Sw Washington - Please Help Gifford Tb Get Dry

yaquina

Anyone planning a geocaching trip in the southern Gifford Pinchot National Forest north of Carson, Washington? If so I'd like to encourage you to visit the "Big Lava Bed" to dry out a travel bug I just started there (Big Lava Bed).

As I was taking a photo of this TB it started to pour, and he got kind of wet. We didn't have a way to dry him off before placing him in the cache (we were soaked ourselves).

The Big Lava Bed is a fascinating area, which is just melting out of the snow. Road 60 is currently blocked by snow just north of the Big Lava Bed cache. You will need to drive from the south/west side of the Lava Bed and just stop when you get to the large area of snow on the road (see May 4 log for coords). There is another small patch of snow on the way, which is passable for any vehicle with normal ground clearance.

If you're adventurous and have time, you should also be able to also reach "Lava Bed II" (1.4 miles from Big Lava Bed). Note however that the terrain on the Lava Bed itself is 4.5 stars - adding a layer of intermittent mounds of snow pushes it up to about 7.0. So it would be smartest to hike on the snow-covered road as much as possible.

On the way up/down you will also go by "Spectacular", which I believe is close to the road, so you could make it a 3-cache trip, and pick up two travel bugs (Gifford in Big Lava Bed, and Froggy in Lava Bed II). Also gain the honor of the being the first visitor to Lava Bed II as it emerges from the winter snow (last log Sept. 28, 2003).

We tried a month ago to do a caching loop clear around Big Lava Bed, and got turned back by snow on both its east and west sides. We will be returning as soon as we can, but not until we know we can make it all the way around the Lava Bed without being stopped by snow; that might not be until June(?). If anyone else makes it out there and the snow is gone (or mostly gone) please let us know. Alternatively, is there a website where it is possible to check on Forest Road conditions? This is an incredible area, and we can't wait to go back! BTW, Spectacular is not to be missed!

Navdog, you have ALL the links! Thanks, I bookmarked this one too! Tonight we are in "our" Jacuzzi room in Redmond logging finds via the in-room DSL. Tomorrow we plan on finding Squaw Creek in addition to several others.

Jacuzzi room? I thought you guys were going CAMPING!