Proper Logging Etiquette?

Hi all! I'm hoping you can solve my question. There is a cache in my area that I went searching for twice and both times ended up not finding it after about an hour of searching each time. The first time I had logged a DNF, and the second time I simply posted a note. Now, I did notice that the last person that had found the cache back in the beginning of April said there were problems with the cache, wrote that they took it home to fix it and would bring it back the next week. I emailed this person today and discovered that they had actually misplaced the cache and still haven't returned it to its proper location! I emailed the cache owners informing them of this since it seems rather unfair for folks to search for non-existent caches. So, my question is, should I change my DNF post to just a note since the cache was never there in the first place? Should I even care!? It just bothers me that I go out looking for something twice only to discover that someone just didn't care enough to actually return the cache, or at least post a note that it still was not there! OK, enough venting for now, I'll see what you folks have to say about this. <_<

Thanks!

Tom

Yeahh, I've already contacted the owners and if they don't post something within the next day, I will. I'm wondering how often this occurs out in the caching world anyway? I'm assuming this doesn't happen too often but I could be wrong!

should I change my DNF post to just a note since the cache was never there in the first place?

No, you went there to find it and you didn't. That's a DNF, period. The reason doesn't matter.

I'm wondering how often this occurs out in the caching world anyway? I'm assuming this doesn't happen too often but I could be wrong!

There are some totally iresponsible cache owners out there. You may have run into one.

Edited by briansnat
Yeahh, I've already contacted the owners and if they don't post something within the next day, I will. I'm wondering how often this occurs out in the caching world anyway? I'm assuming this doesn't happen too often but I could be wrong!

Please do!....it will give a heads up to others that are looking to find that cache, and if...just if...the cache owner happens to tune in <_< they might take either fix the problem or archive the cache

should I change my DNF post to just a note since the cache was never there in the first place?

No, you went there to find it and you didn't. That's a DNF, period. The reason doesn't matter.

I don't know about that period. Some would say you found the nothing there was to find and let you call it a find.

My only rule is if I give up the search with no find it's a skunk and I'll log a DNF. Anything else gets a note.

From your description, it sounds like by all rights the cache should be Disabled right now but is not. I would:

1. suggest to the owner that they use the "Temporarily Disable" feature (or archive it if they have no intention of replacing it)

2. post a note warning future seekers that it's gone

Edited by Dinoprophet
Now, I did notice that the last person that had found the cache back in the beginning of April said there were problems with the cache, wrote that they took it home to fix it and would bring it back the next week. I emailed this person today and discovered that they had actually misplaced the cache and still haven't returned it to its proper location!

Hi,

Just wondering...what was the geocacher (not tanders1, the previous visitor)thinking, taking the cache and never returning it.

This sounds more like someone butting in than a cache owner gone bad (or lazy). I think the geocacher (again, not tanders1, the previous visitor) should have emailed the cache owner that it was time to do some maintenance on the cache rather than take it upon themselves to remove the cache from its hiding place.

NFA

tanders1,

I know which cache you're speaking of because I was going to go look for it a couple of weeks ago until I saw that a previous cacher posted a log that they found it smashed and took it home to fix it and intended to replace it the next week. So, I put a watch on it and was surprised when I got an email from your log that you went looking for it. <_<

But, the person who took the cache to fix it never posted again that they'd actually replaced it. Why they did not just let the cache owner deal with it, I have no idea. I also have no idea why the cache owner has not disabled the cache yet. :D

The cache owner is someone who is active and has a number of caches hidden that are in good shape, so I know they're not lazy or irresponible. Maybe they're still hoping the "good samaritan cacher" will still replace the cache as they said they would. Go figure. :ph34r:

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I emailed the cache owners and will see if they take the appropriate action. In the meantime, would it be wrong of me to post a note on the cache page telling people not to look for the cache, or would that be stepping on the owner's toes?

Thanks,

Tom

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I emailed the cache owners and will see if they take the appropriate action. In the meantime, would it be wrong of me to post a note on the cache page telling people not to look for the cache, or would that be stepping on the owner's toes?

If you didn't mention the fact that it was gone in your DNF log, then go ahead and post a note.

Edited by briansnat