"muggles?" Come On, People!!

I am still new and the word muggle still hasn't caught on for me. I just can't bring myself to call someone a muggle. I love the HP books and movies but just can't seem to bring myself to use muggle.

I don't care if others use it but I don't . :bad:

I guess it does seem a little childish...but like Jermey said..."It's only a game." Although I prefer to think of it more as a hobby like hiking or biking.

Theres my two pennies now LEAVE ME ALONE! Oh, you weren't talking to me? Sorry about that. :lol:

i like muggle. to me a muggle is someone who just doesn't get it. about anything. my father is a muggle, my mother isn't. my husband is a muggle. he will go caching with me but it's not special to him. it is special to me. just be glad we didn't start calling them dementors. :lol: although that would fit my husband sometimes.

My spidey-sense is tingling... could this be--sarcasm?

Wait a minute...

You objected to the use of "muggle" because of it's connection to a children's book and marketing, But you're using a word from a popular comic book and movie character? :lol:

Thank you for catching that. I was thinking how ironic.

For example, I have no clue how much beer to bring to Sax Man's campout. There has been absolutely no beer co-ordination for this event. And music? Where do I plug in my theremin? How can we have the first Saxaphone/Theremin duel in the history of geocaching if I can't plug-in?

Hey, I'd PAY to see that! :lol:

For example, I have no clue how much beer to bring to Sax Man's campout. There has been absolutely no beer co-ordination for this event. And music? Where do I plug in my theremin? How can we have the first Saxaphone/Theremin duel in the history of geocaching if I can't plug-in?

Hey, I'd PAY to see that! :bad:

I'm not sure the muggles would go for that :lol:

Would it help to know that, altho popularized by the 'Harry Potter' books, there was an older use of 'muggles', 'muggled' etc.?

'Muggles' was a term in the south for marijuana cigarettes.

'Muggled' was a term for cheap trash offered for sale as smuggled goods.

Both of those uses are from: 'The Woodsworth Dictionary Of The Underworld' by Eric Partridge. I am quoting from the 1995 paperback edition, the original was published in 1950. The first 'Harry Potter' book was not published until 1997.

Using cute words to label others really says more about the user than the other person.

like pookie bear?

"Watch out. Pookie bear is coming."

or for women:

"Look out for the sweetums. Should I hide the num num can?"

Oh great...more CocaCola in my keyboard...just what I needed! Man that stuff burns coming out of your nose!!!! :lol::bad::o:o

Good one, Schmoopy! :o:D:D

Using cute words to label others really says more about the user than the other person.

like pookie bear?

"Watch out. Pookie bear is coming."

or for women:

"Look out for the sweetums. Should I hide the num num can?"

Oh great...more CocaCola in my keyboard...just what I needed! Man that stuff burns coming out of your nose!!!! :lol::bad::o:o

Good one, Schmoopy! :o:D:D

get one of those plastic covers for your keyboard. then you only have to clean off your monitor. :D

lol, this isn't locked yet?

anyways.... i'm for the use of the term geomuggle or muggle. i'm familiar with the harry potter books, and of anyone else who is... it's easy to communicate what a muggle is in geocaching if you already know what a muggle is from harry potter.

Well, if one is muttering things in crowds, I prefer "kneebiting troglodyte" myself. Rolls nicely off the tongue. :lol:

Shibboleths aside, few of us are knee biters. However, there are those among us that develope a taste for the tendens of the knee. They are generally small of stature and have little standing in the community even though a bite to the back of the knee can be quite crippling.

And if you want pun-filled corn,<snip>

Oh, my!! My transient dyslexia made that sound bad enough to get you banned, Jeremy! :bad::o:o

At first glance I thought it said something else, too :lol:

As for the term Muggle... I like it much better than any of the other terms I've heard in use ("alien," "non-cacher," "caching impaired," etc. etc.)

<much snipping>

Well, am I alone here?

nope, you're not alone. i love the potter books. i cringe with embarassment every time somebody uses those words to descrbe geocaching activities. the kind of embarassment where someone who represents your company or family or club shows up at the funeral in a clown suit. or wears an inappropriate t-shirt to a business meeting. or pees in the punchbowl at the picnic.

i sort of feel i have to make apoplogies for aberrant behavior to bystanders, and i never use those words myself. gives me the heebie-jeebies.

<much snipping>

Well, am I alone here?

nope, you're not alone. i love the potter books. i cringe with embarassment every time somebody uses those words to descrbe geocaching activities.

My kids and I love HP and we have no issue with the word. As someone else posted, if everyone on the planet called it something else, we'd still call them muggles.

Kind of like Walkman, iPod, Coke, etc. You can make it something else, but it's always going to be called what we've come to call them it already.

I can't believe this thing has gone 3 pages ... then again I am not helping here :mad: oh well some MacAce poster once said I don't want a forum threads that suck. I want forum threads that rock ;) or something like that. ;);):mad:B)

McGood one, there, ol' Viking McDude! B)B) ya want fries with that? :mad:;)B)

I can't believe this thing has gone 3 pages ... then again I am not helping here  :mad:  oh well some MacAce poster once said I don't want a forum threads that suck. I want forum threads that rock  ;)  or something like that.  ;)  ;)  :mad:  B)

McGood one, there, ol' Viking McDude! B)B) ya want fries with that? :mad:;)B)

depends are the McFries or MacFries and most of all Do They Rock? B)

Edited by Cache Viking

'Muggles' is the perfect term for the general public ignorant of geocaching. I'd thought the term was apt even before I knew that it was common parlance in the community.

