Does Anyone Else Think The 60cs Compass Stinks?

Hi -

Does anyone else with experience with both a Vista and a 60CS compass find that the 60CS compass performs far worse than its Vista cousin? The Vista compass would lock onto a "place to point to" and would very closely tie itself to that point. The 60CS seems "mushy" - it seems to wander as to what it is "pointing to" To clarify: Usually, with my Vista, the compass would "lock into" an idea as to what it was pointing to. And then, it would behave as if the arrow of the compass needle was attached by a rubber band to the target location. You could turn, walk around the "target location" in a circle, and see that arrow just stay "locked in" - pointing to that point, again, as if a rubber band were attached from the arrow tip of the compass needle to the target location. The 60CS needle seems to bounce around, pointing this way and that frequently, so I never get a sense that I am 'locked into a target'.

Further, the 60CS seems to demand a levelling of the GPSr that is not required by the Vista. I rarely do *not* get the "Hold Level" warning.

In conclusion, the electronic compass in the 60CS is a disappointment compared to the Vista, and, for me, is a black eye to an otherwise fine product.

Do others have these problems with the 60CS compass?

-Jif

Edited by TeamJiffy
The 60CS needle seems to bounce around, pointing this way and that frequently, so I never get a sense that I am 'locked into a target'.

My compass on the 60CS does the same TeamJiffy. :)

I long for my Magellan compass that is relatively stable and shows the location of the sun which is good when I am turning around and around and getting lost. No holding it level either. I'm not level headed and neither is my hand.

I'm beginning to question my sanity of the extra $$ for the compass. There must be a fix for this ?

Mine works fine, but you need to remember if you stand still the gps doesn't kow what direction you're pointing, that's with all gps's.

No. An electronic compass is supposed to point "north" correctly in all situations - even when standing still. That's the primary difference between the 60 and the 60CS.

I am wondering if my 60CS is defective, as has been suggested. Just walking in a straight line, without pointing at a cache, I see the compass rose move around... it's not just confused about a cache location vs. where I am... it is confused about the direction of "north" at any given moment...

Do any others see this?

-Jif

Nobody has addressed this yet, so I will.....

You DO need to re-calibrate the compass EVERY time you change batteries.

I have been using the Navigation Screen when doing a goto for a cache (not the e-compass), and have not had any problems unless I get under thick tree cover which blocks the sats.

I have been using the Navigation Screen when doing a goto for a cache (not the e-compass), and have not had any problems unless I get under thick tree cover which blocks the sats.

Ugh, that's everyday!

Your right! I was having problems with my 60CS also. The pointer was jumping all over the place. I emailed Garmin, here is the reply:

There is no set times when you should re-calibrate. I would recommend it whenever you change batteries or if the unit is giving strange readings or whenever you start an important trip.

I recalibrated the compass, and it took me right to the cache I could not find two days ago, because the pointer would not settle down. I'm going to follow Garmin's advise. The only thing I don't quite understand is why you have to calibrate the compass, even when you are not using it. I normally don't turn on the compass when I head for a cache. But the calibrating worked :)

Arrrgg... forced to read the manual but I sure learned a few things.

Page 18:

There are 2 compass settings. "Course Pointer" or "Bearing Pointer" (default). You want 'Bearing Pointer' for caching.

One of my data fields was set wrong - that might have mixed things up.

Page 37:

When you navigate to a geocache, the Compass Page changes to "Geocache Navigation" mode ... but I assume that's just the display.

There are 2 compass settings. "Course Pointer" or "Bearing Pointer" (default). You want 'Bearing Pointer' for caching.

Ah, that might explain the strange things I experienced today on a multi-cache. My pointer was all over the place and wasn't even a straight line as I approached my waypoints (entered by hand and didn't use the geocaching symbol). I ended up changing one of the data fields to pointer and used that one (which was different than the big one). I'll have to try switching it to Bearing Pointer next time.

No, my problem is not forgetting to calibrate the compass. Actually, if you fail to calibrate on the Vista, you would get an incorrect pointer, but it still would be steady and consistent in its incorrectness - it would not wander like my 60CS does.

The suggestion of the manual to calibrate whenever you get odd readings is somewhat annoying. The Vista only needed recalibration when changing batteries.

The only good way for me to resolve this is to find someone (or some store willing to demo outside) a second 60CS and compare them side-by-side after calibration.

-Jif

I think the compass works just fine. It took me awhile to figure out that it works best at about a 25 or 30 degree angle - NOT FLAT. This also helps to retain the best antenna position at the same time. Whether using the compass or not, keeping the unit relatively steady by reducing arm and hand flailing, makes an immense difference.