Puzzled Over Silent Cache Approval???

KiltCacher

I recently submitted a cache about five days ago and have eagerly been waiting for it to be approved. I logged on to my stats page this morning to check a log from a previous cache when I noticed that my stats indicated that I had one more hide. I've been checking my email several times a day waiting for the approval note, but haven't received one. Is this a bug or or are approval emails no longer being sent?

Note that there could be a zillion non-geocaching related reasons that you didn't get it. Mail these days is frequently slow (it's beginning to remind me of what the internet was like back in 1988 or so), and subject to auto-filtering and deletion do to viruses and spam (that never happened in 1988 or so though).

I recently submitted a cache about five days ago and have eagerly been waiting for it to be approved. I logged on to my stats page this morning to check a log from a previous cache when I noticed that my stats indicated that I had one more hide. I've been checking my email several times a day waiting for the approval note, but haven't received one. Is this a bug or or are approval emails no longer being sent?

There never really were approval emails. Some approvers if they see no issues with a cache just approve them. Others take some time and write out an approval note "Congratulations on your cache..."

It's personal style. I like the silent approvals myself.

There never really were approval emails. Some approvers if they see no issues with a cache just approve them. Others take some time and write out an approval note "Congratulations on your cache..."

It's personal style. I like the silent approvals myself.

While they're sent by the system and not the approvers, you should automatically get an email nnotification when you create a cache page, and when the cache has been approved.

Note that there could be a zillion non-geocaching related reasons that you didn't get it. Mail these days is frequently slow (it's beginning to remind me of what the internet was like back in 1988 or so), and subject to auto-filtering and deletion do to viruses and spam (that never happened in 1988 or so though).

Or, your email deliveryman may have been bitten by a dog and had to go to the ER. :)

I did receive notification that I submitted a cache for approval, I just never received a conformation email. It appears it was approved this morning. I have had several other caches approved over the past week, and had no problems with them.

Being a retired reviewer(Australian Reviewer) I know how hard those reviewer folk work at keeping the site and the caches ticking over, They do have lives other than geocaching.com, and on the whole it can be a pretty thankless job, you cop a lot of abuse at times for your actions or decisions about cache submissions. I generally was able to punch out reviewed caches within a 24hr period from time of submission, on the odd occasion I was able to surprize the cache-owner by listing their cache within 5 minutes of submission,as long as there were no problems of course, I have a pretty extensive map collection for Australia. On the other hand there were times when work or family commitments just would not allow me the time to review, so it might take up to a week to sift through the list and get the "good submissions" up on the site and work with the cache owners of the"dodgey caches" to get them through the review process.

Having spoken with the rest of the reviewers about the process and their "working lists" of caches, my load was quite light, I averaged 4 caches a day, the most I had reviewed in one day was 21, will all but 5 of those getting on to the site the same day, one was archived a "lame virtual" the rest needed just some form of verification for safety or placement reasons. The US reviewers in particular can have on average 30 "new" caches to be reviewed a day, thats NOT including their "working" list of caches, that may have a problem to be resolved before being listed. Also when a reviewer has to take some "time off" they normally ask if there is another reviewer avaible to take over their area for that time, so that can slow things down too.

And reviewers don't like being called "approvers" , we review the caches for their suitability for being listed on the geocaching.com website, and if they do then they are listed. They also review the cache lists for their areas of operations, just to ensure that all is well and there are not too many inactive caches on the books.

My reasons for stopping? Well family and work should come first, and work has made more demands of my time. I enjoyed my time as a reviewer, abuse and all, maybe at a later stage I might be able to do it again, and to my friends the reviewers, You all do a wonderful job and I for one greatly appreciate it.

Swampgecko, RR*

* Retired Reviewer

You get an email now whenever you submit a cache or your cache is approved. If neither happen, there may be a problem receiving emails from the web site.

Emails do seem to be backed up quite a bit. Several hours ago I posted a log on a cache I already had on my watch list, and still no sign of the email. It's usually almost instantaneous. Maybe the latest worm activity is impeding mail traffic through the net.