Spray Paint On Ammo Can Caches

From what I remember on Sissy's website there is a stencil to print off where you can make your own. ARRKS did something similar using a font they downloaded off the internet to make their own stencil. I used a tippex pen on the outside of my recent container to see how long it would last.

I made a set of two stencils myself out of a sheet of plastic. It took me about an hour with a utility knife to cut them out. I had some wicked writer's cramp for a bit afterwards, but the stencils have worked out great so far on the 10 caches I've used them on.

I tried with an X-Acto knife and I hated the results so I went a little more high tech...

1) Took the geocaching emblem from the "Logo Usage" page. It's a JPEG image.

2) Turned the JPEG into a vector image using Corel Draw. This took about 30 minutes for me. A real pro could do it in 5 minutes or less.

3) Put the resulting vector image on a floppy and took it to an engraving shop where they cut it out of plexiglass using their laser engraver. I also had them cut out one out of heavy stock paper for wrapping around objects.

Look in your yellow pages under Engraving, Trophies, or Embroidery.

-E

I made my own stencil and cut it out of a sheet of poster board. It worked okay on the larger letters, but I quickly gave up on the finer print. It was a lot tougher than I expected, but I am happy with the results on 5 ammo cans that I just painted. Still, I think I will look into getting one done somewhere next time.