Anyone Want To Guess

xmashl

The marker is a foot away from the witness post and the fence. Perhaps it is actually under the edge of the road now. I wonder if that half lane next to the mailboxes was, at the time they put the marker in, just ground sloping away from the road. That could explain why they put it there and why it is a foot below the road. When they paved the extra half lane, they built up the slope, covering the marker. If you want to try again, my suggestion is to move away from the witness post a bit.

The marker is a foot away from the witness post and the fence. Perhaps it is actually under the edge of the road now. I wonder if that half lane next to the mailboxes was, at the time they put the marker in, just ground sloping away from the road. That could explain why they put it there and why it is a foot below the road. When they paved the extra half lane, they built up the slope, covering the marker. If you want to try again, my suggestion is to move away from the witness post a bit.

The tallus slope just beyond the fence for the lane that they added. It's composed of gravel and dirt, it looks like the layer is about 2-3 feet deep. I'll probably work at it little by little when I pass by it (on bike).

I have seen short witness posts on marks at airports. I assumed that they cut off the top section of a standard post to protect aircraft that may taxi near the mark.

It is possible that the property owner may not have wanted a full length orange post on their property. A cut down post may not have been a problem.

On 4-8-04 I found 2 bm's that were each about 18 inches under the surface. The discription stated them as being under the surface so I decided to go for them. My metal detector just gave some chirps but it was enough to find them. A lot of digging was required to find these two. MY 3795 is in Rutland, Ma. and MY3817 is in Fitchburg, Ma.