Yellow Jeep Travel Bugs

X Snoopy

Sounds like fun. With 4000, how will they be distributed? I'm guessing local clubs or individuals will be called on to place them in the field? I'll have to see if our club can't get ahold of a handful B) .

Also, I'm curious- will the TB's be separated on the user stats page the way geocoins are (or project APE caches were), or will they just be another travel bug?

What a great marketing tie-in. I am tempted to drop by the dealership later to see if they have any marketing pieces. I am guessing nothing would be out until late June or even July for brochures on the contest.

Has anyone else been by their local jeep dealer?

I'm excited as all heck about this new Jeep/Geocaching.com relationship. I was gonna go grab one today, sheesh, now I gotta wait a whole month. B)

I'm in the Toledo area where all the Jeep Wranglers and Jeep Libertys are manufatured (Grand Cherokees are from Detroit) so it's gonna be really cool to get a few moving around this area. B)

ps....Jeremy, the Northwest Ohio Geocachers would be happy to help distribute them, we can even start a bunch from caches right near the old and the new Jeep plants as well as a cache located in an area where the WWII Jeeps were stored prior to loading them on ships to head overseas.....anyway, it's just an idea.

Later :(

Am I correct to assume then that, while commercial caches are not permitted, commercial travel bugs are?
Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

Sounds like permission was asked well in advance and an agreement reached. I simply don't see the problem.

There have been commercial caches in the past. Project Ape caches spring to mind. I'm looking forward to the day I can log my first Project Ape cache.

I read the distribution info and I'm wondering when individuals can request to have a jeep sent to them. I've been geocaching for almost a year, but I recently moved to a new area, and I don't think there is a geocaching organization within 2 hours of my location. I don't want my area to miss out on the jeeps. :mad:

McWeb

I don't doubt that the bugs will move outside of the US.

Why do you say that Jeremy ... Bugs seem to go any where they are taken...

That is what I said. I don't doubt that they will go outside of the US.

OOps - Sorry missed the double negative .... I don't doubt = I believe :mad::(:mad: LOL

To whom it may concern,

I would be happy to place YJTBs throughout caches in upstate New York. I love the idea of the event, and would really like to be a part of it. I can easily/happily place 10-20 YJTBs, and would even be glad to paypal you the postage (as I would think that postage for all of the YJTBs would add up quickly). On the other hand, I'm just as happy to simply be involved in the search.

NFA

Dear 'PTB'

I would like to offer myself and my family to the cause of hiding/placing some of the original travel bugs.

'The Crew' and I are still debating what to do for summer vacation and along with options all over southern AZ, we could make a family vacation of hiding some TBs.

We would find it an honor and a joy to be a part of this, maybe even make an event cache revolved around the theme?

Thanks for your considerations.

-=ShadowAce & Crew

The contest is only open to U.S. residents and such (see the official rules and regs). :rolleyes: While I'd like to see one, I personally wouldn't return it to my home and native land. I like to think I'm not the only one who feels this way, but they would certainly make an interesting collectible after the close of the contest.

It is now June 1st! Where are these travel bugs! I noticed that there is a travel bug contest (stories, photos, etc.) on the jeep web page, but I couldn't find anything that would let me know where the yellow jeep TBs are hiding!

According to this Jeremy posting, due to some storms in the midwest the TB's are a little late in going out.

Hi --- I'm part of several Jeep clubs here in South Fl & would like to help you get some of those tb's out ... Let me know -- We have several members with jeep caches and tb's, including myself who are very excited about this (even though we were excluded from the Jeep giveaway)

Here is my site -- www.miamitj.com @ my email omi@miamitj.com

Ditto MiamiTJ! I am the Treasurer for L.O.S.T. KJ WEST located in Southern California and our club would love to help distribute some YJTB's to some of the local off road areas that contain Caches. There are quite a few cachers in our area that Wheel & Cache and this promotion is perfect for us. We, KJ WEST, will also be working the West coast Camp Jeep event this year and we could place a couple YJTB's in caches up in the Camp Jeep area. :unsure: oh BTW, PLEASE?! :o

I think my better half is truely "bug bitten"...she drove 60+ miles yesterday in an attempt to find 2 YJTB's...and she did - find them. They do appear as separate listings on your "Stats Page", and also appear as a yellow Jeep icon on search listing pages. Great marketing idea...for both Jeep and Geocaching. This may add some additional excitement to a hobby we already enjoy.

Regards,

Bill

I think my better half is truely "bug bitten"...she drove 60+ miles yesterday in an attempt to find 2 YJTB's...and she did - find them.

LOL, We did the same thing. We drove about 85 miles, but we left home at 9 pm on a work night. We didn't get in until about midnight. It was a blast, my first nighttime cache and first YJTB. I wrote a long log entry about the adventure HERE. Then a couple of days later we made another road trip to grab our first geo-coin and another YJTB + we got FTF on the cache with the second YJTB. It made for a pretty cool morning.

I went to a San Francisco Bay Area Dinner (Badges 3) on June 6th. They had about 30 of them there. They passed them out to each couple that paid for a dinner. I sent mine to a friend in Baja, Mexico so he could put it in the Campo de Travel Bug. I went looking for another here in the local area. There are 200 caches within a 25 mile radius, I found one listed on a web site and then when I read the log entries, three different people had been there but it was gone. I think they are being kept for souveniers. How about in your area, is this happening?

I got 2 at the BADGES meeting last weekend and put them out yesterday. They were both picked up by the same person late last night. He has a TB hotel in the East bay. Contact him to see if he will pass them on.

At least I got a picture yesterday morning of the YJTB with a real yellow Jeep!

Edited by Wacka
What is the distance for notification of YJTB's in your area???  Just curious.

It's the same everywhere. 50 miles.

Grrr...nearest travel bug from my house is over 90 miles (and thats the only one in the final stage of a multi)...

Will one ever make it to Northern California?!?!?

I know I will probably get flamed for this, but there are a lot of people who would like to find a YJTB so they can sign up for the contest - maybe sending them to foreign countries while the "official" contest is still going on is not a good idea. We have not seen any here yet in SW Michigan, though there are a few that are circulating north of us. So far I have noticed that a couple of them have already disappeared and one person is taking the one they found to Florida. I guess I'll just have to be patient.

I know I will probably get flamed for this, but there are a lot of people who would like to find a YJTB so they can sign up for the contest - maybe sending them to foreign countries while the "official" contest is still going on is not a good idea. We have not seen any here yet in SW Michigan, though there are a few that are circulating north of us. So far I have noticed that a couple of them have already disappeared and one person is taking the one they found to Florida. I guess I'll just have to be patient.

I would be happy to either send one or two to Germany now for the international cache exchange or wait till the contest is over. If TPTB would make a ruling, I would live with it.

Hi,

I prepared some door prizes for the event this weekend on 6/19/04 (if you walk in the door, you get a prize):

smileystuff.jpg

These are gifts for all attendees from the Northern New York Geocachers (NNYGeo), and include:

• a cache container
  • a YJTB
  • "Official Geocache" ID stickers and cards
  • NNYGeo buttons
  • NNYGeo rear-windom stickers
  • NNYGeo golf pencils with erasers (if they get here in time)

I hope to see lots of Northern New York Geocachers this Saturday, the weather in Long Lake is supposed to be great!

nfa