A New Geocaching Milestone

I have surmised that the red envelope status for a forum topic is based on fifty or more responses. My goal is to have a red envelope to my credit.

I have heard of all types of milestones and there have been some forum topics to that effect. The most straightforward is simply the number of caches found. The next (at least in the forums) seems to be number of forum posts. FTF's are also high on the list of personal goals. Number of caches in a certain difficulty/terrain rating is another.

As stated, the purpose of this topic is to get me a red envelope (and perhaps then see how high it can go). If nothing else, you can post a "+1" to add to the response total. If you need something to actually post about, please rate the value of the following milestones from one to ten. After the envelope has turned red, I will review the results and post the results of the poll. If you participate in the poll, please rate EACH of the options so that particular ones don't get unevenly weighted.

A) Number of caches found

B ) Number of forum posts

C) Number of FTF's

D) Number of caches in a certain difficulty/terrain rating

E) Number of Travel Bugs found

F) Number of Hides

There ya go!

You can rate them in the following format (simply an example)

A) 5

B ) 3

C) 7

D) 5

etcetera

Let's get the response numbers HOPPIN!

EDIT :ph34r: to B ) with the space. Without the space it kept showing up as a smiley.

Edited by Toron
Um..it not about the stats :ph34r:

It is if we want it to be.

Most people use stats for personal goals - not to rate ourselves against other people.

A) Number of caches found - 11

B ) Number of forum posts - Check under my avatar...

C) Number of FTF's - 0

D) Number of caches in a certain difficulty/terrain rating - I have three that are 1.5/1.5

E) Number of Travel Bugs found - 0

F) Number of Hides - 1

Assuming 1 is the lowest and 10 the highest

A) Number of caches found - 1

B ) Number of forum posts - negative 1,000,000

C) Number of FTF's - 1

D) Number of caches in a certain difficulty/terrain rating - 1

E) Number of Travel Bugs found - 1

F) Number of Hides - 3 ( you need hides for geocaching)

G) Amount of fun experienced - 10

Edited by briansnat
Um..it not about the stats  :ph34r:

It is if we want it to be.

Most people use stats for personal goals - not to rate ourselves against other people.

A) Number of caches found - 11

B ) Number of forum posts - Check under my avatar...

C) Number of FTF's - 0

D) Number of caches in a certain difficulty/terrain rating - I have three that are 1.5/1.5

E) Number of Travel Bugs found - 0

F) Number of Hides - 1

yo Fly! Thanks for your participation. If you want your response to be included in the final tally, however, I need you to rate the categories 1-10 in terms of their importance to you. (not put your personal numbers in) Just a heads up. In the greater scheme of things... it's still another post toward my goal WHOO HOO!

However, here is some advice for you. Post something with a completely innocent spelling typo that forms a very rude word and you will have EVERYONE and their GRANDMOTHERS and their NEIGHBOURS posting to laugh at you and to tell you what you did. You could end up with a whole pack of red envelopes!

Just be sure it is a GENUINE typo like mine (really) was..... (see what it says under my avitar and think about it if you don't know what I am talking about)

Per a reasonable and very politelyconveyed request by a moderator, I will voluntarily close this thread when it has reached fifty responses.

However, this means that if you want to participate in the poll, you gotta act now! For the margin of error to be reasonably reduced, it needs at least 10 responses. Right now there are I think three that are usable (remember, 1-10, one being lowest---NOT personal stat numbers, but personal ratings of a category's value to you)

I do think the results of the poll could be interesting.

In the mean time, here's one more toward fifty! :ph34r:

example of rating:

A) 6

B ) 4

C) 1

D) 7

E) 2

F) 4

see the original post to see what the letters represent.

Complimenting the moderators is always a good way to keep your topic open. :ph34r:

And just for those kind words, I'll add my answers, which represent my personal opinion and should not be construed as any sort of official thingy:

A) Number of caches found 9

B ) Number of forum posts 1

C) Number of FTF's 4

D) Number of caches in a certain difficulty/terrain rating 7

E) Number of Travel Bugs found 3

F) Number of Hides 8

A) Number of caches found 10

B ) Number of forum posts 1

C) Number of FTF's 2

D) Number of caches in a certain difficulty/terrain rating 2

E) Number of Travel Bugs found 2

F) Number of Hides 2

A) I hid a cache dedicated to Century finds (100th find, 200th find, 800th find, etc) because I do care about the stats and I think it's fun to celebrate a milestone. My cache find numbers might not impress a lot of people, but that doesn't matter to me. When I say I care about the stats I mean I care about watching mine grow and comparing myself to others that I know (my brother, local cachers, etc). I don't care at all what other people think about my numbers, but I'm glad they're there so i can see them.

