I Need New Socks

I currently use wool hiking socks. They aren't itchy to the touch, but I think my feet are hypersensitive to them, as my feet will itch for over a day after i take them off. I sometimes wear these socks just with my normal everyday clothes to do everyday things as well, and i notice my feet itching after I wear them casually as well.

I work in the medical field, so I know its nothing pathogenic, not athlete's foot or anything, my feet are not peeling or red, they just itch.

Do any other hikers/ cachers have this problem, and what other kinds of sock fabrics do you recommend?

Thorlos and Smartwool mostly. the smartwool are currently my favorites.

One you might like is Dahlgrens. You can get them at REI. They are alpaca wool and they are a joy to wear. The only problem is that they don't last as long as regular wool socks. I get about 8-10 wearings out of a pair and the heels are worn out. That's a pretty short life for socks that cost $12 a pair.

-E

I prefer Smartwool socks. I'm pretty sensitive to wool, but Smartwool doesn't itch me. For longer hikes, I use a synthetic liner like Thermax, or polypropelene. They keep feet drier and reduce the possibility of blisters forming. The liner may also be an option for those whose feet are senstive to wool.

Edited by briansnat
I really don't see why wool is even used for socks. It just doesn't seem like the right material to me. Maybe it is just me. Then again, I don't like wool anything.

Wool is wicking and insulating. So it gets moisture away from the feet and keeps them warm or cool. The main cause of blisters is moisture and the best prevention is a wicking sock. The best wicking socks are often wool, although there are synthetic ones, particularly synthetic liners.

Wool is wicking and insulating. So it gets moisture away from the feet and keeps them warm or cool. The main cause of blisters is moisture and the best prevention is a wicking sock. The best wicking socks are often wool, although there are synthetic ones, particularly synthetic liners.

Does wool "wick" any better than, say, cotton?

When I went hiking in Big Bend I wore the liners with cotton/poly socks and it worked like a dream. However, I had some Smartwool socks because the REI people suggested them. Problem is, the circumstances were all different on the day I tried them. The one (half) day I wore them, it was the hottest, longest hike and had a heavy pack on. One of the things I had in the pack was a change of socks. I changed back to the liner/cotton/poly sock setup halfway through because I felt like I was dangerously close to getting a blister. I wished I had worn a liner with the Smartwool so I could compare them better. So, it could have been a variety of factors, but it was still the closest I got to getting a blister the whole trip.

Edited by SamLowrey
:(  Socks?  Oooooooooopsss.... that's why my feet get so dirty after a hike...  :(

Hey, it is probably a good idea to wear boots with those socks you forgot! :o

:o Boots? What next??? :mad: Are you goint to tell me that I should wear pants when I answer the door too?????? Yeeesshhhh... :mad:

:mad:  Socks?  Oooooooooopsss.... that's why my feet get so dirty after a hike...  :mad:

Hey, it is probably a good idea to wear boots with those socks you forgot! :(

I thought everyone knew that tirediron caches in panythose and stilettos! LOL

Does wool "wick" any better than, say, cotton?

YES!!!! Cotton socks and sweaty feet are often the main cause of blisters. Blisters form easiest when the skin is moist and cotton does not wick moisture away, it just keeps it on the skin. The next main cause of blisters is ill fitted boots.

:mad:  Socks?  Oooooooooopsss.... that's why my feet get so dirty after a hike...  :o

It's a comfort thing, ok? :mad:

:mad:  Socks?  Oooooooooopsss.... that's why my feet get so dirty after a hike...  :o

in michigan, where road repair is our state pasttime, some of the guys told me they wear pantyhose in the winter because it really does help keep their legs warm. under their many other layers of clothing of course. :o

:mad:  Socks?  Oooooooooopsss.... that's why my feet get so dirty after a hike...  :(

Hey, it is probably a good idea to wear boots with those socks you forgot! :o

in michigan, where road repair is our state pasttime, some of the guys told me they wear pantyhose in the winter because it really does help keep their legs warm. under their many other layers of clothing of course. :o

Control top or sheer to the waist? No let me guess, fishnets. :(

:o  Socks?  Oooooooooopsss.... that's why my feet get so dirty after a hike...  :mad:

It's a comfort thing, ok? :(

in michigan, where road repair is our state pasttime, some of the guys told me they wear pantyhose in the winter because it really does help keep their legs warm. under their many other layers of clothing of course. :mad:

Control top or sheer to the waist? No let me guess, fishnets. :o

fishnets let in too much wind. i didn't have the chance to ask if they use control top. maybe next winter. :D

Cotton socks and sweaty feet are often the main cause of blisters. Blisters form easiest when the skin is moist and cotton does not wick moisture away, it just keeps it on the skin.

Added to the fact that cotton holds the moisture against your feet, cotton itself becomes very abrasive when wet. Think wet blue jeans. Think trying to get on or off a wet pair of socks versus a dry pair. You don't want wet cotton rubbing against your skin.

When I first started hiking, I used to wear cotton socks all of the time. I'd *always* get nasty blisters. Later, prior to starting a hike, I'd put bandaids on my feet where the blisters usually formed.

After finally being educated about cotton versus blisters, I tried a pair of actual hiking socks. No more blisters! Wearing the same boots no less. I always thought I had weird feet or ill fitting boots. Socks? Whodda thunk?! :mad:

That said, I prefer to wear Wigwam's 'Ultimax' brand of socks. They're synthetic (me and wool don't mix well). And they're about 25%-33% cheaper than the Thorlo socks that are so prevalent in the stores which I think are totally overpriced. The 'coolmax' series are really soft. I keep a few old pairs that I don't hike in anymore just to pad around the house as comfy 'slippers'. :mad:

Edited by Jeeters

I second the high praise for Wigwam's Ultimax socks! I've been using them since they first came out, I think, about 10-12 years ago. I still have a pair that has survived since then, and the elastic is still good. The rest wore out through the bottom of the sock finally being worn through, which takes ages.

They're very comfortable and are good in a very wide range of tempertures, in my experience. I'll use Ultimax socks until they stop making them (heaven forbid!) and I recommend them without reservations.

If it gets really hot out, I'll sometimes use a pair of their Coolmax sock liners like normal socks.

One you might like is Dahlgrens. You can get them at REI. They are alpaca wool and they are a joy to wear. The only problem is that they don't last as long as regular wool socks. I get about 8-10 wearings out of a pair and the heels are worn out. That's a pretty short life for socks that cost $12 a pair.

I have been using Dalhgrens for the past few months, at least once or twice a week for all day treks/hunts. I haven't worn them out yet, and I've found them to be incredibly comfortable in any condition. So far I consider them well worth the little extra money.

I've got several pair of "CoolMax" socks. Coolmax is the trade name for a synthetic material made by Dupont. It wicks the persperation away from your feet and is soft and has a cushioning effect. I know Thorlo, WigWam and several other of the larger sock manufacturers use it.

Edited by Bibman

I like Merino wool, or silk and wool blend. I have several pairs of Rockport silk/wool socks I picked up on clearance sale, and they just keep on wearing and are very cool and comfortable. I've tried lots of synthetic socks, of all kinds of blends, and they're all in drawers or thrown away. Wool is much more comfortable, and there is no way I will wear cotton socks. The army socks are good, mostly wool, but they fall down too easily if they aren't held up by something like army boots, and when I was discharged I swore I would never wear those boots again, nor would I ever run again unless someone with a gun or a very, very big knife was chasing me. [:mad:]