's not even hide caches. Let's just change that part of the game, too! Let's just all sit around, not using any words that have ever been used for anything ever before and invent a totally new language of unused words, and have rules that once you use a word for one thing, it can never, ever be used again...not even for that one thing!!! Man, I like this! Why don't we.......aw, forget it. Muggles works for 99.99% of the geocaching community, so let's just keep it. Nobody ever said you had to use the word anyway, so why start a thread trying to change it? Heck, nobody said you even had to start geocaching, either. If the word "muggle" bothers you so much, why don't you just quit? You could go play Charades, if words mean that much to you........

Well, I'll be danged, I'm Norm!!!! Or is that Muggle? Or was it subigo? Oh, PILTY, I think I just ringboned a subigo in this barnstable! :(

Well, I'm ready to call a truce in the Sarcasm Olympics here, Sparky. I truly didn't mean to earn your scorn. And I fully realize that I am under no obligation to use the word, and in fact I don't. The fact that many people do will not chase me from the pastime.

I've been surprised and entertained by most of the thoughtful comments on this thread. I've also been a little disapointed by the rash of "Don't like it, don't use it" comments, which are both axiomatic and contradictory. No one here is unaware of their free will, so the posts are not instructive; also, the poster breaks his own "don't like it, don't participate" creed by posting in the first place.

I started this post to find out if people like the word "muggle" or not, in its current geocaching usage. Just because it's in wide use doesn't mean the books are closed on the issue. Language does evolve, and if a better alternative comes along, people will use it. I'm hoping "muggle" does get replaced, and if this thread helps that to happen, I'm glad. So far, the posts indicate that it's going to be an uphill battle, and if so, fine. Contrary to some opinion, this does not consume me. I just find it interesting.

I will probably decide on my favorite word eventually, and then I'll use it. And that's pretty much that. Meanwhile, it's great to read your opinions. Geocachers are, by and large, an active, intelligent, and fun-loving group, of which I am happy to be a part.

Aren't there many more important issues that need to be discussed than the use of a word?

Some people call it soda, I call it pop. Some people call it a sofa, I call it a couch. Some people call them non-cachers, I call them muggles. No matter what you call it, it all means the same thing.

Aren't there many more important issues that need to be discussed than the use of a word?

Some people call it soda, I call it pop. Some people call it a sofa, I call it a couch. Some people call them non-cachers, I call them muggles. No matter what you call it, it all means the same thing.

Of course there is! But that shouldn't be the cause to stop a lively debate. I've put my 2 bits in here (or is that 4 bits now due to inflation?), and mainly have just been reading the responses because the subject does interest me as it apparently does others.

I have only one suggestion for anybody if this is not important or interesting enough for you to follow:

Please feel free to stop reading. :(

Cheers!

TL

Edited by TotemLake

I wince when I read the word "muggle" (or did, before reading this thread, which has pretty well desensitized me). Can't imagine actually saying it. But it is descriptive and well understood.

One alternative nobody has mentioned yet is "civilian". People doing road rallies have been known to use this for non-participants. It has the advantage of being perfectly non-derogatory. OTOH, it doesn't have the useful overtone of "unaware"; civilians, during rallies or otherwise, usually know that something is going on.

Since the term "Pinko Commie" is now available we can press that into service. Civilian allready has a meaning known to all that can be confused. Muggle should be a good word for most languages. I doubut they need to "Translate it" into other languages. Except for maybe the French.

Still I think muggle works, works well, and while it may not be spoken so much as written in logs, WTF.

Since the term "Pinko Commie" is now available we can press that into service. Civilian allready has a meaning known to all that can be confused. Muggle should be a good word for most languages. I doubut they need to "Translate it" into other languages. Except for maybe the French.

Still I think muggle works, works well, and while it may not be spoken so much as written in logs, WTF.

Nope, we still use that term to describe Seattle City Council people and certain anti-caching park rangers.

I agree that muggle works well, but I've had different experience -- it works well when spoken AND when written.

Random quotes from Leprechauns cache hunts:

"Psssst, muggle alert!"

"Daddy, there's too many muggles here, I don't like this cache."

"Wow, muggle city."

"Another micro in a muggle-rich environment. Pretend you want to climb the wall."

"Let's get that cache on a rainy day when there aren't so many muggles around."

"Let me take your picture here while we wait for the muggles to hike past us on the trail."

