"muggles?" Come On, People!!

MacViking here. :o Never thought much of where Muggle came from till I read this thread. :bad: Seems to me to be just a word like a good number of other words that I see from time to time on Cache Pages, Logs and these Forums. They are just words that I can use if I choose or not if I do not like them. Like many things in life it is a simple matter of choice. In this case a simple one. Just my MacThoughts on the whole MacThing. :lol::o

No argument here. It's like putting the prefix "Mac" in front of something to connote corporate soullessness (MacHomes, MacJobs, etc.). It's easy, quick, and you get the benefit of the connotations built into the word. However, you also have to accept ALL the connotations of the word, and some of them don't apply so well, thus my (and at least a few others') discomfort with the term.

I will admit to being in a quite small minority, though, from the looks of things on this board.

Wow! A gentleman!

It's very nice to see someone who doesn't fly of the handle when someone disagrees with them. Barnstable, nice to meet you.

But, I feel, for me, the addition of "Mc" or "Mac" to the front of names indicates cheap crap designed only to get the numbers up.

Hmmm....

We may have a new name for throw-away caches.. "McCaches". (Or maybe not so new; I didn't check.)

That might work....

Congratulations, Barnstable, you've just coined a phrase! :lol:

But, I feel, for me, the addition of "Mc" or "Mac" to the front of names indicates cheap crap

Can we please quit calling things bad/cheap just because they have Mc or Mac on the front of them. :lol:

Thanks,

McWeb

But, I feel, for me, the addition of "Mc" or "Mac" to the front of names indicates cheap crap

Can we please quit calling things bad/cheap just because they have Mc or Mac on the front of them. :bad:

Thanks,

McWeb

McWeb may be easy but he ain't cheap. :lol:

Can we please quit calling things bad/cheap just because they have Mc or Mac on the front of them. :lol:

Thanks,

McWeb

Since this connotation derives from some folks' negative attitude toward MacDonalds, and since I happen to like MacDonalds, you will not see me use that form of pejorative.

I happen to have a surname that can be construed to be homonymic to another, rather unsavory thing, so I know from whence you come on this.

By the way, don't accidentally capitalize the C, or people will think you're a rapper.

I hate Harry Potter and anything related to it with almost as much passion as I hate Furby's, Lord of the Rings, Barney the Purple Dinosaur, Beanie Babies, and Teletubbies.......

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but how can you group Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings with any of the other things you listed. That's like saying, "horses, cows, chickens, and Volcanoes." There is no relationship between them.

The relationship to those things is the fact that I hate them. Why must they be related any other way? There are many, many other things I hate also, that are not at all related, so is it wrong to hate anything that isn't related to anything else? I hated my ex-wife when we were related, and I hate her now. I hate it when people don't have a clue about anything and try to put their beliefs on what I say as if their way is correct. And I hate stupid questions, too. :lol:

The relationship to those things is the fact that I hate them. Why must they be related any other way? There are many, many other things I hate also, that are not at all related, so is it wrong to hate anything that isn't related to anything else? I hated my ex-wife when we were related, and I hate her now. I hate it when people don't have a clue about anything and try to put their beliefs on what I say as if their way is correct. And I hate stupid questions, too. :lol:

Point well made, and well taken.

I'm not real fond of the term, but it's here to stay. I find I use it almost unconsciously when talking about caching now.

I've always preferred T0L0 over TNLN, but that's been overruled in usage.

I'm sure we could all work together to think of concepts in geocaching that haven't been named yet.

First of all, it's McDonald's not MacDonald's... geesh.... I thought it was M.C.Web coming at me live from the geo-turntable...

It's not MCWeb, it just may have appeared the both the M and the c were capitalized because I increased their size to draw attention to them, but the c was a lower case c.

McWeb

No argument here. It's like putting the prefix "Mac" in front of something to connote corporate soullessness (MacHomes, MacJobs, etc.). It's easy, quick, and you get the benefit of the connotations built into the word. However, you also have to accept ALL the connotations of the word, and some of them don't apply so well, thus my (and at least a few others') discomfort with the term.

I will admit to being in a quite small minority, though, from the looks of things on this board.

:lol: Huh?

Oh, man... fine: to all the folks out there with Mc or Mac in their names, I'm very very sorry for bringing attention to theunfortune use of these prefixes as shorthand for all things corporate and poorly made.

Oh, man... fine: to all the folks out there with Mc or Mac in their names, I'm very very sorry for bringing attention to theunfortune use of these prefixes as shorthand for all things corporate and poorly made.

I know... I don't take it that serious... like Jeremy said, It's just a game.

It does make me cringe a little, but then I haven't had quite as much exposure to the source material so I am not too affected. I still use it just for convenience. It is a short, sweet label for people who don't geocache....and that is it. I only use it occasionally though, in writing. I don't think I would use it in conversation unless someone else did first.

surprised it took so long for someone to say such... hehehhee

:lol:

First of all, it's McDonald's not MacDonald's... geesh.... I thought it was M.C.Web coming at me live from the geo-turntable...
It's McDaniels, not McDonald's These rhymes are Darryl's, those burgers are RONALD'S

Sorry about that. Dang flashbacks.

Can I start calling golf balls "McBalls"?

Using cute words to label others really says more about the user than the other person.

like pookie bear?

"Watch out. Pookie bear is coming."

or for women:

"Look out for the sweetums. Should I hide the num num can?"

Using cute words to label others really says more about the user than the other person.

What does actually caring if the words are cute or not say about someone?

----------------------

And I agree with Team Flying Dachshund. We need to move on to the bigger issues that threaten Geocaching.

For example, I have no clue how much beer to bring to Sax Man's campout. There has been absolutely no beer co-ordination for this event. And music? Where do I plug in my theremin? How can we have the first Saxaphone/Theremin duet in the history of geocaching if I can't plug-in?

But the beer thing really worries me.

What does actually caring if the words are cute or not say about someone?

----------------------

And I agree with Team Flying Dachshund. We need to move on to the bigger issues that threaten Geocaching.

For example, I have no clue how much beer to bring to Sax Man's campout. There has been absolutely no beer co-ordination for this event. And music? Where do I plug in my theremin? How can we have the first Saxaphone/Theremin duet in the history of geocaching if I can't plug-in?

Oh...was I supposed to bring my sax? I thought I was hosting a campout, not a concert :lol:

I am bringing my own beer. I suppose I could share, but I do get territorial over beer at times! Yes beer coordination is needed! Oh and I'm not sharing beer with muggles either! :lol:

I am bringing my own beer. I suppose I could share, but I do get territorial over beer at times! Yes beer coordination is needed! Oh and I'm not sharing beer with muggles either! :D

:lol: What about MacWhiners? :o:bad::o:o:D