Gpsmap60cs New User Questions

I have been trying to get a Garmin GPSMap60CS for about 3 weeks now. I have ordered at 3 places and cancelled at two due to the shipping delays. Finally found a place that had one in stock and it should be on its way to me now (fingers crossed).

So, I lurked and searched a bit and found answers to most or part of the questions I have before my unit gets here; just a few things I couldn't completely clear up:

1. Does the screen switch portrait to landscape?

2. Does the compass work with the unit held upright? I have read that many were not happy with another model that had to have the unit held flat for the compass to work, is it the same with this one?

3. I have a copy of MetroGuide 5. From what I can get off of other threads, the maps will work, but I will not be able to do autorouting, is this correct? Will the maps work at all? Does roadlock work? Put simply, I want the unit to track me properly on the maps roads. I am not too worried about being able to punch in an address and having it prompt me there.

4. Will the data cable I have to connect my GPS-III to my Palm work with the GPSMap60CS?

5. Is there any nice case for it. Garmin only offers the same case that I have for my GPS-III. GPSGeek doesn't offer a case for it and a search on the board wasn't too fruitful.

Cheers,

Sgt D

I have been trying to get a Garmin GPSMap60CS for about 3 weeks now. I have ordered at 3 places and cancelled at two due to the shipping delays. Finally found a place that had one in stock and it should be on its way to me now (fingers crossed).

So, I lurked and searched a bit and found answers to most or part of the questions I have before my unit gets here; just a few things I couldn't completely clear up:

1. Does the screen switch portrait to landscape?

2. Does the compass work with the unit held upright? I have read that many were not happy with another model that had to have the unit held flat for the compass to work, is it the same with this one?

3. I have a copy of MetroGuide 5. From what I can get off of other threads, the maps will work, but I will not be able to do autorouting, is this correct? Will the maps work at all? Does roadlock work? Put simply, I want the unit to track me properly on the maps roads. I am not too worried about being able to punch in an address and having it prompt me there.

4. Will the data cable I have to connect my GPS-III to my Palm work with the GPSMap60CS?

5. Is there any nice case for it. Garmin only offers the same case that I have for my GPS-III. GPSGeek doesn't offer a case for it and a search on the board wasn't too fruitful.

Cheers,

Sgt D

Question 1. No the screen doesn't switch to landscape

Question 2. The unit has to be held level for the compass to work. This hasn't been a problem for me as this is how I hold it while navigating anyway. Also according to the Garmin engineer the antenna is directional radially. This means that the strongest signal is coming from directly overhead when the unit is held flat.

Question 3. Don't know the answer to this.

Question 4. If the III has the round connector with four contacts the cable should work.

Question 5. Don't know the answer to this one either. Hey I can't know everything. :mad:

You will be able to upload MG5 maps to the 60 series, and you can see the streets, search for addresses and POIs. It will indeed work for showing your tracks and position on the streets. The maps are quite accurate too.

But the routing does not work properly at all. As MetroGuide 5 is able to autoroute on the PC, you're supposed to be able to upload those routes to your GPSr. Indeed this does work on eTrex mapping GPSrs and eMaps. But if you try to upload a route from the PC to the 60, the route will NOT follow the roads - you get a straight line! If you try to use the 60's autorouting to recalculate the route, it'll only use the basemap and use only the main roads. So, basically, MetroGuide 5's routing does not work for the 60 series

CLICK HERE to view the entire thread on this subject.

Auto-routing is great onthe 60C(S). If you take a detour it'll recalculate in about a second. Very fast. I'd recommend getting the auto-kit, it comes with auto mounts plus a power adapter for the cigarette lighter and City Select 5 with Full all region unlocked.

Question 2. The unit has to be held level for the compass to work. This hasn't been a problem for me as this is how I hold it while navigating anyway. Also according to the Garmin engineer the antenna is directional radially. This means that the strongest signal is coming from directly overhead when the unit is held flat.

I think they're giving you a load of bull there at Garmin Central IRT the antenna. (And while I've been happy with Garmin's customer service, the bull-line is nothing new.) They know what's wrong with this whole antenna/eCompass thing and they're over-compensating for their lack of planning (why not create a 3-axis eCompass like Magellan has done?)

"Yeah, it works BEST when held flat!"

What?

Now, mind you, I haven't actually studied this in depth, but it sure seems that my accuracy/lock/all the important stuff is less than stellar when the 60 is held any way other than upright.

Since they couldn't be bothered to work on a compass that works when the unit is held upright, Garmin should have put a muti-directional antenna on the unit like the V has then this would be a non-issue - you'd have your quad-helix antenna pointing straight up and could still hold your gps flat to use the compass while getting good sat information. Course it would have made it bigger/clunkier and all that yadda, but hey...

Yes, I'm quite happy with my 60, I just wish Garmin were a little more honest.

-=-

michelle

I think they're giving you a load of bull there at Garmin Central IRT the antenna.

Yes, it is a bit of a conundrum that the GPS works best upright but the compass only works horizontal. Remeber that you can buy an external antenna from GPSGeeks for a $score and get everything oriented optimally.

Wow, thanks for all the great info. I would have gotten back sooner to say thanks, but I am in the middle of PCS'ing back to the US from the UK. Taking the family back to the US after 12 years overseas isn't exactly a simple deal, so I have been away a bit taking care of things.

Glad to see all the info. As for a case, I found a SporTrak Case at the BX that seems to fit the 60CS pretty well. Not sure I am going to keep it as it does say Magellan all over it, but for now it works pretty well. Actually bought two cases to try out, the other one is a magazine case for the butt of your gun. The 60CS fits perfectly, but I am not sure about all the straps on the back. We will see if it straps on to my RuckSack and decide which one to keep. The cell phone shop didn't have anything big enough.

I am going to try out some maps and see what they look like, but I can't really test them until I am back on good ole US soil.

I am debating the software upgrade. Mine came with v3.00, and I see that 3.30 is out. I have posted another thread asking about if that is safe to do or not.

Not worried at all about the landscape screen, this thing is GORGEOUS!

Haven't turned the compass on yet, so that isn't a big deal for me. My last unit didn't even have a compass? GPS-III, I am not sure if it did or didn't.

I don't have the PDA data cable with me to test, but it seems as though it is the same connector as on my GPS-III, so I am excited that it seems that it will work.

GPS-III for sale....any takers? Suggested price?

Cheers, maybe I will try for my first cache this weekend with the kids.

Thanks, this board is great.

Sgt D