Frisbee Rule?

While reading this *ahem* interesting topic thread, someone referred to the "frisbee rule" for testing for cache placement.

Can anyone explain??

If your potential hiding spot is someplace where you shouldn't/couldn't/wouldn't feel comfortable playing frisbee, then it probably isn't a good hiding spot.

Probably not always true, but it might be a good rule of thumb if you aren't sure about a location.

While reading this *ahem* interesting topic thread, someone referred to the "frisbee rule" for testing for cache placement.

Can anyone explain??

I believe that was coined by BrianSnat. I goes something like:

If you wouldn't ask permission to play frisbee there, you shouldn't feel the need to ask permission to hide a cache there.

It's nothing "official" here on the site, it's just a test many people use when hiding a cache.

Edited by Mopar
Looks like the rule needs a ruling.  Cheese's and Mopar's versions are a bit different.

Well, it took some digging, but it seems like the first person to use the frisbee analogy was Brokenwing (you youngun's probably don't remember him, but he was pretty influential way back when) in this thread from 2yrs ago:

As far as just telling the land manager about geocaching but not specifically asking for permission to hide a cache, I don't think if the park remains "silent" that implies approval.  It's one step better than saying nothing, but I don't think you'll convince the park officials after the fact that they "approved" your placing the cache because they didn't answer your letter.  It's too slippery and might tick them off more than if you said nothing and just did it and hoped it fits into their guidelines. 

I disagree.  Do you ask for permission before you throw a frisbee in a park?  Of course not.  As you originally postulated, if it's not a banned activity, then we have every right to geocache in a park.  What I'm saying is the whole concept of "asking for permission" is flawed. 

Since there is nothing that currently says that I HAVE to ask for permission anywhere, I feel that I have satisfied my legal requirement by simply letting them know that I intend to use their park for geocaching.  From a legal standpoint, why would I have to get specific permission?  My goal is not necessarily to "get permission" but just to ensure they are OK with caching in the park.

I know that's a subtle difference, but I think it's an important one.  To me, we need to place the onus on them to specifically prevent us from caching if that is the outcome they want.  Otherwise, I'm going to assume, just like in my frisbee analogy, that geocaching is OK. 

If they can't be bothered to respond, then I think it's appropriate for me to assume they were OK with such use.  In some cases, we have gotten responses and these people had certain requirements they wanted us to meet.  For example, on one ACE lake, the manager wanted a permit issued.  On another, they didn't care about that, but wanted cachers to stop by the fee station so they would know folks were hunting the cache.  All that is fine with me.  As long as they let us use the park, I'm willing to abide by any reasonable request.  If they don't respond, they must not think it's an issue worth worrying about. 

Frankly, if I were a smart land manager, I'd probably allow geocaching, but would never go on record as saying so.  The smart position may just be one of silence.  This way, if there were some problems later, they could easily divorce themselves from it.  I'm not going to bang my head against a wall trying to get such people to commit one way or another

Scott / Brokenwing

Edited by Mopar