New Cache Alert

MotorBug

quote:
Originally posted by MotorBug:

This lifetime I would like to have a FTF. I signed up for the New Cache Alert Service <ncas@rusticweb.com> but by the time I get the notice, someone has found it HOURS ago.

How do they do that?

Because the website only sends out the New Cache Alert email once a week. However, they add new caches to the website as soon as they are approved.

I recommend you look at your states page daily (or multiple times daily).

In the top right corner of the main page - Search by State. In your case, it'll be this link:

Geocaching in California

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

He's talking about the rusticweb alert service, which does seem to have been a little slow lately. We got three FTFs in our first week of being signed up for the service, but now the alerts are coming upwards of six hours after the cache is posted, by which time someone else has usually found it. I guess they just obsessively load their Nearest Caches page and see when something pops up in range; there's no better alert system out there that I'm aware of.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Is that rustice web service the same one as Skydivers service?

Yeah, rusticweb = skydiver.

For those interested, the link's here. Alas, both approvals (at least in our area) and notifications have been slow lately. I feel as though we're in a geocaching rut. Doesn't help that Hawkeye sprained his ankle and we're going to be stuck at 296 for weeks...