Firmware 3.30 For Gpsmap 60c/s Is Out!

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30 - GPSMAP 60c:

* Corrected problems finding items when results contain characters with diacritic marks.

* Corrected a problem on the Geocache Find page where a Find By Name search could potentially highlight a point past the first correct match.

* Corrected an orientation problem on the Turn Preview Page if the route is calculated close to the first turn.

* Corrected problems with the automatic closing feature of the Turn Preview Page when using German or Italian languages.

* Corrected potential problems resulting from automatic closing of the keyboard.

* Corrected potential problem where invalid characters could be entered into a waypoint comment.

* Corrected contour line colors to increase visibility.

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30 - GPSMAP 60cs:

* Corrected problems finding items when results contain characters with diacritic marks.

* Corrected a problem on the Geocache Find page where a Find By Name search could potentially highlight a point past the first correct match.

* Corrected an orientation problem on the Turn Preview Page if the route is calculated close to the first turn.

* Corrected problems with the automatic closing feature of the Turn Preview Page when using German or Italian languages.

* Corrected potential problems resulting from automatic closing of the keyboard.

* Corrected potential problem where invalid characters could be entered into a waypoint comment.

* Corrected potential display problems on the Altimeter Page barometer plot view.

* Corrected contour line colors to increase visibility.

I just tried all the stuff that bug me in the previous version (topo lines, problem s w/ search) and it looks pretty cool. Unfortunately I can't comment on the routing as I don't have any routing-enabled maps other than the basemap itself. I also feel that the unit is redrawing little bit faster.

I received my notice of the new software, and applied it this morning. Have yet to "field test", but under "labratory environment", the upgrade looks GOOD.

The two obvious things - the difficult-to-see contour lines on topo maps, and the bogus search in the "geocaches" list, both appear to be resolved. In response to what color the contour lines are - well, I think that depends on what color scheme you're in. During daylight hours, mine went from a hard to distinguish light-brown to a more visible gray, seemingly "thicker" (from 1px to 2px?) line.

Just some initial thoughts - but so far, so good!

The topo lines on mine with the PREVIOUS version (3.20) seemed like thin dark yellow atop a lighter yellow background during daylight hours -- not good at all, almost invisible. Now they are a medium gray on the same light yellow, much easier to see. I'm not sure if they are any thicker (it seemed like 3.10 used to have thicker, blacker topo lines... I guess Garmin thought they were too prominent), but now they are much more clearly visible and I'm happy with them. In the night color scheme, they've always been pretty visible, even with 3.20. But that doesn't help much, since I don't do much hiking at night.

I haven't had a "system crash" since upgrading to 3.20 versus several crashes before that upgrade, so it seems to me like they've fixed most everything. Wasn't there still some way to make it crash on the altimeter page in 3.20? The upgrade didn't say anything about that fix, though I never saw that crash anyway.

The only things I'd still like to see in a future upgrade are transparent data fields, so you'd get more map out of the relatively little screen and a data field that showed the next turn (L or R) -- I'd be especially happy if the latter wasn't its own field, but was coupled with "time to next," so that it would show the countdown to the next turn followed by an L or R.

Oh, one more thing to ask for in an upgrade -- data fields that automatically turn ON when autorouting and OFF when not autorouting. It's an unnecessary hassle to go through all the button presses to choose "2 data fields" when routing, then go back to "map only" when I'm done routing (to recover that much more of the screen).

I'm pleased with the upgrade. Kudos to Garmin for listening!

Edited by 4x5shooter