Uploading Images to geocaching.com

Guest Steveonne

Guest Steveonne

I like taking pictures with my SLR camera of the cache hunts I go on. I've scannned some images into my computer, but I'm not sure how to upload them to geochaching.com. I tend to scan them into Picture It Express 2.0. Maybe this could be a thread on how to upload images to geocaching.com

Steveonne

It's what we think we know already that often prevents us from learning

Guest chipper

If you save your images as JPG or Gif formats most people should be able to view them. Then just click on the upload button on the webpage and send away.

Guest jeremy

Reduce the size of the photo to around 600 pixels wide, then save it as a jpg. Gifs usually are too large for photos.

You should reduce the picture size to 600 pixels wide anyways, since it's the best viewing size for most folks.

Jeremy

Guest Steveonne

Excellent! Thanks for the tips. I just posted an image of my wife Evenergy from a cahce we found on May 20, "Flying" cache. I'll be picking up a roll of developed film today of our three day Snoqualmie Pass Cache Adventure. I'll be doing posts later on today

Thanks again,

Steveonne

------------------

Guest jeremy

rely on less intuitive ways of doing it. I'll see if I can put together a tutorial on resizing images, or at least some quick tips.

Actually, I guess I'm glad I'm not zing.com - check out their web site lately?

Jeremy

Guest Steveonne

Here is what I did for those who don't have a digital camera but have a scanner.

I placed the 4x6 photo into my HP ScanJet 5200C. Clicked the scan Icon on my desktop. I have it set up to scan to Picture It Express 2.0. by default. Clicked on Settings/Page Size. I highlighted the Set Scaling Percentage and set it to 60%. That made the image about 88k. Clicked OK and Scanned away. When I scannned directly to Picture It Express, the 4x6 photo ended up being 466k.

If I scan directly to Picture It Express without scaling, I can still reduce by: Saving again as a JPEG Import Within Picture It. Go to Options, and click on Custom Size and reduce to 400x600 and make the compression level at about 20. That reduced the 466k image to 68k.

I share this because I really like it when people share the details for me. I learn something new everytime this way. Anyway, I hope this can help someone else out too.

Steveonne

------------------