Geocaching Magazine

Has anyone ever thought about or discussed creating and publishing a Geocaching magazine? Does one already exist and I just can't find it? I think it would be interesting to have a mag that could handle GPS reviews and other geocaching related product testing as well as geocaching specific features. There are mags that review this type of equipment but it isn't applied to geocaching. It would help, I think, to have a geocaching specific magazine sitting on the news stand. It would be a good way to introduce even more people to this very cool game. What do you all think?

I would hope that we could welcome a three-day newcomer to our sport by answering a question with something a bit more friendly than "too late bucko."

Yes, Today's Cacher is a great new online resource that's just recently become available. As for a print magazine, in past discussions it's been noted that there might not be enough readership (that is, subscription dollars) out there to support the associated overhead costs. But in the future, who knows?

Cool! Thanks everyone. I figured there was probably an e-zine out there somewhere but I was unable to find it with a search engine. Thanks for the link. I had the same thought about enough cash flow to support a mag. Then again, there are people playing this game all around the world. Maybe after its had a chance to grow a bit more it will be feasible. It is easier for me to carry a magazine to work then my computer that's the main reason I was thinking in the hard copy realm. :ph34r:

P.S.-Don't worry about the "too late bucko" comment. I have been a noob on enough forum boards that I am not easily bothered by getting flamed. All part of the learning.

Edited by Maverick Mike

There have been some publishers at least looking at the possibilities, but I suspect that at least the problem would be the advertising base. The GPSr manufacturers cannot spend enough to pay for the magazine, and while I think there are many other natural fits (outdoor activity companies), they are largely still unaware of geocaching.

P.S.-Don't worry about the "too late bucko" comment. I have been a noob on enough forum boards that I am not easily bothered by getting flamed. All part of the learning.

But it really wasn't meant to be a flame, I was just joking around..

But anyway yah, a Geocaching magazine would be to big of a thing unless maybe an outdoor magazine were to do an annual geocaching issue or something...

Edited by TeamK-9
Hey,where's the recipe for Planet's wraps? The link takes me to an article from last month's issue.

This was probably due to your cache...your browser cache that is. Because we name the pages the same from month to month your browser probably pulled up your locally stored version of the page, instead of the new one.

You probably already figured out that just hitting your refresh button fixes the problem.

There have been some publishers at least looking at the possibilities, but I suspect that at least the problem would be the advertising base. The GPSr manufacturers cannot spend enough to pay for the magazine, and while I think there are many other natural fits (outdoor activity companies), they are largely still unaware of geocaching.

I think you're right. I work in the publishing industry, and advertising is everything. The magazine I work for right now (Windows & .NET Magazine) is a paid book, but we still needs lots of ads to make money. With the tech slump of the last few years, we've really suffered. All the trade magazines have. Tech companies just don't have the money for advertising right now. I've worked on the other side, too--marcom, where I started out at the beginning of the year with a nice fat budget for advertising, sales literature, etc., and within six months half of it was slashed. :unsure:

The first magazine I worked for after college was GIS WORLD Magazine. (That's where I first learned about GPS 15 years ago. I got to write really fun articles about a topic very few people knew about.) GIS WORLD was a start up when I began working there. We started publishing at just the right time; a year later and it would have been too late. Timing is everything in this business. And one thing I've learned in this business in the past few years is that print publishing is evolving. You have to have a lot of other businesses to support your print publications. We do everything--electronic newsletters, huge web site, roadshow seminars, web seminars, eBooks... Even then, it's been tough the past three years. It would take a lot of guts to start a new magazine right now.

Nevertheless I'd LOVE to work for a geocaching magazine, so if anybody can get the start-up capital together and line up some subscribers and advertisers, let me know!!! I have an impressive resume. :o

OT - Halden, why do you have 42 in your sig line?

If I were to guess, it's because 42 is the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything.

But that's just a guess.

Hey - in an attempt to keep this post on topic, I just thought of a fun story for Today's Cacher!

Edited by MissJenn