Does The Word Cito Mean Anything In Your Language?

Do you remember the poorly named car: Chevrolet Nova? it did not sell well in Spanish-speaking countries since "no va" means "It doesn't go."

I have often wondered if the word CITO (we pronounce it as "see-toe" in most parts of the US) means something in some other language. Does it? Anyone know?

Secondarily, how do you pronounce "CITO" in your local area?

It doesn't mean anything per se in Finnish. I've heard it pronounced SITO, (basically like see-toe, but with short e-vowel and no u-vowel at the end).

In Finnish, it is close to words sitoa (infinitive of bind, tie) or sido (imperative of bind, tie), but only close.

Another languages and examples that have CITO-ish words:

- Spanish - citologia: smear test (test for cancer of the womb)

- Italian - citofono: intercom (device for speaking to people over a short distance)

- Slovak - citoslovce: interjection (like Oh dear! Ouch! Aye carumba! Perkele!)

- Slovak - citovat': quote

- Slovak - citovo: sentimentally, soulfully (adverb)

- Slovak - citový: emotional, soulful, sentimental (adjective)

- French - citoyen, citoyenne: citizen

- French - citoyenneté: citizenship

- Polish - sito: sieve

- Polish - sitowie: bulrush, rush (the water plant)

Do you remember the poorly named car: Chevrolet Nova? it did not sell well in Spanish-speaking countries since "no va" means "It doesn't go."

I have often wondered if the word CITO (we pronounce it as "see-toe" in most parts of the US) means something in some other language. Does it? Anyone know?

I am spanish, "Nova" is a very short word to recognize as "no va".

The worst car name I listened for spanish speaking is Mitsubishi Pajero that means "masturb..."

My boss bought this car before it was renamed to Montero, nobody here knows that Montero is actually a "Pajero" therefore people laugh at him when they see my boss to park.

The worst car name I listened for spanish speaking is Mitsubishi Pajero that means "masturb..."

My boss bought this car before it was renamed to Montero, nobody here knows that Montero is actually a "Pajero" therefore people laugh at him when they see my boss to park.

:):D:)

Back in the 80's were it popular here in Sweden to wear clothes with the label "Poco Loco" printed all over the clothes :lol:

CITO... Hummm... We are gonna have our first CITO event on monday ever in Sweden, and I think that no one really cares about CITO. We pay a lot of tax, therefor should the trash be picked up by the government/city - I think that is a common opinion.

I think the word would be said as "SIITO", and it doesn't have any meaning at all.

Doing a google image search you will find a lot of pics of dogs named CITO.

my dogs name is Cedo...now I just figured out i'm not the only idiot with a dumb dog name...

as for CITO...for some reason I always think of CITGO ?? I'm not sure why I just do

I heard of a Mazda once that was an MR-2. Didn't sell well in France. <_< If you know french, sound out M-R-2. If not... trust me, it's not great.

Here it's See-toe or Sigh-toe. Just like there's me-go and my-go.

CITO... Hummm... We are gonna have our first CITO event on monday ever in Sweden, and I think that no one really cares about CITO. We pay a lot of tax, therefor should the trash be picked up by the government/city - I think that is a common opinion.

Sorry Hedberg, but I have to contradict you in this matter. Whether or not our Swedish taxes are high is debatable, some think you actually get what you pay for.

But I'm know for sure it's *not* a common opinion in Sweden that trash should be "picked up by the government". The common opinion is, in Sweden as well as in any other country, that people should take their trash with them so no one has to pick it up for them. And as in all other countries there are a few who don't give a dadgum whether the government or anybody else has to do it for them.

I practise CITO (pronounced seeto here, short second syllable, no meaning as Hedberg mentioned) whenever I cache, not by bringing large sacks and methodically filling them, but by taking a few things with me in a little plastic bag, thinking it will make a difference if all cachers and outdoor people do the same.

But I'm know for sure it's *not* a common opinion in Sweden that trash should be "picked up by the government". The common opinion is, in Sweden as well as in any other country, that people should take their trash with them so no one has to pick it up for them. And as in all other countries there are a few who don't give a dadgum whether the government or anybody else has to do it for them.

I agree on this and think things are about the same on this other high-tax country next to yours, Finland. The park cleaners, typically hired by the city, take care of most the urban park areas, but the government surely doesn't systematically clean up more rural places, forests and such. So it's up to those who visit there to pick up their own, and hopefully some other trash as well. I do that when caching, and I hope others would as well.

Pronounced See-Toe 'round here.

a bit OT, the bit about the nova isn;t entirely true. Yes, Chevy released the Nova in Spanish Speaking countries. No, they didn't think it didn't go.

To further expand your brain like a sponge, visit Snopes.com, the Urban legend debunking page to read more about this little rumor.

In the Spanish Language, the root "cito-" is the translated form of the root "cyto-" in English.. both referring to something related to human cells.

CITOLOGIA is the word in Spanish for:

CYTOLOGY - the branch of biology that deals with the structure, function, multiplication, pathology and life history of cells.