Particularly when I need to say "muggle alert," this term seems to be recognized by everyone I've cached with, from 8 year olds to 60 year olds. Its meaning is instantly comprehended and responded to. Active cache searching stops, talking about hiding spots ceases, and you switch into "stealth mode."

I can't imagine the alternatives:

"Daddy, there is a person who is not a geocacher coming... shoot, he just saw you with the cache... too late."

"Watch out for the IGBY!" "The WHAT?" "The... what did that stand for? Oops. Too late. The IGBY saw you."

I can't imagine the alternatives:

"Daddy, there is a person who is not a geocacher coming... shoot, he just saw you with the cache... too late."

"Watch out for the IGBY!" "The WHAT?" "The... what did that stand for? Oops. Too late. The IGBY saw you."

Okay, that was pretty funny... :(

Ha! Just found a new usage in another thread!

This from BalboaGirl:

I might want to qualify the above statement about not having to worry about muggles far off the trail. Just last week, we were muggle-jumped pretty bad by some mushroom hunters very far off the trail. Luckily, they seemed to be looking for mushrooms more than they were paying attention to us.

Muggle-jumped! I love it!

I'm thinking we might want to have a poll.  I'll email the admin about it.

Just you go ahead and poll all you want to. I will still say 'muggles' what ever. And I have no reason to think that anyone on here will suddenly fail to understand what I mean by it.

Vizzini : Muggles!

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Do they come on the forum here? Don't tell me Humperdinkerdumperdriver is here too!

Hee-hee-heeeeeee! It ALL means the same thing? Soda, pop, sofa, couch, non-cachers - ALL of those terms mean muggles?

LOL, so a muggle is a non-cacher who has been carbonated and is OK to sit on.

There ye go - no more to say really..... Sounds fine to me.

:(:(:(:(:D:D:(

I started this post to find out if people like the word "muggle" or not, in its current geocaching usage.

Hmmm...reading back over your opening post, I find that statement to be highly contradictory:

I beg of you all to forcibly reject this too-precious word choice. Let's find our own word--here's some suggestions to start us off:

............care to rephrase that, or just let the ringbone stand? Edited by Sparky-Watts

I started this post to find out if people like the word "muggle" or not, in its current geocaching usage.

Hmmm...reading back over your opening post, I find that statement to be highly contradictory:

............care to rephrase that, or just let the ringbone stand?

I must plead ignorance on what exactly a "ringbone" is, so I can't speak to that portion of your post.

As to the first part, believe it or not, my purpose in posting was to find out if people liked the word "muggle," as I said. Now, if I had started a topic by saying...

"Hey, y'all like the word "muggle?""

...I doubt if the thread would have lasted ten replies. I'm a freelance writer, and communication is my business; I know that one sure way to provoke a response is to take a stand. So that's what I did--and meant what I wrote.

Did I expect the geocaching community to rise as one and "forcibly reject this too-precious word choice?" Well, actually, that would have been pretty cool, now that I think of it. But no, I did not expect that to happen. What I hoped for was a healthy response and debate (Okay, okay, I also hoped to influence opinion with my brilliant rhetoric, but I've been a writer long enough to keep that hope on a pretty tight leash :( ).

And I think even you have to admit that five pages and counting of discussion of a fairly esoteric aspect of geocaching is a healthy response. I'm glad for it; I got what I wanted from it.

No contradictions to rephrase.

I think people post to this topic because it is silly.

I always like seeing hehe or heehee in text.

Abject silliness thread has no point and it has over 18,000 posts, so the number in responses don't necessarily mean it's a hot topic.

No need to look. This is my 9th post with no substance.

Abject silliness thread has no point and it has over 18,000 posts, so the number in responses don't necessarily mean it's a hot topic.

King Arthur: On second thought, let's not post here--it's a silly thread.

BTW Jeremy, is your picture the kid who played Alfalfa? Looks like it. I heard he was a mean little guy.

By your own admission, you've posted 9 times without adding any substance. Thus, an argument can be made that Abject Silliness ought to have 18,009 posts. Please review our Forum Guidelines and be sure to post to the proper topic.

heehee.

By your own admission, you've posted 9 times without adding any substance. Thus, an argument can be made that Abject Silliness ought to have 18,009 posts. Please review our Forum Guidelines and be sure to post to the proper topic.

heehee.

