Mapsend Topo

In general, yes...it has dirt roads, even logging trails. While I would not call it consistent on these things, it tends to have most roads that are used to any degree. It may lack some dead-end stuff. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's pretty good, but not perfect (precise enough? B) )

If you want to get a look at a particular area, send me a set of coords and I'll post or send you a screenshot.

Edited by embra

This if my first try at sticking a screenshot in here. I'm going to see if I can get a better quality shot up in a while, but here's what I have so far.

This was zoomed in one level closer than where the minor roads showed up, but the first level in which the road names appeared.

MorgHill.jpg

Edit: Wow. That's just what it looks like on my screen. The jpg didn't look as good previewing it in my browser.

Edited by embra

It would be nice to show a gps screen of the waypoint above, but that's going to take a little more time than I've got today.

Here is the Joe & Jack review of the Meridian Gold, which includes a topo screen shot about 1/3 the way down the page.

Well, yes and no. Near all the information on the PC makes it into the GPSr's detail map (color only on color units, of course). Since the GPSr screen is so much smaller, you have to zoom out to get a broader view...and as you zoom out, detail is consolidated and.or omitted. Road names, for example, will drop out as you zoom out.

At the closest zoomed-in levels you see just about everything in the map above, but you would have to move the cursor to scroll the view in order to cover everything. Looking at the GPSr would be sorta like looking at the pc screen through a cardboard tube.

So we deal with these tradeoffs--detail and scope--by zooming in and out as needed. In practice it works pretty well.

If no one else does it, I will try to generate a detail map and take some screen shots on my Plat by tomorrow.

Here's a screen shot of that same waypoint on the Meridian screen. While the Meridian has a grainier look than Garmins, this photo makes it look worse than it is (poor camera, overblown image). However, it should give you a sense of what you can get.

500.jpg