Rankings

Jeremy -

I love the list you just provided. Seriously. For everyone, it lets you know how you stack up compared to the top finders, without making explicit the leaders.... I would love to see this list updated daily on a page... That way, I know my find count of 1020 is roughly 1/5th of the best finder count. The fact that the top finder is AAAAnderson, BBBBaker, CCCCooper or DDDDonaldson really doesn't matter to me.

So, please provide the top find counts daily just as you have here. :)

-Jif

So far Jeremy has not put together a stats page for Geocaching.com. There used to be a kinda fun one that wasn't associated with GC.com but Dan turned it off while back when he ran out of time/energy (I think that is what I remember). Keenpeople lets you list your own stats, but since it is on the honor system and needs to be kept updated by you every time yours change, it hasn't completely taken off.

Our local area in Montana has the SGPS system by Skydiver for rankings.

So, to (kinda) answer your question, there is no end all, be all stats page for all geocaching and the only way to find stats like you want would be to look up each person one at a time. Good luck!

-Jennifer

Throwing out all accounts with 0 finds...

If you found more than 60 caches, you are in the top 10 percentile of all geocachers on the geocaching.com web site.

If you found more than 263 caches, you are in the top 2 percentile of all geocachers.

If you found more than 419 caches, you are in the top 1 percentile of all geocachers.

If you found more than 60 caches, you are in the top 10 percentile of all geocachers on the geocaching.com web site.

If you found more than 263 caches, you are in the top 2 percentile of all geocachers.

If you found more than 419 caches, you are in the top 1 percentile of all geocachers.

How many of the accounts are "active" that is have recent finds?

Is that worldwide?

Yay! Now that is acutally something I had wondered about for a while. Percentile breakdowns are cool.

I wish there was a page that one could compare finds to in order to find out where one stands compared to other cachers, without being blatently compared for all to see.

I'm sure it would cause controversy. :)

-Jennifer

Now that's a cool stat.

Even if we never have a true stat page with rankings I would love to see a statistics page with percentage breakdowns like this. I now have a goal of being in the top 1%. Numbers don't mean a whole lot to me, but I love them just the same. Just part of being a tech geek I guess. Before they invented Computer Science I probably would have been a statistics major... I probably should have been anyway :)

Your rank out of 4984267 total users is: 282993rd place.

The number of users who have this rank: 256

You have completed more work units than 94.317% of our users.

That's from Seti@home

why not at least do something like that? No names so the people the poo-poo stats wouldn't have anything to howl abour.

While I'm normally anti-stat, that's a statistic I wouldn't mind seeing on the main page.

I was wrong about the stats. I was using total log counts.

If you found more than 54 caches, you are in the top 10 percentile of all geocachers on the geocaching.com web site.

If you found more than 60 caches, you are in the top 9 percentile of all geocachers.

8th Percentile: > 68

7th > 78

6th > 92

5th > 109

4th > 133

3rd > 168

2nd > 230

1st > 369

I support seeing as a pair of automatically computed pieces of info available at all times:

1) That fantastic list Jeremy just created, showing "If you have found... you are in the top..."

2) The idea of seeing on "My Cache Page" the "seti@home" statistic mentioned above.

-Jif

I was wrong about the stats. I was using total log counts.

If you found more than 54 caches, you are in the top 10 percentile of all geocachers on the geocaching.com web site.

If you found more than 60 caches, you are in the top 9 percentile of all geocachers.

8th Percentile: > 68

7th > 78

6th > 92

5th > 109

4th > 133

3rd > 168

2nd > 230

1st > 369

now that's cool to know. :)

#3 is BruceS. He has 3403 listed but as far as I can tell he stopped loggin online with that account back on November 3rd.

Maybe he is lost in the woods looking for a cache. :):):D

Edited by Milbank
I wish people wouldn't abuse that stats image by creating a page like that. It makes me want to shut down that feature.

When I first saw that feature come out, my first impression was-

"Wow, there's a great way to hog GC.com bandwidth and run up the server requests."

At least now I know I'm not alone. :):)

I wish people wouldn't abuse that stats image by creating a page like that. It makes me want to shut down that feature.

That page has to be killing the server with every page load...

I know it sure killed my browser both times I opened it....I wouldn't blame Jeremy a bit for killing that stat service just for that very reason there. :)

Well maybe if GC. Com added a stats page similar to Dan's old page, that wouldn't be an issue. Could be a subscriber only feature. Hmmm, maybe that could provide added incentive for more people to join....and if some people are uncomfortable with their name being displayed, they can opt out and it could say "anonymous" next to their count.

Well maybe if GC. Com added a stats page similar to Dan's old page, that wouldn't be an issue. Could be a subscriber only feature. Hmmm, maybe that could provide added incentive for more people to join....and if some people are uncomfortable with their name being displayed, they can opt out and it could say "anonymous" next to their count.

Actually, that's pretty much what I was thinking, but instead of "opt out" have the default be "anonymous" and just have a find count, no links to a page or anything, just broken down by state. Then have the OPTION to "Opt in" for those of us who aren't afraid of someone knowing how many caches we've found.