In order for Jeremy to post in Abject Silliness, he will need to read all 18,000 replies. I would rather he work on server problems (Error in application "/" or something like that.

Besides, if he were to read all 18,000 replies, some of us may get banned :(

I must plead ignorance on what exactly a "ringbone" is, so I can't speak to that portion of your post.

As to the first part, believe it or not, my purpose in posting was to find out if people liked the word "muggle," as I said. Now, if I had started a topic by saying...

"Hey, y'all like the word "muggle?""

...I doubt if the thread would have lasted ten replies. I'm a freelance writer, and communication is my business; I know that one sure way to provoke a response is to take a stand. So that's what I did--and meant what I wrote.

Did I expect the geocaching community to rise as one and "forcibly reject this too-precious word choice?" Well, actually, that would have been pretty cool, now that I think of it. But no, I did not expect that to happen. What I hoped for was a healthy response and debate (Okay, okay, I also hoped to influence opinion with my brilliant rhetoric, but I've been a writer long enough to keep that hope on a pretty tight leash :( ).

And I think even you have to admit that five pages and counting of discussion of a fairly esoteric aspect of geocaching is a healthy response. I'm glad for it; I got what I wanted from it.

No contradictions to rephrase.

Well, I, too, am a freelance writer, and have been published in all venues of print media, and I just don't see how you expect to convey "Do you like this?" by saying "I hate this and we should all change it." Are you sure you're not a politician, because you sure seem to do a lot of doublespeak.

As for the rest of it, see Jeremy's post above about AS.

As for ringbone, you should do some research

here.

Well, I, too, am a freelance writer, and have been published in all venues of print media, and I just don't see how you expect to convey "Do you like this?" by saying "I hate this and we should all change it." Are you sure you're not a politician, because you sure seem to do a lot of doublespeak.

As for the rest of it, see Jeremy's post above about AS.

As for ringbone, you should do some research

here.

Congratulations on your writing success.

You are free to go back through the thread and see how many posts end up saying something to the effect of "I like muggle" or "I don't like muggle." There are a lot of them, and that's what I was hoping for. Sometimes the advocacy method, or an appeal to emotion, or even a provocation works better than a simple interrogative.

As for doublespeak, I can only say that I have the highest respect for your thoughtful and stimulating conversation. :)

As for ringbone, thanks for the link. It explains a lot about your attitude toward me, or I guess to my original question.

heehee.

hehe

"I guess my question is, am I the only one for whom the use of the term sets his (or her) teeth on edge, as just being too cutesy? "

i, personally, can't stand it. it is way to cute for me and stinks of adults trying to be precocius and hip.

wow, that sounds bitter.

"I guess my question is, am I the only one for whom the use of the term sets his (or her) teeth on edge, as just being too cutesy? "

i, personally, can't stand it. it is way to cute for me and stinks of adults trying to be precocius and hip.

wow, that sounds bitter.

It's ok, pookey-wookey. Those wittle muggle-wuggles won't hurt you! Snookums will be just fine snuggled up with your blankey-wankey and your binkey-winkey. Let me get you some num-num, you cute wittle schmoopey-woopey! :)

i, personally, can't stand it.  it is way to cute for me and stinks of adults trying to be precocius and hip.

wow, that sounds bitter.

It's ok, pookey-wookey. Those wittle muggle-wuggles won't hurt you! Snookums will be just fine snuggled up with your blankey-wankey and your binkey-winkey. Let me get you some num-num, you cute wittle schmoopey-woopey! :D

:)

The M-word sets my teeth on edge. I didn't care for it in the HP books and I despise its use in geocaching. The fact that it's so popular is a sad statement on our lack of originality.

The fact that people are still talking about this subject days later is a sad statement about our lack of better stuff to do... :)

It seems to be a part of the geocaching lexicon...live with it...nobody said you have to use the term.

If it really bothers you, you could copy and paste each instance of usage (logs, forums, etc.) at gc.com into a document, switch it for "people who don't know about geocaching", and then reload it onto an alternate website that is formed around the premise that silly words are bad for humanity.

nfa

The M-word sets my teeth on edge. I didn't care for it in the HP books and I despise its use in geocaching. The fact that it's so popular is a sad statement on our lack of originality.

M-word? Oh you mean muggle!

mugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemuggle

mugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemugglemuggle

cache_us_if_you_can

You mean

junkcache.jpg