As for elitist connotations...hello...are we forgetting that part of the attraction of geocaching is finding things which others walk past every day in ignorance. Are we all going to stop people in their tracks to point out where the goodies are hidden? I don't think so.

Muggles: I hate that word. I vote for something else.

I better hide my cache well, I'd hate for 360 to find it B)

That's right...360 couldn't find my cache until I showed him where it was ;) I guess we should use 360 instead of blind :mad:

Oh, we're talking about ignorant here :mad:

(I'm just funnin' with ya, Jeff B)

Muggles: I hate that word. I vote for something else.

I better hide my cache well, I'd hate for 360 to find it B)

That's right...360 couldn't find my cache until I showed him where it was ;) I guess we should use 360 instead of blind :mad:

Oh, we're talking about ignorant here :mad:

(I'm just funnin' with ya, Jeff B)

PUH-LEEZE! I KNOW you sent your kids out there to jack the cache cuz you knew I was coming to town...you just didn't want me to prove how EASY it was to find it... B)

First of all, it's McDonald's not MacDonald's... geesh.... I thought it was M.C.Web coming at me live from the geo-turntable...
It's McDaniels, not McDonald's These rhymes are Darryl's, those burgers are RONALD'S

Sorry about that. Dang flashbacks.

Can I start calling golf balls "McBalls"?

Beastie Boys?? Sorry bons that's an almost quote from a Run DMC song.

The DMC in their name comes from Darryl McDaniels, one of their lead sing.. uh.. rappers. Oops, almost called him a singer.

'Muggles' is the perfect term for the general public ignorant of geocaching. I'd thought the term was apt even before I knew that it was common parlance in the community.

As for elitist connotations...hello...are we forgetting that part of the attraction of geocaching is finding things which others walk past every day in ignorance. Are we all going to stop people in their tracks to point out where the goodies are hidden? I don't think so.

Good point!

In HP, muggles are those who are not wizards. Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and Dudley are hostile muggles, the parents of Hermione Granger are friendly muggles, but they're all muggles. Attitude has nothing to do with it.

Muggles, as used by us, however, appears to mean the uninitiated: these are the people who are ignorant of geocaching. Attitude has nothing to do with it here either: A cache pirate is not a muggle, because he is initiated. Neither is my wife, who knows what I'm doing.

As far as geocaching goes, the key word is ignorance, not lack of participation.

This said: in HP, the examples I mentioned might be the only muggles who are aware of the wizard world, so maybe the difference is not that big.

Bransnat wrote:

It became a verb (muggled) relatively recently, on Aug 3rd 2003

Which was followed ten days later by the first use of the term "Durseleyed", as in

I had  three DNFs  today. two were I think  "Dursleyed" the  third was  firmly behind a  No Trespassing sign.

The coiner of that term (Bo Peep & The Sheep) later defined it as "deliberately sabotaged by outsiders", which is more than just being muggled.

I like both terms, and if I wasn't so cheap, I'd have already shelled out $18 for this t-shirt.

My spidey-sense is tingling... could this be--sarcasm?

Wait a minute...

You objected to the use of "muggle" because of it's connection to a children's book and marketing, But you're using a word from a popular comic book and movie character? :mad:

Thank you for catching that. I was thinking how ironic.

I'm not opposed to cultural reference, for goodness sakes. I just would rather not impose another meaning onto a word that is already solidly on another path.

I used spidey-sense in close to its normal context (an extra-sensory warning). I didn't apply it to a whole other situation ("My motorcycle has a good spidey-sense for avoiding potholes.")

Nothing ironic about it.

I'm just thinking back to when certain parts of the religious sector seemed to have a huge problem with the Harry Potter books and movies and wanted them banned because they represented dark spirits, witches, wizardry and magic. Maybe a little of that outrage is being carried over into here by some members and that's the reason they don't like the term muggles? Not that it matters now though, the term has been used for so long now that I don't think that there's a chance of changing it. Use it if you like, don't if you don't. I don't think people are going to scorn you for saying muggle. It's just a word. You don't even have to explain to anyone that the name came from a Harry Potter book anyway. You can just say it was made up on the GC.com site.

I'm going to call them McCachers.

They're not as fun as real cachers and no one wants to seem them in their cache. If they do take up geocaching they think leaving a McBall in a cache is trading up and placing a McMicro in a Wal-Mart parking lot is giving back to the community. Eventually they learn to log McFinds from the parking lot instead of looking for the cache and they'll be exchanging TB numbers by e-mail so that they can hold onto their position on the rankings page.

And yes, that was RunDmc earlier. I'm sorry. I must need sleep.

I have to admidt... this is one of the minor things I don't like about reading the forums here. I feel like I'm reading the posts of 9-12 year olds when I read that term.

Stomps

All in all a pretty small complaint.

I have used the term Muggle and Geomuggle but have also used another term from HP. Squib - in HP, Argus Filch is the Hogwarts caretaker who is non-magical but from a wizarding family.

In using the term in reference to Caching - I have a 21 yr old who does not like to cache - If we must bring her with us she prefers to sit in the car while we find the cache - therefore - she is a Geosquib - a non cacher in a Geocaching family!

Has anyone else noticed that the originator of this topic has recently disappeared?

Not so much disappeared as temporarily resumed my real life. Things to do, eating, sleeping and all that, don't you know. :mad:

Sorry about that. Occasionaly, there comes a troll on these forums, makes a few posts flaming mods or the system, then leaves before they can get seriously flamed in return.

Obviously you have some integrity, I like you. But I still don't see why "muggle" is so inappropriate. I mean it's a perfect word to describe it.

But it's also already widely used, and I don't think you could change it...