Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigredmed

Low Power Gps Receiver

I was interested in the little GPS receiver and low power beacon transmitter that some of the HAM's in town use to chase weather balloons. I was wondering if something like that could be used for a floating geocache.

Build a tiny low power GPS receiver and a low power single frequency beacon that would transmit its position data. Encase that in a floating structure that would be released into a local river.

The geocache would be found by solving a puzzle to get the frequency, then tracking the location in a boat.

Anyone know any schematics for such a GPS receiver?

Cool idea and there are probably a bunch of hams that can help you out. I'd work out the approvability angle before you invested a lot of time in it.

It's too creative and that steps on the toes of firmly entrenched rules er... guidelines.

Cool idea and there are probably a bunch of hams that can help you out. I'd work out the approvability angle before you invested a lot of time in it.

It's too creative and that steps on the toes of firmly entrenched rules er... guidelines.

Yeah, its amazing what is a rule and what is a "guideline". Pretty much if it keeps me from doing something, its a rule. If it keeps GC from doing something, its a guideline.

I know our approver for our area and will be in touch once I get a sense of whether its possible and whether its in my ability to build it.

If you want some help, let me know. I'm looking into the same thing for a fox&hounds type event. Whatever I build won't be listed on the gc.com website but something like that could be a fun local toy.

I think this might not be legal from a FCC standpoint. You, (as the owner of the beacon/transmitter) are the control operator. You must be able to "control" ie. turn it on, turn it off, reset, the transmitter at all times and if you set it free in the river, at some point you will not be able to control it. Just a thought.

Don KF6NSU

I think this might not be legal from a FCC standpoint. You, (as the owner of the beacon/transmitter) are the control operator. You must be able to "control" ie. turn it on, turn it off, reset, the transmitter at all times and if you set it free in the river, at some point you will not be able to control it. Just a thought.

Don KF6NSU

Thanks. That kills that idea.

However a balloon is going to fall out of the sky in a matter of hours. Leaving something that is intended to run for weeks/months and you may not be able to get to it could be a issue. It's something to be looked at.

Personally, I think the bigger issue is how many people would have the equipment to hunt for it? If you had a voice readout, then anyone with a scanner could chase it. APRS is cool, but you'd need a working system to find it. (Well, I guess you could go to a web page to find current location and then try to find it before it moved too far.)