Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
HowardDouglas

Yaesu Vx-5r Vs. Vx-7r

I spoke to a rep today from Yaesu and he told me to go with a 5R since I am a newbie and will be getting only my tech license first. He said the 7R has many confusing functions that I don't need right away and it is a bit more waterproof than the 5R. He also said I will not outgrow the 5R. Does anyone have the VX-5R or VX-7R? Is the 7R too difficult for a beginner? Thanks!

I have the 5R, and I'm also a "newbie" (tech license). Other than it being a little hard to program without the software/cable, I have no problems using and figuring it out.

I can't do a real comparison, but I do wish the 5R had the dual recieve.

check the reviews over at eham.com. and post this question over there. You'll get tons of good feedback.

and as for having too many functions - that's like having too much money in the bank. B)

For a number of reasons I do not use either.

Look back in this area for threads named

WHAT DO YOU USE

WHAT DO YOU USE pt-II

WHAT DO YOU USE pt-III

Lots of good info on a number of radios. I strongly recommend you get something with compatable batteries, or be prepared to haul several kinds of spares.

JMHO - YMMV.

I use a VX-7R and I wrote a review of it on eHam.net ... it's a good radio with quad band coverage, but it's definitely an advanced radio... probably the most advanced HT on the market. Either way, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad for new hams ... so what if you're a technician? You're licensed to work every band this radio offers (6m, 2m, 70cm, 220). The VX-7R is great if you're outdoors a lot, or want a rugged radio to take hiking/geocaching. The only caveat -- if you're technically challenged/confused when it comes to electronic devices, this radio probably isn't for you. If you're an electronics whiz, go for it... you won't be sorry.

My $0.02

//N1ZPP

I have to put in my plug for the Kenwood TH-F6A. Full power on 220, nice menu. Works well.

Gets good reviews on eHam as well.

You might want to look at the reviews and see how many defect from Yeasu to Kenwood rather then the other way around.

............... then there is the (upcoming) VX-9R, available in the next month or so....... :mad:

I had a VX-5R and then my wife got a 7R; I saw the advantages of the extra features, and sold the 5R to buy a 7R for myself. We now have identical radios, cloned via the VX-7 Commander shareware and a cable from RT Systems. Most of the new radios are better when programmed by a PC; they are a pain in the hoo-hah to program manually, although I have been through that as well.

The VX-7R is a great deal more waterproof than the 5R; if you take it outdoors in bad weather, this makes it worthwhile in itself.

As the VX-9R becomes available, look for the prices on the older models to drop a bit more.

By the way, we are sticking with the VX-7R's for a while :mad: .

My wife and I both have VX-5Rs. They have been very durable, even to the being dropped on the trail a time or two (not that I recommend it...).

For southern California, I wish they were VX-7Rs, because we could get good use out of the 220 band, even on low power.

If you don't have very local 220 repeaters, I think the VX-5R is a great little radio.

And, by the way, I am not a "newbie" to ham radio. The VX-5R is quite capable of doing what ever you need a FM HT to do. With a servicable general coverage receiver, and a few well thought out bells and whistles, there is not much left to ask for. (Well, maybe a local osc to receive CW and SSB....)

Dave_W6DPS

My first HT was the TH-F6A, and I found it not only easy to learn, but intuitive to use too. The learning curve seemed to be a bit easier for some people compared to the controls on the VX series - this was learned and taken at face value while reading the reviews on eHam.net. Your mileage may vary.

I think one of the most frustrating things is being at a ARES/RACES event and having one station unable to program their HT for Simplex operation, simply because they forgot the book.

Guess I'm saying that no matter what HT you get, VX or TH, please get one that you can actually use, and that is intuitive enough to be field programmable without the owners manual.

Todd - K7PKT

As the VX-9R becomes available, look for the prices on the older models to drop a bit more.

I'm not certain if you were joking or not, but the recent "rumors" of a VX-9R seem to be a hoax.

The VX-7r is a really nice radio though. I do highly recommend the free VX-7 Commander program for programming it.

I've been using the 5R for a few years now and am very happy with it except that in my urban area there is a ton of bleed-over from adjacent channels when monitoring my local PD which drives me up the wall. To be fair, it's almost as bad on my Icom mobile. The battery charge longevity in the 5R when it's just sitting around for weeks or sometimes months without being recharged is remarkable.

The 5R replaced my Icom T8A (which died and went back to the factory twice) which replaced my old Kenwood TH28A. The T8A is now assigned to my wife (who got her license at the same time I did so we have consecutive calls) but she very rarely uses it.

I've been using my Kenwood TH-F6 for over a year now and I love it. It goes with me geocaching, to work, and most other places, and it gets a bit beat up, too. I've replaced the case once already and it keeps working fine. I love the dual channel capability and the scan functions. Often times I just use it to listen to the local radio stations, knowing I've got a nice HT if I need it. Can't beat the menu system and it's really neat to plug it in to your PC to download and/or upload new frequencies. I made the box to do that with information from the web and the free software from Kenwood.

Just my $0.02

W4ASH, Ashley