Archived Caches

This morning I called Brian Davis, His title will be apparent when you read the rest of this. I asked about any boundary disputes between the San Juan & Rio Grande. It just so happens that he has a place just down the road from my home. He indicated that he would check into any disputes with his counterpart at Rio Grande. I received this email this afternoon.

Dear Mr Doda,

After our conversation, I did speak with Mike Hettle, Forest Surveyor for

the Rio Grande, and the only issues he is working concerning boundary

issues are dealing with small tracts act parcels. Additionally, there have

been some complaints in the area of the Elk Creek Campground but that was

dealing with people trespassing private land to get the river. There were

some cabin site trespass issues just west of the Haberliein's old property

(Conejos Ranch) that were just south of 17. Mike said he is working on the

last one of those sites. He said that there are some probable cabin site

trespass issues around Mink Haven which is closer to Horcha but there is

nothing concerning the boundaries of our two forests. Mike can be reached

via email (mhettle@fs.fed.us) or by phone at 719-852-6215. If you have any

further questions, my contact information is listed below. Regards, BWD

Brian W. Davis

Assistant Center Manager Physical Resources

San Juan Public Lands Center

15 Burnett Court

Durango Colorado 81301

Post edited by moderator to remove Mr. Davis' e-mail address and home, work and cellphone numbers.

:)

We are very close to having this solved. when it is then the cache in question can be approved. Its just a matter of waiting.

And still it goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on............ :)

And that is why I said written permission. It forces someone to make a commitment and gives the cache owner some backup.

So is written permission now a requirement for caches in national forests, or only for Rio Grande NF?

No, not in all. It *is* a requirement in a very few areas. No, I don't know them all. I do know where it is a rule in the areas that I cover. If by quoting me you are asking me directly, then I will answer that I don't know about that specific area, nor should I have to know unless I am asked to help out in that area at some point. Some Forest Service areas do require a permit or some form of permission, I do know that much.

In this case it is a suggestion from me as a tool to help the geocacher in question. The guidelines for this site do say "By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location." A question regarding this was raised by the cache reviewer for that area, and I will defer to his expertise and knowledge base of that area. It is apparent that he is right on top of the situation.

I'm not trying to split hairs.

I'm just trying to suggest ways to help the cacher get his cache listed.

It looks like he may very well have gotten that permission and may have made a friend in the process.

This morning I called Brian Davis, His title will be apparent when you read the rest of this. I asked about any boundary disputes between the San Juan & Rio Grande. It just so happens that he has a place just down the road from my home. He indicated that he would check into any disputes with his counterpart at Rio Grande. I received this email this afternoon.

Dear Mr Doda,

After our conversation, I did speak with Mike Hettle, Forest Surveyor for

the Rio Grande,  and the only issues he is working concerning boundary

issues are dealing with small tracts act parcels.  Additionally, there have

been some complaints in the area of the Elk Creek Campground but that was

dealing with people trespassing private land to get the river.  There were

some cabin site trespass issues just west of the Haberliein's old property

(Conejos Ranch) that were just south of 17.  Mike said he is working on the

last one of those sites.  He said that there are some probable cabin site

trespass issues around Mink Haven which is closer to Horcha but there is

nothing concerning the boundaries of our two forests.  Mike can be reached

via email (mhettle@fs.fed.us) or by phone at 719-852-6215. If you have any

further questions, my contact information is listed below.  Regards, BWD

Brian W. Davis

Assistant Center Manager Physical Resources

San Juan Public Lands Center

15 Burnett Court

Durango Colorado 81301

Post edited by moderator to remove Mr. Davis' e-mail address and home, work and cellphone numbers.

:)

We are very close to having this solved. when it is then the cache in question can be approved. Its just a matter of waiting.

And still it goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on............ :)

I agree with Sparky on this... I realize CO Admin isn't trying to be obtuse, but it seems that Conejossam has done due diligence to find out what the problem is. CO Admin's answer of "it'll all be sorted out soon," without giving any details strikes me as odd. Can't CO Admin post some info regarding what he knows specifically about this boundary dispute, and who to contact regarding the issue?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'd be frustrated as well. It's like having someone tell you you can't cross the street because an invisible bus as coming, but they'll let you know the moment it's safe to cross.

Edited by Indiana Cojones