B ) I realized I'd hit 100 posts a few weeks ago, and started a thread about it. But that was just because it was fun, not because my post count is important.

C) FTF counts would be more important if they could be viewed as easy as other stats. Comparing numbers to other cachers is fun, but it's not worth going through all the logs of a person to try and estimate the number of FTFs they have.

D) As long as I get a good spread of difficulty ratings I'm happy. I won't choose one over another based on the rating. It's more important to me to get as many as I can that are close by. Someday I hope that I can clear out all the caches within 50 miles of my house. Living near cache infested Atlanta will make that a long list.

E) Now that travel bugs are off the top of My Cache Page I'm picking them up again. I stopped when I realized what was happening.

F) It's not the number of hides I'm interested in, but the quality of them. I like placing caches that I'd enjoy finding. Puzzles, neat hides, original ideas, etc.

Having started several "red envelope" threads - I was actually hoping to one day start a thread that would go 5 pages, with thousands of replies - that didn't get locked (think "Dear Mr. Irish").

I didn't realize I would reach another milestone that is FAR less common than "red envelopes" - let me know when your topic gets "pinned".

:ph34r:

southdeltan

A) Number of caches found - 10

B ) Number of forum posts - 1

C) Number of FTF's - 1

D) Number of caches in a certain difficulty/terrain rating - 1

E) Number of Travel Bugs found - 2

F) Number of Hides - 5

caching with Spark - 10

quality cache finds - 10

great birding at cache site - 10

any desert cache - 10

trashy cache sites - o.k. with me but Spark hates em.

night caching - 10

17 finds in a day - 10

1 find in a day - 10

caching friends to email with - 10

swampy, overgrown or poison oak infested caches with steep trials - 10

complaining about stats - 1

stats posted on profile page and logs - 10

overnight stay for caching - 10

finders happy with our cache placements - 10

etc...

A) Number of caches found : 4

B ) Number of forum posts : 2

C) Number of FTF's : 5

D) Number of caches in a certain difficulty/terrain rating : 8

E) Number of Travel Bugs found : 7 (But only if you help the bug with its mission, not just move it from cache to cache!)

F) Number of Hides: 10 (But only if they are high quality hides!)

Best of luck on your red envelope quest.

A) Number of caches found - 10

B ) Number of forum posts - 1

C) Number of FTF's - 1

D) Number of caches in a certain difficulty/terrain rating - 8

E) Number of Travel Bugs found - 1

F) Number of Hides - 10

Edit: I took the space out of B without thinking

Edited by blazerfan
You forgot the important stats:

Number of posts you have replied to: 2325 (I average 3 replies per topic)

Number of your own posts that have had at least 50 replies: 20

Hmmmm.... I thought smurfs had small heads...

Here are my "stats."

A) Number of caches found: 26

B ) Number of forum posts: 143

C) Number of FTF's: 1

D) Number of caches in a certain difficulty/terrain rating: 2

E) Number of Travel Bugs found: 7

F) Number of Hides: 1

A) Number of caches found 8

B ) Number of forum posts 2

C) Number of FTF's 4

D) Number of caches in a certain difficulty/terrain rating 3

E) Number of Travel Bugs found 2

F) Number of Hides 5

Getting away from the forum to actually GO caching... Priceless.

A) Number of caches found- 9

B ) Number of forum posts- 3

C) Number of FTF's- 5

D) Number of caches in a certain difficulty/terrain rating- 6

E) Number of Travel Bugs found-0

F) Number of Hides- 4

I have to wonder how many folks are waiting for # 50 to get a norm.

-Jennifer

Number of caches found: 254

Number of locationless caches I've done, both for fun as well as to boost my stats (even tho stats don't really matter): 67

Number of caches I've placed: 16

Number of caches I've placed that I intended to have as a 2/2 cache which a fellow cacher did at night approaching from the totally opposite direction which amounted to a fantastic cache log and some pictures of cut and scraped legs: 1

Number of caches my W.A.G. spouse has found with me: maybe 5

Days that I've ditched yardwork to go caching: umm, I guess about 30

Number of Night Hunts: 13

Number of night hunts for the purpose of obtaining a FTF: 4

Number of FTF: 10

Number of Forum Posts: this makes 4